Cold?
IGNORED

Sunspot Activity

kar999

Posted
Activity level 10 right now, possibly peeps will see some tonight :huh:

http://www.sec.noaa.gov/pmap/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a very dynamic bright aurora been going for the last hour or so here. Unfortunately there is a veil of cloud but it's strong enough to be shining through. Anyone with a clear sky is in for a real treat tonight! I've tried some photos but I think the cloud and the fast moving dancing lights will be too much for anything other than a fuzzy smudge.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Shame you couldn't capture what you could see there Frogesque.

Too much misty cloud here for me to see anything last night.

Posted
Shame you couldn't capture what you could see there Frogesque.

Too much misty cloud here for me to see anything last night.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry you couldn't get a view :huh: The pic is rubbish although I really didn't expect to get anything at all. They stood still just long enough to get some detail in that shot. Really strange lights, proper beam-me-up-alien-ghostbuster stuff twirling and dancing patches shooting across the sky then regrouping before setting off again. Probably the most dynamic show I've seen apart from a full corona some time ago that kept blinking on and off with the rest of the sky lit up like a Christmas tree.

Posted

In the last hour the view of the lgobe from the north on the sticky at the top has turned from green to orangey/brown once again...

Posted

Yep Shuggee. Activity has been fairly high for a few days now and will probably continue so for a while. The Kp index has been averaging around 6 for more than 3 days now and as I write this a G2 geomagnetic storm is in progress. For the next few days, keep one eye on the indicators above and one on the Northern skies!

Here's the official forecast.

Geophysical Activity Forecast: The geomagnetic field is expected to range from unsettled to major storm levels. Solar wind speed remains very high and further transient flow is expected on 13 September. Barring any further CME activity from Region 808, the geomagnetic field should return to unsettled to active periods by 15 September.

Sunspot 808 is decaying but its still got some potential and it's pointing earthwards and will be so for quite a number of days yet.

Edited by kar999

Posted

the spot is in decay.. even so some scientists are expecting a final farewell from this spot..

its falling appart too rapidly and when this happens there is usually some energy to be released.. the spot did shrink before it let loose its monster flare..

time will tell..

Posted
time will tell..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We didn't have to wait long! (from spaceweather.com)

A coronal mass ejection (CME) is racing toward Earth and it could spark a severe geomagnetic storm when it arrives--perhaps tonight (Sept. 14th and 15th). People everywhere should be alert for auroras.

The CME was hurled into space on Sept. 13th by an X1-class explosion at sunspot 798. If this incoming CME does hit Earth's magnetic field as hard as forecasters expect, auroras could appear in places where they are seldom seen: California, Arizona, Texas and elsewhere.

Let's hope it's not another daytime storm here and the skies aren't cloudy.

Posted
We didn't have to wait long! (from spaceweather.com)

A coronal mass ejection (CME) is racing toward Earth and it could spark a severe geomagnetic storm when it arrives--perhaps tonight (Sept. 14th and 15th). People everywhere should be alert for auroras.

The CME was hurled into space on Sept. 13th by an X1-class explosion at sunspot 798. If this incoming CME does hit Earth's magnetic field as hard as forecasters expect, auroras could appear in places where they are seldom seen: California, Arizona, Texas and elsewhere.

Let's hope it's not another daytime storm here and the skies aren't cloudy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's the furthest south auroras have been seen in this country?

Posted
What's the furthest south auroras have been seen in this country?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How far south do want the Empire to extend? :(

A seriously good X class flare (10 or above) pointed directly at Earth and arriving during UK darkness with no moonlight may produce visible aurora from the Channel Islands. A class X20 might be visible from Southern France.

To see one much further south than the Midlands you do need good veiwing of a northern horizon, no light pollution and crystal clear skies. The Kp 9 line (which is only a guide) runs roughly from North of the Wash to South Wales. Kp 10 would include the tip of Cornwall and Northern France, possibly Paris.

One imprtant point to bear in mind, the Auroral Oval is affected by the Earth's magnetic field and therefore has a relationship with your Magnetic North location, not Geographic North (although for the UK there isn't a lot of difference)

As a guide, faint aurora have been seen from Mexico City in the past but this is a rare event.

Edited by frogesque

Posted

Just to follow up, check out the spaceweather.com gallery for October 21/22 - 2001 Scroll down the page and you will see photos taken from L'Escarene, near Nice, France and Hortoneda, Lerida, Spain

Posted

All those photos from that site are amazing.

Posted
All those photos from that site are amazing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So true Shuggee. If the geomagnetic storms occur when its daylight or cloudy here I go to that site and weep!

Any ideas from anyone if it could be spectacular tonight???

Doesn't look that way at the moment just a mild storm in progress but keep your eyes on the indicators on the pinned post above and...

"On 15 September, major to severe storm periods are possible due to the expected arrival of the CME "

Posted

I'm just in having been for a walk along the beach this evening and there was very active aurora visible after sunset until I left. I can't see if its still going due to lousy light pollution near the house (Really, does 1 small car park need 10 street lights?)

I'll be off out again soon - watch this space, or better still watch the sky!

Posted

WEAK IMPACT: Bad news for sky watchers: a coronal mass ejection, pictured below, hit Earth's magnetic field this morning, but its impact did not trigger a strong geomagnetic storm. There were no widespread auroras.

Now for the good news: giant sunspot 798 remains on the sun, facing Earth and popping off X-flares. More CMEs and auroras are possible in the days ahead.

(spaceweather.com)

Posted

I'll be in the wilds of the Borders so I'm hoping for some activity but the weather looks to be against me.

Posted

On going flare at the moment. C class at the minute..fingers crossed.

EDIT: Still rising..will be at M soon :)

http://www.sec.noaa.gov/today.html#xray

EDIT2: Current Flux Value

Solar X-ray Flux at 15 9 2005 1536 UT: C4.8 rising (GOES 12)

http://www.ips.gov.au/Solar/1/7

EDIT3: Fizzled out :(

Edited by Mondy

Posted

Meant to add earlier on. I wrote an email complaining to the BBC news website wondering why such a big profile spot (which at the time had blasted out 7 x-rays) was not covered in their Space and Science section..

Two days laters a reply back from them saying that the staff writer on the space and science section couldn't cover everything! :(

It's now on the BBC site :) Bottom right corner :):(

Edited by Mondy

Posted

NIce to see you posting Mondy :-)

Typical - just got in fromt he pub and there's the possible start of a storm. Too much light pollution in the middle of town and a bit cloudy anyway. Oh well.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

You'll have to turn the rain off here.

Posted

Yep weather's poor here too, some holes in the cloud though - I'll have a quick run out of town just to see if it's worth travelling further.

Posted

Persisting down here... no chance of anything tonight for me... typical. :(