Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion early to mid June (merged)

Posted

I can see the cells over Bournemouth from here in the fading light. The eastern edge of a cell is seen bubbling up to my NW, some distance away. Doesn't look very strong though, and no sferics picked up on the radio.

Posted

Has anyone on NW been under that area of rain?

Have been messaging with Paul and he thinks it's Anaprop (Anomalous Propagation - false rain) as it's largely stayed in the same place and the cloud on satellite is only Altocumulus/Cirrus. It's also dieing as quick as it formed.

Edited by Andy Bown

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Have been messaging with Paul and he thinks it's Anaprop (Anomalous Propagation - false rain) as it's largely stayed in the same place and the cloud on satellite is only Altocumulus/Cirrus. It's also dieing as quick as it formed.

Hi Andy

I have popped outside a couple times and there is no rain here.

Posted

I think last night and today may have been disappointing for some. Certainly was not the '2 or 3 inches' forecast :) Is it just me or are weather forecasts becoming more dumbed down and sensationalist.

Posted
I think last night and today may have been disappointing for some. Certainly was not the '2 or 3 inches' forecast :) Is it just me or are weather forecasts becoming more dumbed down and sensationalist.

Weather forecasts were very good for this area I thought. All forecasts last night stressed they were uncertain on the exact track of the rain for today, but most went for the heaviest stuff nearest the East coast, and generally this is what happened. Also, 3 inches was mentioned as being an isolated possibility, and could well have occured in places if the system had been slightly further west.

Posted

Yup id say it was anaprop too, the core stayed the same shape and in the same location through several frames, however theres another echo going up over S london in the Reigate/Caterham area centred overthe M25 M23 Junction, small at the moment so well have to wait and see if this is real.

Joe :)

Edited by jshaw

Posted
Some places did get around 60mm of rain last night and this morning so that's over 2 inches.

I must have been mistaken. I was watching the radar all last night and did not think that amount of rain fell. Your right. :blush:

Posted

Yeah they just disappeared on the 2330 run, so definately anaprop.

Some cells on radar over the channel south of dorset, but probably anaprop, or mid-level. No sferics.

Posted

Oh well, nothing came of my line of convection yesterday. I sat in the back garden all evening up until about 11.30pm and watched some really quite impressive and promising clouds form, billowing upwards quite beautifully they were, but alas it was not to be. We had a few spits of rain at about 10pm but not even enough to make me move from my chair!

This morning we have milkly clouds everywhere and boy, is it humid and very still. Perhaps my luck shall change later today, I will be watching and hoping.

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

[

attachment=39692:CONVECTI...OR_TODAY.png][a

ttachment=39694:WIND_FOR_TODAY.png]

NIGEL

Posted

hi

bit off topic but it may interest some.

I have placed an article about sea breezes and an example here

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?s...mp;#entry995174

It may interest some of you as it briefly comments that it can sometimes be the trigger for a thunderstorm

John

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Using the lightning detector im looking at, there are/have been some strikes in SW England/Lundy Island and Lightning strikes around the East and South East.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Again using the Lightning detector im viewing a couple of Strikes have made it into Cornwall where i think are some showers. Perhaps something to watch as the sun heats up things.

EDIT: Looking at Meto Radar there are No real Showers there but anyway the sun could make Homegrown showers from about now and later.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Decent CAPE with an area of wind convergence along the M4 then up into Wales could lead to storms later dependant on whether there is a cap in place and what temps we need to reach to break it.

Posted

I must add some clouds are begining to tower here.

Posted

Yes here has a good chance, i know that especially around Monday/Tuesday.