Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Solar and Aurora Activity Chat

shuggee

Posted
17 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Its the 4th Time I have travelled to Norway to see them the first time was in March 2018 and saw them in both Sweden and Norway, then went again in October 2021 after everything got opened up again after Covid and again saw them in Finland and Sweden. Went in January and February and saw them 4 times. The most important thing to have up there is a car to be mobile and find the clear skies as Tromso is coastal and gets plagued by a lot of thick cloud. Have also seen them 3 times in the USA whilst on Storm Chasing trips, the lowest at 44N in Colorado on that last huge event in 2015. 

The Northern Lights Tours area has been added to the Weather Holidays Section now and has lots of Info and Pictures from the recent trips, what we get upto in the day with Daytime Fjord location Photography, Snowmobiling, Dog Sledding, Whale Watching etc. Link Below

They really are once in a lifetime trips, and the snow is epic if you like that as well, the -28c last week not soo much lol but we have the winter clothing for that so was still toasty warm.

I see you have a October trip what's the temperature like then? And too soon for snow?

Posted
2 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I see you have a October trip what's the temperature like then? And too soon for snow?

October is about 2-7c in the Daytime and the nights are generally 1-3c in Tromso and 0c to -5c in Lapland. Snow showers are just starting from the 1st to 15th but by the end of October they are starting to get more accumulations at lower levels. You cant do the winter activities only on the Jan and Feb trips. The Whale watching is January only when you see the Orcas and Sperm Whales

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

October is about 2-7c in the Daytime and the nights are generally 1-3c in Tromso and 0c to -5c in Lapland. Snow showers are just starting from the 1st to 15th but by the end of October they are starting to get more accumulations at lower levels. You cant do the winter activities only on the Jan and Feb trips. The Whale watching is January only when you see the Orcas and Sperm Whales

So what's the entertainment for October daytime?

Posted
14 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

So what's the entertainment for October daytime?

We tour around the Fjords, Photography, Really stunning Autumn colours up there that time of year as well. The Autumn ones are more of a concentrated Aurora trip though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist
4 hours ago, Southern Storm said:

I'm guessing you new there would be a decent chance, and were ready and waiting? And if so, can you recommend where to look for any decent reliable sources, within reason of course, just Like any rare phenomenon, there will always be letdowns.

I thought waiting for, and predicting noctilucent clouds were one massive tease 

Looks like my new fascination is going to cause a lot of heartache 🙃

I often have a look at Spaceweather to check for early heads-up of CME etc. I wasn't exactly waiting, but I'd been out to photograph Jupiter and Venus. Then got home to sort my pets out. After that the Aurora sites were showing red status, so went out again.

Also check this one  

This is good for checking general activity

AURORAWATCH.LANCS.AC.UK

See the aurora borealis from the UK

There is also Glendale Aurora app for live reports, but sometimes the reports don't seem legit, or it's light pollution people are mistaking for Aurora.  

gsa_200.png
AURORA-ALERTS.UK

How to install the Glendale Aurora App on your Android device, iPhone/iPad or PC and learn how to use it.

Edited by Sprites
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, NLC
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft

Live right now Finland

Edit: I am seeing reports of KP7 on spaceweather.com.

Update

Northern Light Live Sodankylä, Finland

Edited by Raindrops
  • Like 4

Posted

If you rewind to 20:25 on this cam you will see a rocket experiment done by Sweden.

Northern Light Live Sodankylä, Finland

Enjoy

Edit: update ok so maybe rockets are from Norway

Andoyaspace

Edited by Raindrops
  • Thanks 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

Wow, this is live from the Lerwick Web cam at the moment.  Cannot see anything from my location.

Could contain: Nature, Night, Outdoors, Sky, Aurora

Beautiful viewing tonight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Update NASA is also involed with experiments tonight, just in case anyone is wondering about the extra rockets lol.

LIVE! NASA VortEx Launch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

• Like 8

Posted

Shower activity masking what is good aurora display up here in NE Scotland...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Shropshire, Nottinghamshire, this gives me confidence in saying that I managed to catch some 'Airglow' whilst out Aurora Hunting between the clouds from 9-10pm. It took a 30s exposure facing north and putting-up with the lights of Manchester to the NW to see it, but the Airglow is just about evident in the middle of the shot where the colour turns a more darker shade of purple and the height matches another shot i've seen from Nottingham.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Sunset, Night, Starry Sky, Silhouette

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Purple, Cloud, Landscape, Night, Scenery, Person, Weather

Edited by SNOW_JOKE
  • Like 7

Posted

Just crept into my 10 year olds bedroom for a look. Nearly killed myself tripping over "something" on the bedroom floor. Almost woke her up too. But pretty flashies for me 😞 Starry night though!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Finally managed to get some dancing Aurora here in South Staffs/Shropshire... Some stills and time lapses.. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

This Geomagnetic Storm has delayed the Rocket Lab Electron launch from New Zealand which was due at 0756, still awaiting to hear if it's a 'scrub' which is looking likely. And later on this afternoon Space-X is due to carry Starlink 5-5 which will also likely be put back to a later date.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1