Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Part 7

Posted
Difficult to resist it Dave n'est ce pas? It all pushed through faster than I expected so fell overnight instead of during today, but that's a little detail!

Enjoy whatever you have! Yes, howling wind and a temp up to 6C here! It's a different country down here sometimes.

It was always forecast to fall over night?? You must have been out on your own with that idea!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Does the temp fall when the snow arrives? because its not that cold here only -0.8C.

Posted

I do agree with you mackerel sky, the met-office have predicted this very well to be fair, considering hiow much modekl uncertainty there has been they've done very well indeed.

West- Yeah this front came through a good 6hrs faster then expected, but shows how even nowdays we can't always forecast these systems to a great degree of accuracy. amazing, the models can prog a bartlett at 240hrs and be right ye tit can't forecast a snow event correctly from just 6hrs out!!

Front is going to get much further north then where it is right now I suspect and so now its as far north a sits likely to get I suspect it'll just sit there and slowly decay and fizzle out, tohugh its still got enough poke in it to give some decent snowfall for the Midalnds.

Anyway still snowing and gotten atouch heavier but still light, if it really isn't going to get much further north then i should stay under the back-edge of the front for the rest of the time if this is right.

Edited by kold weather

Posted

Snow now starting to fall here close to the Suffolk coast. Brisk breeze off the sea, and I think it will turn the snow to rain later on.

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
Wow. I am a lucky sod to be getting this moderate-intensity shower now; if you look at the radar.

Stop complaining - we must be the only place in Britain that hasn't even seen a cloud the entire cold spell!

Posted

Not even 1 snow flake fell here in Belfast overnight. Heading home to bed in an hour and don't expect to see anything when I wake up later unless any of you wonderful people can give me some hope. Maybe I will just have to wait until Saturday. :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Ive just seen how close it is on the radar, god thats frustrating.

Posted
Well the snow is really become lighter right now as it finally starts to pull away to the north, ut what a great scene we have this morning, stunningly white all ove the place, only the roads have no snow on them, everything else is covered by a fairly thick covering, not massivly deep but still plenty enough to make a good snowman!

Still really heavy precip in S.Wales, must be a very large covering over there now if its all still snow, would love to hear from Crimesone or someone else in that sort of region, must be getting quite deep now, the snow.

Other then that the band is evidently starting to weaken, still got a fair amount of mod snow present but even this is starting to now reduce in coverafge as it starts to lose forcing and opushes its little heart out against the cold air

Hi Kold,

Woke up too around 7-8 inches here. Everything covered including roads. Still snowing although it is lighter now. Bit worried as my car is stuck in the street and my mrs is pregnant and overdue!! Any ideas how long it may keep snowing here?? Will send some pics soon

WW

Edit Snowing heavy again

Edited by WINTRY WALES

Posted

Also lot sof ice underneath the snow as well, can see it where a car had pulled out nearby and can see it all iced up in the wake, snowing right now with large fluffy flakes, pleasent snow at the moment but not to heavy.

Stev, does that suggest that the band has reache dits northern limit or not?

Posted
Enjoy whatever you have! Yes, howling wind and a temp up to 6C here! It's a different country down here sometimes.

I remember an ex fiancee who moved to Peterborough from Southampton and that's exactly what she used to say.

Watching GMTV is making me laugh though especially with the reports of airport closures, schools closed. Some even closed the schools before the snow even arrived. The weather might be similiar today to my childhood days but the way we handle it isn't!.

Posted

The grass was getting very long, and now no blades can be seen.

Temperature is a constant -1.2C. This could be significant for our small part of the world. We could be the ones ending up with the heaviest dumping. However I doubt the London media will be bothered, nor will Look East... after all they only reluctantly cover our county, because we aren't in East Anglia.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Slight thaw here in T Wells - temp 0.5°C, dp -0.1°C, with dripping off trees after a quick walk around the Park round the corner, a very fine snow still falling though. Quite hilly where I live, and just saw a car trying to go up snow covered residential street on a steep slope wheels spinning and sliding backwards!

Also lot sof ice underneath the snow as well, can see it where a car had pulled out nearby and can see it all iced up in the wake, snowing right now with large fluffy flakes, pleasent snow at the moment but not to heavy.

Stev, does that suggest that the band has reache dits northern limit or not?

Kold I dont think it will go much farther- anyway look under the trough base at the flow going all the way from Cardiff to Lon....

More to come...

Hey Wintry wales-- I will take those 8 inches plus the one extra your bound to get from the current band & take that as my 9 inch punt....

Good luck mate- hope your Mrs is Ok-

S

Posted

Only a light dusting here on Stafford Park. There was a little more in Dawley when I left for work just before 7am.

The road is completely clear, but then we are only a few metres from the Highways agency gritting depot.