Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Part 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Wonderful scenes here now in south west Leicester :) Just took the dog for a walk and it started off as light-moderate snow and now its full blown heavy stuff and settling everywhere! The roads are treacherous here and when the snow is blowing towards you it feels like a blizzard, its not quite a blizzard though but I would call it heavy snow :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
snowing here aswell, started about 8am and its starting to settle already and getting heavier! YAY!!!! :)

only just started? really and only just started to settle? :):)

Posted

Well the forcefield finally cleared around half an hour ago!! With the radar surrounding us with snow and us not seeing a flake, I think a lot has to do with your location height, as SP said this morning. Anyway, we've a dusting.. probably not even half a centimetre but at least it looks white outside! It's very very fine now but most of that's just being blown around by the wind.

Posted
here in oxford its been snowing since 2/3 oclock or thereabouts (something like that) non-stop. Still coming down fairly densely, and i see a powerful band on the approach. Here is the link to putfile where i have a range of photos which i took earlier this morning:

http://www.putfile.com/wellingtonboot/images/80853

Sorry that some are blurry, but flash ruined the photos because you could only see falling snow, so i didnt use flash for most.

Stunning pics I particularly love the view 2 pic. The orange glow on snowfall really makes the scene look magical.

Posted
For me this is nearly on par with Jan 04 but stil lnot quite as deep though any flare-up in the precip may well tip it over the edge if it settles.

The snow thunder event? Didn't really get that much to be honest from that. About 2cm.

I'd be very surprised if southern areas into London has had deeper snow cover since 1991.

There will be a slight thaw for many areas later this morning. The deeper the snowcover the better as it insults the warmth in the ground and cools the air by directing sunlight back into the atmosphere off the bright surfaces.

The deeper the snowcover and the wider the area it covers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
Well what do you know, light flurries have started here.

According to the breakfast tv weather forecast, they were indicating that we would only get a few scraps during the late afternoon. Radar has the snow precipitation reaching parts of South Manchester now.

Yes here too now, this has taken me by suprise it must have only been 10 mins since I last looked out the window and theres already a covering, I'll stop my moaning, well for now anyway :)

Edited by James M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Almost Blizzard conditions here now!

Posted

Yeah its still snowing Nanu, the thing is I'm not far from the thames and I tend to find this causes temps to be a little higher then further inland. It's still snowing but its certainly not making any difference to the snow-cover in a positive way, though its slowing down the thaw, mind you the grass is still holding onto the snow quite well at the moment.

mackeral sky, looks like you are close to a band of heavier precip and its not really moved much at all so far, i had thatthis morning and thats where i got aobut 6cms of my 8cms from in the space of an hour.

(op, I'm not sure about south of Lonson but I got 10cms from that, I've had 8cms from this so far but you may be right for CS England I suppose.

Certainly one of the best countrywide (sort of countrywide anyway!!!) though in the so called even larger teapot however thats true.)

Edited by kold weather

Posted
What beautiful photos. I'm very jealeous! I moved from Oxford in the summer and in the 4 years I lived there I didn't see snow like that!

Mispy

Snow follows me around. Two years ago i missed three days of school in east sussex, when we had 7 inches(18cms), and that was localised to parts of kent and east sussex only!. My last three ski holidays ive had big falls at the start of, two of which were this winter, which is so miserable snowwise for the alps. And now i come to oxford and we get 6 hours and counting of frontal snowfall, leaving us with ever increasing inches of snow. Theres something about me... :whistling:

Posted

Well if it's gotten this far already James, who's knows, one final push north, and we could be having it all day. Although I do expect it to fizzle out in our parts.

Crap - I'm on a late today, and I have to travel to Salford :whistling:

Posted

its a blizzard!!!!! lol well not quite but heavy and gettting blown about!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Lots of small flakes falling here and winds getting up. From the sounds of it the band of snow is not fizzling yet so i'm in hope for some heavier stuff this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
here in oxford its been snowing since 2/3 oclock or thereabouts (something like that) non-stop. Still coming down fairly densely, and i see a powerful band on the approach. Here is the link to putfile where i have a range of photos which i took earlier this morning:

http://www.putfile.com/wellingtonboot/images/80853

Sorry that some are blurry, but flash ruined the photos because you could only see falling snow, so i didnt use flash for most.

Amazing pics! Thats some serious snow there! I wonder where The Enforcer and Mr Crazy Snowfan are, they will be loving this :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Is there any snow in AGW Devon?????? Heavy snow here...beautiful...certainly not 'marginal'

BFTP

Posted

Well teenage kids are playing in the snow outside, so I don't know whether the school is shut or not. If they are still dicking around after 9am, then i'll know for sure.

Posted
I'd be very surprised if southern areas into London has had deeper snow cover since 1991.

Yep youre right there

Snow follows me around. Two years ago i missed three days of school in east sussex, when we had 7 inches(18cms), and that was localised to parts of kent and east sussex only!. My last three ski holidays ive had big falls at the start of, two of which were this winter, which is so miserable snowwise for the alps. And now i come to oxford and we get 6 hours and counting of frontal snowfall, leaving us with ever increasing inches of snow. Theres something about me... :whistling:

i think you had better lend yourself out for people who aint got the snow today.. a little charge wouldnt go amiss ;)

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Chucking down with snow now in T Wells, could be another few cms accumulating. Going to be an interesting walk into town to work in a while.

Posted

Nice pics Wellington Boot. I'm glad you got one of Mr Snowman. He's the man most parts of the country have been waiting for this winter lol

Posted
Amazing pics! Thats some serious snow there! I wonder where The Enforcer and Mr Crazy Snowfan are, they will be loving this ;)

thanks for all the compliments :whistling: the snow is still coming, hasnt actually stopped at any point for six hours, and by the looks of the nw radar, and particularly the meto radar, weve got a fair bit on route to oxford still.

Nice pics Wellington Boot. I'm glad you got one of Mr Snowman. He's the man most parts of the country have been waiting for this winter lol

haha, and did you nitce how despite a huge snowman being made from the snow directly next to him, there is still a solid layer of snow all around him.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather
OP, I remember GP pointing out the classic weak El nino signal about 3 weeks ago, and it was STUNNINGLY close to what we have right now. For me this is nearly on par with Jan 04 but stil lnot quite as deep though any flare-up in the precip may well tip it over the edge if it settles.

Indeed Darren, a classic...

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn001.html

Heights not as big as could be expected over Greenland but we have the legacy of a solar minima and westerly QBO sustaining some big pools of cold air around - I reckon we could be looking at a repeat in 10-14 days.

7cms so far and still going strong - I think we may end up with 12cms by the end of play.