Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Part 7

Posted

The snow seemed to be very hit and miss along southern coastal counties. Shoreham apparently had mostly rain which is about 12-14 miles to the south-east but being on the northern side of the south downs really helped me here in stopping that pesky on shore wind.

Sussex downs ski centre expected to open today! good luck to the north later in the week. Just goes to show, last winter was much colder and yet this winter I've had the two best snowfalls since moving down here from london. :yahoo:

Posted
Just to show how quickly the snow has settled this pic was taken after just 10mins of it snowing.

Having problems uploading so had to upload to putfile.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4716304

Hi Dave, I've had problems uploading too, as there has been plenty of pictures I've wanted to share. Not sure whether this is related to last evenings ridiculously heavy traffic on the site, which might resume soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
2 inches here in Essex. Still snowing with ice, sleet mixed. Very wet.

Oooh another woodhamer! Just watching the net hoping my boys' school is closed.

WOW 730 radar!!!

look at the echoes over hampshire STEAMING ESE- on target for London again-

currently heading towards Lomdon WEST...

This is still developing- but the fat lady is still wrapped up in bed- somewhere in South Wales....

the next 2 hours somewhere in the South could get another pasting.........

S

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
Been coming down here for about an hour, a good covering now. Prospects look better for the Southern part of Northrn England than perhaps initially thought.

Well done to the GFS, who predicted the snow to reach the North Midlands at 6am and have been consistent with this since Monday.

Yes indeed Ian, and i can confirm we have snow here in Burton, only around 1cm, but becoming moderate now and blowing about in the biting north east wind, temperature currently -1c, wind chill -7.6c.

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

sorry double post, forum went strange on me.

Edited by moogyboobles

Posted

Morning All

Well drove from Southend to SE London this morning, left Southend at 5:15 with the snow just starting to fall, by the time I got to Basildon the snow was quiet heavy with nice large flakes and a temp of -1 according to the car, there were one or two cars already in the hedge, going over the QE2 bridge was fun in the heavy snow, got to Lewisham only 10mins later than normal, there must have been a good inch and a half of lying snow. The train into Central London 20 mins late so all in all not a bad trip. Still snowing at London Bridge, but because the council emptied the contents of a small salt mine over the streets its just a watery mess.

If you do not have to work... enjoy....

Cheers

FC

Posted

Yeah it went the same way here Dave, mind you that was about 4am that it went really fast, got an ich and a half in the first 60 mins of snowfall thanks to a fairly intense band of snowfall which was pleasent enough.

Anyway right now still got light snow and looking at the radar it should continue that way for a little while yet thanks to the lack of northward movement. The whole is still pivoting mind you so it may get a little further north if only due to this factbut it does look like its ever so slowly decaying right now, snowfall rates still around 1 inch an hour in a few places though this coverage is decreasing right now.

Steve- the key is tohugh mate will the tmeps be too marginal by the time it reaches here, esp now we ar eon the back-edge of the front, but I agree for our location it eneds to be watched, at least this burst should prolong the snowfall and the longer it lasts the colder the temps should stay.

Still snowing here!

(ps, actually, is that the developing low pressure system that the GFS did prog to come across the south i wonder, it would explain why that are aha spepped up, certainly keep an eye on it and pray the mild air doesn't advect too far north by the time reaches you.)

Edited by kold weather

Posted

Well, being that this is my first snow event I'd like (if it's possible, and, of course, if you feel so inclined) marks (out of ten) for my risk chart I posted yesterday here I think I screwed the N Wales bit, but it's not all over yet.

Posted

rather poor here I must say, its stopped snowing, and barely half an inch

Edit just started again, very light, wheres the heavy stuff

Posted

I reckon were pretty much in the line of fire here in oxford. Its snowing hard here again right now anyway, and those green and yellow areas are spread like a net to cath us in the middle

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

Looks to be developing again to the south - should intesify as it begins to hit up against the cold air?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

ok so BBC weather was just on and showed snow missing this area totally, however unless I'm seeing things there is currently blizzard like conditions and 4cm of snow :yahoo:

Posted

WOW 730 radar!!!

look at the echoes over hampshire STEAMING ESE- on target for London again-

currently heading towards Lomdon WEST...

This is still developing- but the fat lady is still wrapped up in bed- somewhere in South Wales....

the next 2 hours somewhere in the South could get another pasting.........

S

Hope your not referring to my mrs steve :yahoo:

Posted
the key is tohugh mate will the tmeps be too marginal by the time it reaches here, esp now we ar eon the back-edge of the front, but I agree for our location it eneds to be watched, at least this burst should prolong the snowfall and the longer it lasts the colder the temps should stay.

wouldnt the already lying snow act as a refrigerator anyway to keep temps down.?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well light flurries arrived here at 6:45 earlier than predicted. Since then it's been gradually getting heavier and it's snowing quiet well here. perhaps it's going further North than first thought. Louise Lear kept us really out of it until later on when ti was dying out.

Looking at the Radar it doesn't seem there's much heavy stuff around although it's a lot better than previous frontal Snow events. Theres actually a front left. Looks like light Snow for us all day possible 25 mm depth not much more.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
ok so BBC weather was just on and showed snow missing this area totally, however unless I'm seeing things there is currently blizzard like conditions and 4cm of snow :lol:

this snow seems to have reinvigorated itself as it hit the northwest, probably heard the the BBC say it wouldn't amount to much now.