Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms / convective general discussion

Posted

Well fortunately I am having a little break from the rain atm with some slight spitting

The Netweather Radar highlights this nicely, which I think has performed brilliantly today

and has been a very worthwhile tool :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Cheers Guys. Here's the pics. The first two Ive highlighted the funnel cloud I witnessed, not very clear, but was a faint white swirling that moved down half way inbetween cloud base and ground. The rainfall kind of ghosts it, but its just visable with a good eye. post-1600-1181770303_thumb.jpgpost-1600-1181770350_thumb.jpg

Im not sure what cloud this is, but it was again rotating and heading straight for my car :D

post-1600-1181770493_thumb.jpg

The storm was very close now, the rain was getting heavier, but the main feature was the strength of the winds. It was almost blowing a gale! Constant strong wind for about 30 seconds.

post-1600-1181770885_thumb.jpg

Storm cloud just edging over me now - (Little disappointed I didn't catch any lightning, I had enough chances) :whistling:

post-1600-1181771026_thumb.jpg

Deluge arrives - mud, stones and debreit being swept down road - was a little concerned at this point. :rolleyes:

post-1600-1181771158_thumb.jpg

A good 10-15 minutes later - I was sitting in car enjoying all the lightning

post-1600-1181771290_thumb.jpg

Flooding starts-

post-1600-1181771390_thumb.jpgpost-1600-1181771437_thumb.jpg

post-1600-1181771531_thumb.jpgpost-1600-1181771580_thumb.jpg

The photos aren't very good, a little rushed.

Mammatus :D

post-1600-1181771484_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mammatus

Posted

This weather this year is really p**ing me off, on the south coast and i'm sure i not alone like (Kelly IOW) its seems like the MOD have got some cloud seeding going on.

Nevermind mite get something soon hopefully.

Best wishes Paul :whistling:

Posted

yer well done gav, nice one ive saved them all as my wallpapers :whistling:

Posted

Superb photos there. The funnel cloud pictures are clearly visible. :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Hi Brian, thanks mate. Im pleased you can see the funnel cloud in my photo. It was a real buzz this storm! I must calm down! :lol:

Mammatus :lol:

Edited by Mammatus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Some really heavy rain now running up the Welsh border to Liverpool area. Surprised there are no sferics.

18z shows Friday storm risk gets as far north as Derby then returns south again. Strong wind convergence over me too, and it also brings the main event forward to Fri morning.

I've never seen a storm at 6am before. :lol:

Posted
yer well done gav, nice one ive saved them all as my wallpapers :lol:
Superb photos there. The funnel cloud pictures are clearly visible. :lol:

Cheers Guys, it was an enjoyable evening.

Posted
Some really heavy rain now running up the Welsh border to Liverpool area. Surprised there are no sferics.

18z shows Friday storm risk gets as far north as Derby then returns south again. Strong wind convergence over me too, and it also brings the main event forward to Fri morning.

I am sitting here playing poker with curtains open and lights off with the rain bouncing off the windows but still no storm !!!

Posted

:lol: Yes I can understand your excitment, I think I would feel the same way.

Gav, on the picture where the road is flooded how long did it take to become like that?

Posted
I think I shall just sit here and type in a most disinterested fashion

:cray::cray::cray:

( :lol: :lol: :lol: well done Mammatus & thanks for the photos)

:lol:

Pleased you like them Nimbus, Im still buzzing now. I must calm down :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mammatus

Edited by Mammatus

Posted

Really Supacell? Perhaps you're quite young :lol:

In the golden days when you could rely on such things, The large storms moving up from France would usually hit this area (& you're only 30 miles away), shortly after dawn, usually around 5am. I remember many a bleary morning watching a storm rumble away Northwards hanging out of my bedroom window, with that spectacular high level cloud lightning going on. That almost never seems to happen these days, along with many other things of course!

Dave

Posted

Have been on High Alert all evening on "Drizzle Watch", and I am pleased to say the rain never made it past drizzle, so another day in South East Essex without a Storm and the record continues, Looking forward to dodging those showers for the rest of the summer, god I sound like Conor :lol: :lol:

Paul S

Posted
Really Supacell? Perhaps you're quite young :lol:

In the golden days when you could rely on such things, The large storms moving up from France would usually hit this area (& you're only 30 miles away), shortly after dawn, usually around 5am. I remember many a bleary morning watching a storm rumble away Northwards hanging out of my bedroom window, with that spectacular high level cloud lightning going on. That almost never seems to happen these days, along with many other things of course!

Dave

it is wiered i do remember all those night storms during 75 76 summers would last all night and i MEAN all night maybe thats when i first got nervous of them. mum or dad coming in your room and scooping you up cos they can see your scared and putting em in their room- only finding out when you were older its only cos they were scared too !!

I remember clearly the night elvis died in 77 there was a big storm that night cos we were listening to the radio and another one just as massive the next night i was a nervous wreck !

Edited by biddie

Posted
:lol: Yes I can understand your excitment, I think I would feel the same way.

Gav, on the picture where the road is flooded how long did it take to become like that?

About 20 minutes Brian. When the real deluge started and everything went dark and the sky seemed a yellowy orange, colour the ground just couldn't handle the volume of water. After about 5 minutes I did start to panic because I had stones/mud and debriet sweeping under my car, I started thinking about Boscastle. :lol: Mind you, its not funny. But overall quite a vicious storm with lots of lightning (Cloud to ground) flooding, funnel cloud, hail, 30 second gale (all trees bending like they do in an Autumn Gale).

Posted

Mammatus, I saw exactly the same clouds tonight from the garden. I am only a couple of miles from Ridgewell and could clearly see the rain was heavier over that way. Plenty of lightning, the best this year. It will b interesting to see if the river that runs through the village rises due to all that rain up stream. Looks llike plenty more rain to come over the next 36 hrs.

Posted
Have been on High Alert all evening on "Drizzle Watch", and I am pleased to say the rain never made it past drizzle, so another day in South East Essex without a Storm and the record continues, Looking forward to dodging those showers for the rest of the summer, god I sound like Conor :lol: :lol:

Paul S

Join the club mate, down here in surrey used to be a fairly good bet for summer storms, however the last few years have

been very poor, whatever happened?

Posted
About 20 minutes Brian. When the real deluge started and everything went dark and the sky seemed a yellowy orange, colour the ground just couldn't handle the volume of water. After about 5 minutes I did start to panic because I had stones/mud and debriet sweeping under my car, I started thinking about Boscastle. :lol: Mind you, its not funny. But overall quite a vicious storm with lots of lightning (Cloud to ground) flooding, funnel cloud, hail, 30 second gale (all trees bending like they do in an Autumn Gale).

Sounds really spectacular. I'm glad you decided to brave it in the car, to bring us the pictures. :lol:

Posted

So whatever happened to storms for Central Southern England, Hampshire etc...

Are there still chances of imports or what's happened?

Posted

All seems very quiet now. doesn't sem to have been any electrical activity for almost half an hour now looking at the IOW detector.

Dave

Posted
Heavy looking cells Welsh borders/Cheshire way though.

Yes definately, looks like they might need watching.

Seems I have been lucky enough to avoid the most recent heavy precipitation, for now.

Posted
Guys 'n gals, beware of thunderstormitis - caused by seeing the most amazing thunderstorm in your life.

Symptoms - uncontrollable excitement; cold flushes when thinking about the storm, and then.........just like lightning.........flashing all over the place :lol:

Well, sounds better than the panic attack I had during yesterday's storm.

Don't want to experience it again to be honest. Still, it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the storm.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

on the 23.30 meto there seem to be a couple of cells south of Brum which are intensifying a liitle too.

Dave

Posted

I don't believe it!

The second that I say that I have missed the heavy precipitation, then down it comes :lol:

I don't even have to look outside as I can here the water dripping in the pans. :lol: