Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Solar and Aurora Activity Chat

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

I did about 3+and hours of waiting in -2C , but as Southern Storm says the activity eased off. The moonlight didn't help ,but it's so much down to luck with the Aurora. I just about get the Aurora on camera two nights in a row, quite unusual in itself. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days
5 hours ago, Southern Storm said:

Hi guys, unfortunately it the second showing never amounted to anything, which is a real shame if you missed out.

Sorry if I got some people's expectations up with my earlier post, that same optimism resulted in me standing an extra 3 hours in the freezing cold, with feet like blocks of ice 😂

I have to admit that I got very lucky tonight, because it clouded over not long after I arrived at Knowlton church

but the cloud had cleared just in time before the spectacle began, just before 9pm.

It was visible to the naked eye, even though the moon was quite bright, however, i was able to see a faint red glow to the Northwest, before the aurora started filling the sky directly north.

It was a truly amazing experience to see the aurora, especially this far south, and something I've always wanted to see, I'll never forget it .

I Hope there are a few surprises left before this spell of increased activity come to an end 

Here are some snaps from this evening, not many really, as each exposure was around 20 second long, and the whole event from Start to finish only lasted around 6 minutes!

southern Storm

Could contain: Nature, Night, Outdoors, Sky, Grass, Plant, Scenery, Aurora, Person

Could contain: Nature, Night, Outdoors, Sky, Grass, Plant, Aurora

Could contain: Nature, Night, Outdoors, Sky, Grass, Plant, Person, Aurora

Could contain: Nature, Night, Outdoors, Sky, Grass, Plant, Scenery, Landscape, Building, Aurora

Lovely pics & a great vantage point. Glad you got to see them. I’ll see them one day I’m sure🤞🏼

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, Southern Storm said:

Hi guys, unfortunately it the second showing never amounted to anything, which is a real shame if you missed out.

Sorry if I got some people's expectations up with my earlier post, that same optimism resulted in me standing an extra 3 hours in the freezing cold, with feet like blocks of ice 😂

I have to admit that I got very lucky tonight, because it clouded over not long after I arrived at Knowlton church

but the cloud had cleared just in time before the spectacle began, just before 9pm.

It was visible to the naked eye, even though the moon was quite bright, however, i was able to see a faint red glow to the Northwest, before the aurora started filling the sky directly north.

It was a truly amazing experience to see the aurora, especially this far south, and something I've always wanted to see, I'll never forget it .

I Hope there are a few surprises left before this spell of increased activity come to an end 

Here are some snaps from this evening, not many really, as each exposure was around 20 second long, and the whole event from Start to finish only lasted around 6 minutes!

southern Storm

Could contain: Nature, Night, Outdoors, Sky, Grass, Plant, Scenery, Aurora, Person

Could contain: Nature, Night, Outdoors, Sky, Grass, Plant, Scenery, Landscape, Building, Aurora

What time was this?

12 hours ago, Southern Storm said:

southern Storm

What time was this?

• Like 1

Posted

I've seen them in the 80s, November I think. The display lasted about 2 hours with moving purple rays to about 70 degrees. I was too young to have a camera at the time.

In 2015 December 21st I could see a silvery mist on the horizon, there were no colours to the eye ,this was the green area.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Southern Storm said:

21:00 

Brilliant photos

Was there much on camera before or afterwards? 

From what I can tell the Aurora was just about showing up on camera between 22-01.00.

I stayed out hoping for another flare up I haven't warmed up yet...🥶

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!
15 minutes ago, Sprites said:

Brilliant photos

Was there much on camera before or afterwards? 

From what I can tell the Aurora was just about showing up on camera between 22-01.00.

I stayed out hoping for another flare up I haven't warmed up yet...🥶

Thanks 

Other than the main show 

From what I could see, there looked to be a slight green sky glow, with some very faint red shafts low on the horizon. 

I had one camera shooting continuously at 24mm wide 

just downloading them to the Pc 

First time creating a time lapse from stills as I usually let the camera do it, but at the cost of not being able to properly edit the end result, not something I was willing to do with such a rare event, more work but hopefully it will pay off. 

You did the right thing in staying out, even if it didn't amount to anything, sometimes you just have to brave the cold whatever the end result. 

I was planning on heading out Sunday evening just to do a star time lapse, I had no idea there was a chance of aurora, especially down here, but I decided to watch tennis instead 😖

I did give myself a good telling off for being lazy after seeing everyone's photos yesterday morning 😂

Could contain: Nature, Night, Outdoors, Sky, Aurora

• Like 7

Posted

Here is a short Time-lapse of Mondays Aurora.

Looking back shows how lucky I got with the cloud, if it had happened a couple of minutes later, myself and many others at that location would have been oblivious to what was going on.

Edited by Southern Storm
  • Like 6

Posted
19 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Hopefully as we get nearer to solar maximum in 2015, we get some truely spectacular displays. I think the late October 2003 displays were the last great ones seen from the UK.

I hope your wish comes true 

Was the 2003 event as widely seen? 

I was living up north back then, but with no real coverage on the news, plus not having access to the net, I would have been oblivious to it anyway.

Also, it made me wonder if there is a best time of the year to see aurora? Especially when it comes to lower latitudes

Now seem to be the sweet spot.

Not too light in the evenings, and we are heading towards the equinox, which means our hemisphere is more side on in relation to the sun than in would have been around the time of the winter solstice 🤔

Edited by Southern Storm
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Yes, at least from other parts of the world but clouds plagued my area, so I didn't see them

Thanks for the link

I'll have to read some of the early pages of the thread, I'm sure there will be plenty of information that others have added over the years, after all 

This thread was started in 2006 😲

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Have had some mad displays in the last 6 weeks or so. Firstly went to Norway on a Netweather Scouting Mission for starting to run tours up there. It was my 5th Visit and have now over 150 viewing locations up there. The January 22nd Display was very nice only a KP1 but the Aurora Oval is pretty much overhead as you are at 70 Degrees North up there.

22nd January on the Norway/Finland Border

Then went Back for a 2nd Trip last week and another decent display this time a KP3 Event and Clear Skies over the Fjords which always make for some stunning viewpoints

Then after getting a 5 Hour Blizzard our flight home got delayed from Tromso so we took off when darkness fell and big props to our Pilot who turned all the Cabin lights off and told the whole plane to head to the right hand side to watch the unfolding display as the sunset was in progress way off to the west.

Could contain: Nature, Night, Outdoors, Sky, Aurora, Animal, Bird

Then as I got back from the trip over the weekend I knew once watching the Bz swing down to -17 South that the Aurora would be viewable at much lower latitudes and grabbed it like Jamie at 51.5N in Leigh On Sea

Could contain: Nature, Night, Outdoors, Starry Sky, Sky, Silhouette

The trips also gave us rare Sun Pillars and also in January the beautiful Nacreus Clouds on 25th January

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Sunset, Cloud, Cumulus, Weather, Sunlight, Rainbow

Its been a bit of a mad winter for Solar Pictures.

The Solar Maximum is still good for the next few years and we will be running more trips upto the Arctic Circle for anybody that is Interested. They are a Photography trip as well for any Photogs out there.

Regards

Paul

Send me details!!! 

Posted

Will do Beka!

By the way cant believe I got a 20 year badge flash up on here the other day, has it really been 20 years since the site was started! Thats madness

• Thanks 1

Posted

That's cheating Paul 😀 

Awesome photos 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Sprites said:

That's cheating Paul 😀 

Awesome photos 

Thanks Mate

Yh its almost the same as living in a permanent Tornado shooting videos of a err Tornado.

Like shooting fish in a barrell up there

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Sprites said:

A few more Aurora photos from 26-28 February. I missed the peaks but still a subtle display.

Could contain: Tree, Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Tree Trunk, Landscape, Oak, Grass, Silhouette, Vegetation

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Night, Landscape, Pond, Scenery, Vegetation, Land, Lake

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Landscape, Night, Land, Lake, Pond, Vegetation, Scenery

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Cloud, Landscape, Night, Pond, Lake, Scenery, Tree

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Night, Landscape, Pond, Lake, Vegetation, Scenery, Flare

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Night, Pond, Water, Lake, Land, Scenery, Silhouette 

Could contain: Nature, Night, Outdoors, Sky, Lake, Water, Scenery, Pond, Landscape, Land

Short phone time lapse

Amazing photos sprites, it looks like the conditions couldn't have been any better for you.

Seeing the aurora reflection on the lake 😍Very well done 

Were they taken on the first or second night?

Posted
4 minutes ago, Southern Storm said:

Amazing photos sprites, it looks like the conditions couldn't have been any better for you.

Seeing the aurora reflection on the lake 😍Very well done 

Were they taken on the first or second night?

They were taken on Sunday from about 22.00, I just got the tail end of what you captured. On Monday I picked it up again at the same location, but it was barely registering on camera. 

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Have had some mad displays in the last 6 weeks or so. Firstly went to Norway on a Netweather Scouting Mission for starting to run tours up there. It was my 5th Visit and have now over 150 viewing locations up there. The January 22nd Display was very nice only a KP1 but the Aurora Oval is pretty much overhead as you are at 70 Degrees North up there.

22nd January on the Norway/Finland Border

Then went Back for a 2nd Trip last week and another decent display this time a KP3 Event and Clear Skies over the Fjords which always make for some stunning viewpoints

Then after getting a 5 Hour Blizzard our flight home got delayed from Tromso so we took off when darkness fell and big props to our Pilot who turned all the Cabin lights off and told the whole plane to head to the right hand side to watch the unfolding display as the sunset was in progress way off to the west.

Could contain: Nature, Night, Outdoors, Sky, Aurora, Animal, Bird

Then as I got back from the trip over the weekend I knew once watching the Bz swing down to -17 South that the Aurora would be viewable at much lower latitudes and grabbed it like Jamie at 51.5N in Leigh On Sea

Could contain: Nature, Night, Outdoors, Starry Sky, Sky, Silhouette

The trips also gave us rare Sun Pillars and also in January the beautiful Nacreus Clouds on 25th January

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Sunset, Cloud, Cumulus, Weather, Sunlight, Rainbow

Its been a bit of a mad winter for Solar Pictures.

The Solar Maximum is still good for the next few years and we will be running more trips upto the Arctic Circle for anybody that is Interested. They are a Photography trip as well for any Photogs out there.

Regards

Paul

That's a cracking set of pictures there Paul. 

Is this the first time you've traveled specifically for aurora? If so you must have been very happy with what you got to see. 

It's fair to say your potential customer base has just increased 😉 especially after the few nights 

I'd definitely like to find out more information on the tour's 

I'll keep an eye out for any future updates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Southern Storm said:

That's a cracking set of pictures there Paul. 

Is this the first time you've traveled specifically for aurora? If so you must have been very happy with what you got to see. 

It's fair to say your potential customer base has just increased 😉 especially after the few nights 

I'd definitely like to find out more information on the tour's 

I'll keep an eye out for any future updates.

Its the 4th Time I have travelled to Norway to see them the first time was in March 2018 and saw them in both Sweden and Norway, then went again in October 2021 after everything got opened up again after Covid and again saw them in Finland and Sweden. Went in January and February and saw them 4 times. The most important thing to have up there is a car to be mobile and find the clear skies as Tromso is coastal and gets plagued by a lot of thick cloud. Have also seen them 3 times in the USA whilst on Storm Chasing trips, the lowest at 44N in Colorado on that last huge event in 2015. 

The Northern Lights Tours area has been added to the Weather Holidays Section now and has lots of Info and Pictures from the recent trips, what we get upto in the day with Daytime Fjord location Photography, Snowmobiling, Dog Sledding, Whale Watching etc. Link Below

They really are once in a lifetime trips, and the snow is epic if you like that as well, the -28c last week not soo much lol but we have the winter clothing for that so was still toasty warm.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Sprites said:

They were taken on Sunday from about 22.00, I just got the tail end of what you captured. On Monday I picked it up again at the same location, but it was barely registering on camera. 

I'm guessing you new there would be a decent chance, and were ready and waiting? And if so, can you recommend where to look for any decent reliable sources, within reason of course, just Like any rare phenomenon, there will always be letdowns.

I thought waiting for, and predicting noctilucent clouds were one massive tease 

Looks like my new fascination is going to cause a lot of heartache 🙃

• Like 1