Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Part 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Yesterday the BBC Predicted our snow to be gone by 12pm but now we are having it till 3pm!

7 hours more! woot!

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Yes Stephen/Steve, overall this has been a decent little event and its still not over yet for some, its certainly not been a let-down like some suggested last night when they panicked.

Nick, I'm watching that feature very closely, i noted the UKMO yesterday progged a rather deep area of snowfall across CS England at 9am whichmoved NE towards East Anglai by 3pm. The increase in precip that is being noted by some over the west country appears to be that same feature and the precip developing there is suggestive of locally more forcing being present. Does need to be watched though becuas eon the n.side of the mass snowfall amounts could locally increase quite a lot.

Looks like its going to get very slushy here, tohugh if the mass does arrive here then it will slow down the rate of any thaw but it is thawing slowly, very slowly!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
i thought you would get more then me to be honest i think im just a litttle too north :lol:

its coming! BBC say we should have snow until 3pm then it stops then a few flurries and then perhaps a little more snow at 9pm.

Then comes saturday to deal with!

Posted
snow2.jpg

whoo here in mid wales

Excellent pic there, hoping for the same here :lol: :(:)

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
not snowing in Leeds yet!

would i be correct in saying that our best chances are later this afternoon and tonight? and then again friday night into saturday?

Sheffield's just on the very edge. Someones just come in from northern side and theres no Snow lying there. Still light and almost stopped again here at Shef Uni.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Looking at the radar loops, the Western extent of snow band seems to be pivoting back South across S'ern England, so it may not be over for areas of Central Southern England and SE south of M4/London yet. The meso low developng towards the SE this morning helping the ppn to back South a little.

Posted

Bizarre according to radar should be snowing or at least raining (shudder) but its just cloudy :lol:

Posted

Pretty amazing much of the home counties are having their deepest snowcover since February 1991 yet we've just passed the 2nd warmest January ever!

I suppose we should expect much of the same in the future with global warming.

Posted

here in oxford its been snowing since 2/3 oclock or thereabouts (something like that) non-stop. Still coming down fairly densely, and i see a powerful band on the approach. Here is the link to putfile where i have a range of photos which i took earlier this morning:

http://www.putfile.com/wellingtonboot/images/80853

Sorry that some are blurry, but flash ruined the photos because you could only see falling snow, so i didnt use flash for most.

Posted

Update on the Snow: Heavy here now and windy and you can see some small drifts forming now!

Posted
F**k all here

Not even a millimetre

suprised since your quite close, you should have some soon an an inch of snow already here

Posted

coming down heavy again here in N Kent on top of the 4cm already on the ground, had a lil thaw but is being topped up quite nicely at the moment :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Can we have a no snow thread please so some people can wallow in our grief.

Posted
well according to net weather radar.. it should be snowing... unless paul has lent you his thunder shield :)

The radar is wrong as it's most definatly not snowing! Its just overcast, cold yes but i fear if we do get any snow it will melt straight away. May have to drive down to Kent instead!

Posted

OP, I remember GP pointing out the classic weak El nino signal about 3 weeks ago, and it was STUNNINGLY close to what we have right now. For me this is nearly on par with Jan 04 but stil lnot quite as deep though any flare-up in the precip may well tip it over the edge if it settles.

Nick, watching that pluse very closely indeed, as you said for areas close tothe M4 it will prolong any snowfall for another few hours if its right tohugh i have a sneaky feeling south of the M4 it will turn to rain by mid-morning.

snowfall rate has decreased again here but it is stil lsnowing lightly, as it has doen since about 7am.

Posted
Update on the Snow: Heavy here now and windy and you can see some small drifts forming now!

same here mate alot heavier now, yep we could have it til 3pm perhaps later! :)

Posted

Same here Kold - Thawing slowly but surely (Especially on grass) but the snowfall here is slowing it down and increasing snow levels on pavements/cars etc.

Archived