Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Part 7

Posted
Still nothing :unknw:

Very Surprised. Be patient for a bit longer...

I'm pleased I didn't talk McElwee's 5am doom forecast for the East Midlands at face value.

Nudging 2 inches here now. Flakes aren't that big, but its still -1.2C. I'd rather take the slightly smaller flakes and the lower dewpoints and get the settling.

Posted

Snow has really eased off, now that I've got a bit more light can see exactly what it looks like, roads have seen the dusting they had thaw which was to be expected as temps and dew-points started to rise right now as well but that was to be expected, as long a sit doesn't rise too fast I'll be happy!

Front is decaying a little still, though its not a rapid weakening but a very slow decay though still some heavier bursts along that front line of the Occ. front in Essex but i suspect the worst of the precip s gone with it slowly decaying from now on in.

Good to hear by the way mackerel sky!!

Beebs forecasting of 2-10cms widely sounding like a very good call overall, seems like thats clsoe to what most people are getting.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
At the top of the page it says 'my controls'. Click that and then half way down on the left hand side, under personal profile, it gives you the option to 'edit profile information'. You will be able to change your location here

Thanks for the info - will make changes accordingly....

Posted

Very light snow just starting to fall :)

Just remembered didn't WIB say no lying snow south of the peninines :unknw:

Posted
Very light snow just starting to fall :)

Just remembered didn't WIB say no lying snow south of the peninines :unknw:

nothing here yet eye but if your getting it its got to come my way................ lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Very Surprised. Be patient for a bit longer...

I'm pleased I didn't talk McElwee's 5am doom forecast for the East Midlands at face value.

Nudging 2 inches here now. Flakes aren't that big, but its still -1.2C. I'd rather take the slightly smaller flakes and the lower dewpoints and get the settling.

2 inches already!!?? your not gunna like coming to Leicester today if you are mate... not even 1cm here yet, but the snow is getting a bit faster :unknw:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Not much here :unknw:

Looks like we will have to do the school run!

Posted
2 inches already!!?? your not gunna like coming to Leicester today if you are mate... not even 1cm here yet, but the snow is getting a bit faster :unknw:

Things looking a little better here, Excellent midlands today forecast by rob m, snow in a line east and west of birmingham which he said will probably be around till dusk, that would mean 12 hours of snowfall! lets hope so!

Posted

Still chucking it down in my part of Essex, the flakes have got a little smaller though.

I would say were approaching 2 inches if not there already. :unknw:

Regards.

Posted

Snowing nicely now giving a nice first covering :unknw:

Posted

Well the snow is really become lighter right now as it finally starts to pull away to the north, ut what a great scene we have this morning, stunningly white all ove the place, only the roads have no snow on them, everything else is covered by a fairly thick covering, not massivly deep but still plenty enough to make a good snowman!

Still really heavy precip in S.Wales, must be a very large covering over there now if its all still snow, would love to hear from Crimesone or someone else in that sort of region, must be getting quite deep now, the snow.

Other then that the band is evidently starting to weaken, still got a fair amount of mod snow present but even this is starting to now reduce in coverafge as it starts to lose forcing and opushes its little heart out against the cold air

Edited by kold weather

Posted

Just been out to measure - level 10cms - kids (and I include myself ) hyper and breakfasting ready to go out and play Still snowing (moderately).

Jonty

Halton

Bucks

201m asl

Posted

For the south east, Rob McElwee just said that if you're 30 miles inland there shouldn't be much of a thaw all day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Two inches out there now, but easing off.

Temp - -0.1°C

Wind - 08009 Kts

Press - 984 Falling Steadily

Schools are closed so day off with the kids building snowmen - great fun!

Take care out there - enjoy while you can.

Rgds

Andy

Edited by androcles

Posted

Still snowing a bit here. Must have warmed up a bit as the covering on the car bonnet has just slid off and landed on my cat who had just decided to make a run from the door :o

Posted

We got loads here, and ive just been out taking millions of pics. Its indescribably beautiful - the photos dont near do it justice.

temp down to -2C

Posted

Light dusting now. This is perfect snow at the moment because it's the fine powdery snow due to the low temps/dew points currently -1C,DP -3C which means every single flake settles.

Could be an interesting day today because I expect this front to grind to a halt over Lincs so it's a case of snow fading away in my region rather than moving away.

Posted
Just remembered didn't WIB say no lying snow south of the peninines :o

Difficult to resist it Dave n'est ce pas? It all pushed through faster than I expected so fell overnight instead of during today, but that's a little detail!

Enjoy whatever you have! Yes, howling wind and a temp up to 6C here! It's a different country down here sometimes.

Posted

Whilst this snow event looks like being significant in recent years for the home counties in particular, it does just highlight what a media bias we have in this country. If the level of snowfall keeps it up here for several hours, then yes - in the 6-7 years i've lived here it could match or potentially exceed what I've seen before in this neck of the woods. But there has been snowfalls of 4-5 inches here in those 6-7 years which haven't made the media - sometimes not even on Look East, or East Midlands today (although East Midlands today is better). It only warrants attention on Look East if it falls in Cambridge or Norwich.

But I grew up in North Yorkshire. I can recall even surprise falls of 30cm, which sometimes didn't even warrent the attention of the biased Look Norths (Newcastle v Leeds, as we got both... bit like here) let alone the whole breakfast coverage getting taken over, just because it snowed in London.

Thing is, given the fact that its rural round here, everything has settled, if it carries on we could reach that magic 15cm mark. Theres 7cm now, and it started at 5.30am. I am bothered about my wife getting home from nightshift, we knew it was likely, but she was the only senior nurse on, so she can't clear off early. This bothers me.

If we did have decent public transport in this area, that might be an option, but I dare say public transport in the SE grinds to a halt if theres a sharp frost.

We need to learn. This was well predicted, so there shouldn't be any travel chaos. But we'll see what some wet snow in London causes, and the knock on effects for all of us, not least people commuting, but being bored sh*tless for the rest of the day by the typical hype that comes from a centralised media network.

Edited by mackerel sky

Light dusting now. This is perfect snow at the moment because it's the fine powdery snow due to the low temps/dew points currently -1C,DP -3C which means every single flake settles.

Could be an interesting day today because I expect this front to grind to a halt over Lincs so it's a case of snow fading away in my region rather than moving away.

Good luck TEITS- :o

Snowing heavyish here again at 715am..........

7am radar out & the PPN is steaming SE now from the Cardiff region......

Steve

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Snow started to fall about half an hour ago here. Snowing lightly now, everywhere white, about 0.5cm lying.

Temp' is -2.2c with a 17 mph E/SE wind.

T.M