Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion early to mid June (merged)

Posted

Its very humid here....what a surprise in the Channel there's me listening to Rex The Dog mixes for the last half hour and its all kicking off....I'm out to the seafront guys!!!! seeya later

I can hear rumbles every 10 secs or so and the wind is increasing!!! :)

Posted
The nearest activity is about 10 miles offshore now. Fat drops of rain are starting to fall and the sky to my south and east is full of constant bright lightning and rolls of approaching thunder.

This is fantastic! :)

Tamara

I remember the days of watching the storms approach from the sea he says going green with envy.

ENJOY IT !!!! :)

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
Nick, it should be visible by now I would have thought from Hurst Green/Tunbridge Wells way - some of the flashes are very bright. Certainly seems high based stuff though - will be interesting to see what evolves as it keeps approaching

Still see nothing, but doesn't help when a hill with the buildings of the town centre obscures my view South. Getting my tripod set-up with digi-cam in any case.

This might also be why tamara is reporting very vivid bright lightning, as if i'm correct positivly charge lightning packs a much bigger punch voltage wise than negative bolts!

That's right, +ve strikes are the deadly ones, the ones that do most damage when they hit objects. When we were out in the US in May we had +ve cgs landing close to us when we got under a 'bear's cage' - basically where strong young updrafts cause very unstable conditions and strong lightning strikes as a new cell builds.

Posted

The MCS is currently forecast to develop northwards and affect most of East Anglia and then slowly dissipate into heavy showery rain as it enters coastal Lincolnshire and the immediate East Yorkshire coast before it heads off into the North Sea.

Posted

this reminds me of the medway sausage last september, im right in the path asi was that fateful night, earlier thisthing looked a bit strawberry shaped, and seeing as it is red on meteox radar, i christen this one, the Medway Strawberry!

Joe :)

Posted

Flooding could become an issue over the next couple of hours because there are some very intense downpour echoes on radar and of course the slow moving nature of severe thunderstorms.

Edited by Darkman

Posted
I think I had better shut the conservatory door !! :)

Tamara

Go on - stick a metal rod in the air for the ultimate experience :):)

NB: Not recommended!

I'm on the Isle of Wight.. any chance that I might see some of the storms?? :)

Not sure - loooks primarily Eastern England though you never know ;)

Posted

Last time I personally recall experiencing thundery rain from France hitting my area would be over 10 years ago now. Was pretty impressive, especially with the intensity of the rain and frequent IC and CC's.

Posted
Last time I personally recall experiencing thundery rain from France hitting my area would be over 10 years ago now. Was pretty impressive, especially with the intensity of the rain and frequent IC and CC's.

The whole system is now beginning to look very impressive. Could keep the local fire service busy pumping out flood waters.

Posted

Who thinks that the Met office should change the colour of the downpour( which are shown as white pixels) to a different colour because i find it quite hard to define whats a downpour and whats bit the sea when we got situations like this. Or is it just me?

On a bit more on topic now and its looks really good for the SE and EA so i forbid you good luck. I'm going to bed now because the only thing i will be looking forward two tomorrow is low cloud and of corse see how that low develops.

Posted

Listerning to an Easyjet flight coming over from the continent and on his way to Southampton area says he was at 35000ft and diverting around 'many CB's'.. !

Posted
Not sure - loooks primarily Eastern England though you never know :)

Well I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Hope you lucky devils in the East have a great night!

Keep safe!

:)

Posted
Listerning to an Easyjet flight coming over from the continent and on his way to Southampton area says he was at 35000ft and diverting around 'many CB's'.. !

Can you give the link for that because the one I usually use doesn't have any airports in England listed?:

Live ATC

Thanks

Edited by rc28

Posted
Well I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Hope you lucky devils in the East have a great night!

Keep safe!

I will!! From what?? ;):)

Posted
Oh - ok then :)

It feels like one of those old Hammer horror movies now ! Amazing how dazzling everything looks when lit up!

The earlier heavy drops of rain have stopped - but the light show goes on unabated, and still nearer and nearer. They should charge entry for watching things like this!

Edit: Wow - big flash. huge thunder

Good way to reach 4200 posts!

Tamara

Tamara....please film it! I need my fix, lol.

Posted
Can you give the link for that becasue the one I usually use doesn't have any airports in England listed?:

Live ATC

Thanks

Hi rc,

Sorry mate but its my own radio gear.. :)

Posted

Easyjet eh, I'm flying back from Edinburgh to Luton in the morning with them, hopefully these storms will pass to the east. It chucked it down here for about an hour between 5-6pm, Arthurs Seat gives a good estimation of how low the cloud was at the time. JESUS! AS I WRITE HUGH CLAP OF THUNDER OVERHEAD IN EDINBURGH. Wowzers, that was unexpected, just heard another rumble...???? I got soaking here this evening and didn't bring an unbrella. Big drops falling outside but very little on the recent radar. Normally persistant low cloud in the east, typical for the time of year doesn't lend itself to these conditions, unless imported - which I can understand for the SE quarter??? Am I going mad???

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted
Still dry amongst all this intense electrical activity - but the radar shows a big big wall of rain heading my way

PP - I have no working camera or film ! :)

Tamara

Posted

I have a scary feeling bout all this think there are some big ones on the way. was hoping it would not reach hertfordshire but not so sure now ! what are the ods on these storms getting that far west as initially thought kent essex?

Edited by biddie

Posted
Still dry amongst all this intense electrical activity - but the radar shows a big big wall of rain heading my way

PP - I have no working camera or film ! :)

Tamara

Is it mainly intra-cloud strikes? Or CG?

Oh and yes anyone who has a camera get some shots please!! Some of us are suffering withdrawal sympthoms! :)

Posted

Now why do i get the funny feeling that strikestar image posted is going to have the storms ending up in a landfall base of North of IOW or in that general location and bypass most of NE Kent suddenly?

Posted

BTW whilst the attention seems to be on the SE, there looks to be some storms in Scotland too. Anyone able to let us know? :)

Posted

Wasn't expecting that... 2 cells have just popped u to the north and east of here.. No lightning from them yet on the detector though.