Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms / convective general discussion

Posted
Well it's probably too far west for me tbh. What are the chances or anything else coming up from france within the next 6 hours?

weather warning out for suffolk

Posted

Well what a tremendous last few hours I have had here

We are in the middle of the process of having the roof tiles replaced.

The builders left at around 4.00pm without covering the roof adequately.

Since then we have had relentless rain and have about ten pans sat under the drips

in the lounge :whistling:

Posted

That cell that is over East Anglia is very strong, when it was developing I went up to Brentwood and saw it to my north, it produced a flash of lightning though i couldn't really make out it structure because it was very messy. I'm guessing that the cell close to the Isle of Wight is about as strong, though radar isn't quite as detailed at the range its at.

Certainly looking interesting right now. The GFS forecasted a strong lobe to develop over the Midlands and N.England but looking at the last couple of hours widespread convection has broken out a good deal further south as well which may mean the atmosphere is a little more unstable then first progged in the south and therefore the atmosphere may be a touch more stable over the regions that the GFS adverts for really hefty convection.

Posted
Biddie are you not getting the rain at the moment? just starting to get steady here and can hear rumbles over Harlow area

Is it still the same or heavier now ?

Posted
Is it still the same or heavier now ?

Nothing now we had a little shower, as i said could hear some distant rumbles, very dark out there now i was walking the dog across the fields at this time last night, no chance tonight it is black out there

Posted
Nothing now we had a little shower, as i said could hear some distant rumbles, very dark out there now i was walking the dog across the fields at this time last night, no chance tonight it is black out there

getting heavier rain here now though

Posted
GMG, thats just about the worst thing that could have happened. Hope you are managing okay, and that you will share one or two vociferous words with those so-called professionals!!

Thanks for that Nimbus20 :rolleyes:

It is the fastest I have seen my daughter move in a while though

when water started dripping on her head :whistling:

What worries me though is that the rain is forecast to be heavier towards dawn

so I could be staying up for a while

Posted
A number of people said they saw a funnel cloud in West Dublin today and sure enough Estofex picked it up.

[

Probably someone from Cork driving thru

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
GMG, I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I would take a look at the MetO rainfall radar if I was you. There seems to be a very heavy burst or two heading your way :whistling:

I hope it works out better than its looking at the moment.

Now you're being cruel.

Posted

That rain out to the SW does anyone think it mite do anything, maybe spark storms over nothern france as the cold front moves through and run into the plume.

Just an idea... :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Guys, Ive just witnessed a great storm around Haverhill, ridgewell (North Essex border). One of the best in years! Cloud to ground lightning every 10 seconds for 45 minutes, some of the heaviest rainfall Ive witnessed, and I think I witnessed a funnel cloud, I just hope the photo is clear enough, the rain was torrential! Was out in my car, parked up then the heavens just opened and continued for 30 minutes, widspread flooding, incredible. Within 10 minutes roads were cut off, had to travel 4 miles to get home (normal 1/2 mile) because three routes id normally go were deep under water. Eventually the water subsided. Wonderful storm!! :whistling:

That will do me for a long while, that was a big fix :rolleyes:

Pictures to follow

Mammatus

Posted

Constant torrential rain for the past hour

Posted
GMG, I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I would take a look at the MetO rainfall radar if I was you. There seems to be a very heavy burst or two heading your way :whistling:

I hope it works out better than its looking at the moment.

Sorry about that I was on the model thread.

Thanks for the warning I shall have a peep at the radar if I dare

Posted
Guys, Ive just witnessed a great storm around Haverhill, ridgewell (North Essex border). One of the best in years! Cloud to ground lightning every 10 seconds for 45 minutes, some of the heaviest rainfall Ive witnessed, and I think I witnessed a funnel cloud, I just hope the photo is clear enough, the rain was torrential! Was out in my car, parked up then the heavens just opened and continued for 30 minutes, widspread flooding, incredible. Within 10 minutes roads were cut off, had to travel 4 miles to get home (normal 1/2 mile) because three routes id normally go were deep under water. Eventually the water subsided. Wonderful storm!! :rolleyes:

That will do me for a long while, that was a big fix :D

Pictures to follow

Mammatus

Just leave the forum and don't come back :D Trying to make me jealous like that. Just a few miles further east and that baby would've been mine :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
Just leave the forum and don't come back :D Trying to make me jealous like that. Just a few miles further east and that baby would've been mine :whistling:

:rolleyes:

Posted
Guys, Ive just witnessed a great storm around Haverhill, ridgewell (North Essex border). One of the best in years! Cloud to ground lightning every 10 seconds for 45 minutes, some of the heaviest rainfall Ive witnessed, and I think I witnessed a funnel cloud, I just hope the photo is clear enough, the rain was torrential! Was out in my car, parked up then the heavens just opened and continued for 30 minutes, widspread flooding, incredible. Within 10 minutes roads were cut off, had to travel 4 miles to get home (normal 1/2 mile) because three routes id normally go were deep under water. Eventually the water subsided. Wonderful storm!! :whistling:

That will do me for a long while, that was a big fix :rolleyes:

Pictures to follow

Mammatus

Thats good mate, been nothing here in Ipswich grrrrrrrr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
No, The PIT, I am not being cruel. Just trying to give GMG advance warning.

Twas a Joke you know. You could nip over with some very large brollies. :whistling:

Posted
Guys, Ive just witnessed a great storm around Haverhill, ridgewell (North Essex border). One of the best in years! Cloud to ground lightning every 10 seconds for 45 minutes, some of the heaviest rainfall Ive witnessed, and I think I witnessed a funnel cloud, I just hope the photo is clear enough, the rain was torrential! Was out in my car, parked up then the heavens just opened and continued for 30 minutes, widspread flooding, incredible. Within 10 minutes roads were cut off, had to travel 4 miles to get home (normal 1/2 mile) because three routes id normally go were deep under water. Eventually the water subsided. Wonderful storm!! :rolleyes:

That will do me for a long while, that was a big fix :D

Pictures to follow

Mammatus

Great news Gav :whistling: I'm really pleased you are getting a taste of the action.

Sounds really spectacular. I hope the photos come out too, and will look forward to seeing them.

Things like you describe make all the weather watching worthwhile IMO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Well we had one rumble of thunder at about 4pm. Must admit i am a little disappointed.

Maybe Friday will offer something.

Posted
Can't take any of my brollies - you forgot to return them after you borrowed them :rolleyes:

Hi Nimbus20

After looking at the radar hopefully I might be just far enough North to miss the worst.

Or is that wishful thinking? :whistling:

Posted

Met-office radar showing a rain pushing in from the continent. Channel -> South Kent coastline. Expect it will die out as it moves over land, But Anyone in that area seeing whats happening?

Light rain just passed through here, nothing else to report of

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Cell over East Anglia appears to be losing strength.

Another cell around Cheshire/Wales border and some coming into S Coast - although none of these are thundery.

Posted
Cell over East Anglia appears to be losing strength.

Another cell around Cheshire/Wales border and some coming into S Coast - although none of these are thundery.

Been belting down but no storm. More to come as well.

Posted
GMG - I sincerely hope its a drier night than radar is suggesting. Trouble is the situation is so much in "flux" that it changes just about every half hour!! :whistling:

Good luck up there in North Yorks :rolleyes:

Thanks Nimbus :D

Yes I will certainly be keeping a watchful eye on the radar tonight.

it's quite ironic really, that I have been wishing for storms all day and they have

all avoided me. As it has turned out it is a good job they did or things could be even worse