Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion early to mid June (merged)

Posted

we had a huge piece of sheet lightning 10 minutes ago, flashed twice and light up my study, not a massive rumble though

Posted

Must be just on the edge of this, heard some recent thunder must be very lively further around the coast..!

TAF for Southend airport looks good:

2007/06/08 06:15

TAF EGMC 080615Z 080716 33010KT 5000 RA BKN006

TEMPO 0716 2500 +RA +SHRA BKN003 PROB40

TEMPO 0714 1400 TSGR BKN050CB

not sure if its moving this way tho but North instead...? :unknw:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I don't think its coming inland as much as the met office have predicted. I'm hoping for it to start moving more Westwards later.

Posted

The storm system has merely grazed the Colchester area, skimming along the coast, had a few rumbles of thunder since 7am, it seemed about 5 minutes between each.

suffolkboy_ Posted 16 minutes ago

What confuses me is that the rain is nowhere near as heavy as any of the radars are showing!? Only 3mm/hr here where the radar is showing 25mm/hr!? Is this beacause it's high level meaning evaporation before it hits the ground?

Rain is heavy but nothing out of the ordinary here too even though it was showing torrential on the radar for a while so yes, I am pretty sure this is what is happening.

Currently just raining with the very occasional low rumble.

At least the garden is getting a good soaking! :unknw:

Posted
huge flash a minute ago, and the rumble shook the house. I could feel it in my feet

Looking at the radar/track of this, I would have thought the best is yet to come for your area....?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Rain is very heavy now, a few flashes of lightning to my East. Low fast moving clouds from the north.

Looks like the heaviest rain tracking up the east of East Anglia. Ipswich then Great Yarmouth then most of Norfolk in for the worst I suspect.

Mammatus

Edited by Mammatus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Lots of storms being reported around the SE and my hoping is that these will be heading NW in the next few hours. I will be leaving my abode in Derby shortly to attempt to meet them somewhere around the Norfolk/Lincolnshire border.

With all the excitement in the SE i almost missed that there is chances of further storms developing in Southern counties later today - as mentioned on the net weather homepage.

CAPE of around 500J/KG and a LI of -2 will be coupled with some fairly decent temperatures to spark storms off from around mid afternoon.

post-2719-1181290620_thumb.png

In actual fact GFS hold this area in higher likelihood than the SE - but i think that is a bit of an error seeing as there are already storms rumbling around Kent, Essex and Suffolk.

post-2719-1181290625_thumb.png

Edited by Supacell

Posted

If there were any storms round here I slept right through them!

Rain has stopped here but there was quite a mass of very heavy rainfall that moved very close by around 7am though the met-office warnings looks a touch overdone because the system is moving a good deal faster then the UKMO model progged, indeed the GFS has nailed this system since last week.

Also as mentioned there is some instability progged behind this system and already a couple of cells are present lurking behind the main mass of thundery rain and there is plenty of instability for system to develop in a general unstable atmosphere anyway, though the dew-points may not end up quite as high as progged (19C) which may slightly limit cape the atmosphere is very unstable and so shouldn't prove to much of a problem.

This weekend and next week looks like fun and games as well!

Edited by kold weather

Posted
indeed the GFS has nailed this system since last week.

Hi Darren - I was thinking that too! Mightily impressed at the projected position and eventual outcome from GFS.

Posted

Amazing night wasn't it Tamara?...I stayed out from 12.45am to 2.45am on Eastbourne seafront and had to shelter under the pier from the rain....plenty of forked CG lightning to start with as it gradually moved up from the Channel...lots of sheet lightning / CC which lit up the whole sky at times. Once the main rain had stopped about 2ish we had less frequent flashes, but quite big flashes of lightning and decent booms of thunder until 3am at least!

Was a nice surprise considering the 2230 BBC Weather Forecast made no mention of storms for my area...they did forecast that area of thundery rain in Eastern England correctly....I guess my storms broke out ahead of this....

Even stranger is that a girl (coming out from nightclub) saw me watching the storm out to sea and came up to me, she commented on it etc and then mentioned that she is a member of TORRO! Its funny how life surprises you....I've made a new friend - and hope I bump into her again! We chatted about storms and weather for a good couple of hours while all of this was raging on! :unknw:

Edited by MR CB

Posted

Not a lot here really. Went to bed about 2am. Woke up at 6 with the sound of distant thunder. A handful of sheet flashes, one or two rumbles close by but mainly low distant rumbles of thunder every few minutes. Perhaps the low cloud didn't help. Very heavy rain when I woke up. This eased off to steady rain about 7am.

It looks like the system stayed out in the channel and lost most of its electrical form in the early hours. You lucky people on the south coast got quite a show!

Edited by Weatherwatcher

Posted
Not a lot here really. Went to bed about 2am. Woke up at 6 with the sound of distant thunder. A handful of sheet flashes, one or two rumbles close by but mainly low distant rumbles of thunder every few minutes. Perhaps the low cloud didn't help. Very heavy rain when I woke up. This eased off to steady rain about 7am.

It looks like the system stayed out in the channel and lost most of its electrical form in the early hours. You lucky people on the south coast got quite a show!

Well you got more than this area got from the whole of last summer, I would be gratful if i saw what you saw this morning even if it was not as good than on the south coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Nothing very special at all really. A few rumbles of thunder, a few flashes of sheet lightning. Strangely the rain was no way near how heavy it showed up on the radars. Most of the rain around 3mm/hr, got 7mm now. Dissapointing really. No more than a slightly soggy morning, with the odd rumble of thunder.

I doubt anywhere saw the 100mm which the metoffice said was possible. I would guess that the most anybody saw from this was an inch or so.

Edited by suffolkboy_

Posted
Strangely the rain was no way near how heavy it showed up on the radars. Most of the rain around 3mm/hr, got 7mm now. Dissapointing really. No more than a slightly soggy morning, with the odd rumble of thunder.

I doubt anywhere saw the 100mm which the metoffice said was possible. I would guess that the most anybody saw from this was an inch or so.

Here is the 24 hour cumulative rainfall. Looks like most of the heavy stuff only brushed the coastline:

post-2885-1181298055_thumb.png

any comming to the midlands later.....

rain will probably come to the midlands later but the thunder is expected to stay out into the North Sea and weaken as it moves north. Pretty sad really. Best wait till monday! :unknw::)

Posted

Dry as a bone here - the radar shows there has been rain over me for most of the morning, but not a drop has fallen from the sky yet. Strange, as Look East weather this morning was giving a severe weather warning. Is the rain not moving at all inland today?

Posted

We had a surprise downpour at 11:15 p.m last night. About 10 minutes after a live local weather forecast sying it would be a dry night! lol

Posted

Heya Mate! Wonder what our chances are later ... not too high right now I think as the sky is full of cloud here. Although it did start off at 22.2c before 11am that was a good sign ... ! Either way i'm looking forward to my FIRST Thunder of this year! Had nowt since last August.

Posted

There is a small risk of showers in the south this afternoon, but as you say, it's rather cloudy now and the temp is stuck at around 22°C

Posted

Saw loads of lightning when driving home across Eastbourne at 2.15am, bet it was fun walking along the pier from Atlantis for anyone braving out there!! Fell asleep around 3.30am due to sheer tiredness. Must say the lightning and a loud rumble woke me around 5am and that was the last I heard of the storm.

Callie :)

Posted
Saw loads of lightning when driving home across Eastbourne at 2.15am, bet it was fun walking along the pier from Atlantis for anyone braving out there!!

Callie ;)

There where a few clubbers about but not many....could hear some screams everytime a big flash happened :) I stayed under the Pier to avoid getting soaked...

Yeah the lightning was quite frequent and some cloud to cloud flashes sustained for a good few seconds...it started easing off around 3am....I went home and fell asleep then and did't hear anything else. The thunder was strange at first with distant booms every 10 secs - quite extraordinary.

Wish I had taken my mobile for footage - in the rush to get out I forgot!

Shame you guys in Eastern England are gonna miss out :) - its dieing out and moving further east than forecast....

Edited by MR CB