Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Carinthians Latest Arctic Reports - (Summer 2007)

June 07 saw the largest loss of Artic Ice ever recorded in a single month.

yes, another diaturbing graph.............

current.anom.jpg

notice the little black line at the bottom right for 2007-

S

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted

yes, another diaturbing graph.............

current.anom.jpg

notice the little black line at the bottom right for 2007-

S

Not a very good picture :)

Edited by drgl

Posted
June 07 saw the largest loss of Artic Ice ever recorded in a single month.

Do you have a link to back this up because I mentioned this in another forum and a poster wants to see some evidence, thanks.

Posted

use the graph above

S

Yes the poster in question saw that graph but says that although it shows the lowest ever ice extent it doesn't show whether it had the greatest loss of ice of a single month because it shows the anomaly from the mean, not the amount that melted in june, here is what the poster said:

http://theweatheroutlook.com/twocommunity/...ead.aspx#282497

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
Carinthian you were looking for this.

Yes Kippure,

I love that volcano. Its just magic. I want to be there !

C

Yes the poster in question saw that graph but says that although it shows the lowest ever ice extent it doesn't show whether it had the greatest loss of ice of a single month because it shows the anomaly from the mean, not the amount that melted in june, here is what the poster said:

http://theweatheroutlook.com/twocommunity/...ead.aspx#282497

hI rc 28,

I would tend to go with what Steve is showing on that posted. Is the other guy a certain "Dawlish " ?

Cheers

C

Posted
hI rc 28,

Is the other guy a certain "Dawlish " ?

Cheers

C

Carinthian I rather think you are correct!

regards

ACB

Posted
hI rc 28,

I would tend to go with what Steve is showing on that posted. Is the other guy a certain "Dawlish " ?

Cheers

C

Yes it is, is there something wrong? I know it's a rival site but what difference does it make?

OT but I prefer netweather for it's model output(because there aren't any of those iceagenow idiots and other trolls!) and I prefer TWO for it's photography forum and sometimes it's science and climate forum too.

Posted

No problem at all rc28 talking about other sites :)

I think they were referring to the poster in particular who had a persona on here similar to that which you go on to mention later in your post.

Posted
No problem at all rc28 talking about other sites :)

I think they were referring to the poster in particular who had a persona on here similar to that which you go on to mention later in your post.

I didn't know swz was one of those iceagenow scare mongerers, quite the opposite in fact?? Look at wat he just posted in a thread in response to the people who have destroyed that forum and are the reason why i prefer nw:

"There will be cooler than average months with GWUK. I say that every month. There will even be times when there may be 2, or even more on the trot. . I know you will be shouting "pattern change" in strident tones well before then and I've already seen that trumpeted on other sites and said, implicitly on here. Cooler months are quite quite possible and well within what can be expected. It's fun guys, but it's no more than an unusual small distraction in a long established and continuing warming of the climate. It raelly is not Ice age now and it really isn't going to be. Sorry!oWink"

Anyway, back on topic. It's worrying to see such ice losses i the arctic but how is the antarctic holding up(i know it's their winter so how did the last melt eason go?)?

Posted
Yes it is, is there something wrong? I know it's a rival site but what difference does it make?

OT but I prefer netweather for it's model output(because there aren't any of those iceagenow idiots and other trolls!) and I prefer TWO for it's photography forum and sometimes it's science and climate forum too.

Hello rc28,

That guy caused a lot of upset on this forum. Very clever chap but distruptive. I think Netweather forum TV is way out in front for model output and discussion, you only have to look at the current membership,not only over here but from foreign fields. A great forecast team with the added great experience from senior forecaster John Holmes. But at the end of the day, its your choice. By the way, I would like to be an iceagenow nutter at heart, but I am a realist.

Keep reading and posting.

C

The phrase "GWUK" certainly seems to ring a few bells in terms of the poster.

As for the current Ice situation it is not looking good at all, However it is mainly first year ice that seems to have melted.

At the end of the summer, if we have further melting of multi year ice, then the ongoing cycle, of less multi year ice year on year can only get worse.

Posted
Hello rc28,

That guy caused a lot of upset on this forum. Very clever chap but distruptive. I think Netweather forum TV is way out in front for model output and discussion, you only have to look at the current membership,not only over here but from foreign fields. A great forecast team with the added great experience from senior forecaster John Holmes. But at the end of the day, its your choice. By the way, I would like to be an iceagenow nutter at heart, but I am a realist.

Keep reading and posting.

C

I agree with all of the above. Only one look at both model output discussions on both sites this evening will be enough to tell you which is superior :)

Anyway, this thread is always very interesting to me. I've started saving pics of current ice extents just for comparison for the same time next year.

Is it august or sptember when I should expect to see the lowest ice extent?

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/SNOW/DATA/cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Posted
I agree with all of the above. Only one look at both model output discussions on both sites this evening will be enough to tell you which is superior :)

LOL, I think you'll find all forums have their moments. :)

Posted
Hello rc28,

That guy caused a lot of upset on this forum. Keep reading and posting.

C

Ah yes, I remember 'him' well, certainly a more pleasant forum without.

Yes, but some more than others.

Posted

Nowhere near as much as what's happening to TWO at the moment. It's like there simply is no moderator on the model output forums, anyone could post *anything* no matter how trollish and they wouldn't be chided.

Posted

Anyway, this thread is always very interesting to me. I've started saving pics of current ice extents just for comparison for the same time next year.

Is it august or sptember when I should expect to see the lowest ice extent?

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/SNOW/DATA/cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Morning rc28,

Nice to see you contributing to this topic and that you are very interested and show concern about the current ice loss.

Last Autumn the lowest ice extent occurred later than normal, I think towards the end of September/Early October period. The main cause was the very warm conditions that prevailed in the Euro/Asia Arctic Sector.

C

Posted
Do you have a link to back this up because I mentioned this in another forum and a poster wants to see some evidence, thanks.

I was talking to the guys that put the anom info together. There will be a overview of the summer months come September.

Posted
I was talking to the guys that put the anom info together. There will be a overview of the summer months come September.

Thanks.

The heatwave in north america is reaching as far north as the arctic ocean where 27c was recorded at a station according to this:

http://www.accuweather.com/news-top-headli...&traveler=0

Read down through the article on the above link, it's mentioned near the end.

I wonder what the highest temp ever recorded for a place in such a northern latitude is, anyone know?

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
Morning rc28,

Nice to see you contributing to this topic and that you are very interested and show concern about the current ice loss.

Last Autumn the lowest ice extent occurred later than normal, I think towards the end of September/Early October period. The main cause was the very warm conditions that prevailed in the Euro/Asia Arctic Sector.

C

Last years minimum was the 14th September, due to very warm conditions in the Canadian Arctic, anytime during August is the normal date.

Posted
Last years minimum was the 14th September, due to very warm conditions in the Canadian Arctic, anytime during August is the normal date.

Splitting hairs a bit there SB. The actual minimum occurred in the last week of September. Warm conditions did occur widely in the Arctic Rim but the biggest loss was in the Russian / Siberian Sectors. These being the furthest North usually peak there minimum ice cover as you say towards the end of August, but last year was early October.

C

Posted
Splitting hairs a bit there SB. The actual minimum occurred in the last week of September. Warm conditions did occur widely in the Arctic Rim but the biggest loss was in the Russian / Siberian Sectors. These being the furthest North usually peak there minimum ice cover as you say towards the end of August, but last year was early October.

C

Are you sure you are not confusing last year with 2005??