Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms / convective general discussion

Posted

Just had a shower here for about 10 minutes, first rain for a couple of weeks or so. Lovely smell :wallbash:

No thunder yet though but looking black with some TCu to the SW.

Edited by simon1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!
Yep...and then you will be able to prove that you only really got 1 storm over your area, not 2.

:wallbash:

:shok:

I saw a flash of lightning and heard rumbles of thunder, I call that a storm :rofl:

When do the Meto get the radar up and running?.. Have they even erected it yet? I used to work on mast and towers often did work for the broadcasting companies but never erected a radar.

Sometime 2007, thats all I know.

Paul posted a link a while ago with details of all UK radars and it was mentioned on there.

Posted

Nimbus,

Yes you would be right about topography, Lincs sits in an ideal place within the Uk, with a mountanous area to your west and sea breezes to your east, when the conditions are favourable with surface winds and adequate moisture then there is no better place to be in the Uk for Storms, it almost reminds me of certain parts of the Midwest and that goes for the road network as well!!

Paul S

Posted

With prevailing winds tending to be from the south west during spring, well all except this one then lincolnshire tends to be at the end of a long stretch of air passing over land. Temperatures therefore tend to be slightly higher during spring and summer here. You also have the benefit of sea breezes giving a focus for storm development on days when winds are light.

Posted
And with style it has gone.. Pea hail, very heavy rain but no wind.. Just taken a few piccies.. Will put them up in a few mins..

Sounds like you were under the Updraught of a developing Storm Potty, would expect it to go on to please some residents of Lincs :wallbash:

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well the Sheffield shield has wobbled and allowed one flash of lightning through. It should now swing into action and squash this miserable attempt at a Thundery Shower into submission. Looking to the West it's already doing this.

Posted
Very Dark In Birmingham... Feels well Muggy... not nice!!!

Theres a lot of storms in that area, looks like one will hit you from the SW soon.

Enjoy :)

Posted
Cheers for that Paul. However (says he taking deep breath), that "ideal" isn't very reliable, at least here. Being at the mouth of the Humber just adds yet another complication into the cauldron of this areas climate and weather. Today is yet another example - much promise and then almost nothing. Fun in a strange way though :)

Hey N, I had a storm at 2pm about 10 miles west of lincoln. I think it was following the Trent! Was quite impressive. Apparently they also had storms at home which is 5 miles east of lincoln.

Posted

You wouldnt happen to be on the North side of the Humber Estuary would you?? My house sits on the Northern Bank of the Thames Estuary and get Jack all weather all year round!! Anyhow back to the next few hours, an interesting line of storms is Moving North-Eastwards towards Oxon and should go onto North Bucks, Leics, Derbys in the next 2-3 hours, i'd expect some VERY Lively storms from this area of activity.

Paul S

Posted

Hey!! Thats KellyF's picture on there! 3rd from the left at the top. Sweet!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Nothing much here atm, just one distant rumble of thunder about 30 mins ago.

Posted

Thundertsorm Just to the east of Rotherham ( S.Yorks ) 10 strikes and quite a bit of thunder heard too , moderate /heavy rain .

Posted

Small storm on its way past Chesterfield now. 2 cracks of thunder so far

Posted

looking very ominous in the centre of Derby just been out and its very dark, it was spitting with rain also

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Had a few sharp showers here, but nothing else, and to be honest I don't think our end will get anything either.

If we do, I will buy a hat and eat it, and post the vid on youtube LOL

Kain

Posted

Even if you only get very heavy rain, for me personally that can actully be quite exciting. Its better than looking at just cloudy skies with light or no precipitation falling.

Posted
Had a few sharp showers here, but nothing else, and to be honest I don't think our end will get anything either.

Kain

Yes same here.

Really frustrating this.

Yesterday all the activity was just north of me, and today it is just to the South of me :)

Posted

Another shower here now but much heavier. If the last one we had is anything to go by, this will intensify as it moves NE.

Posted
Its better than looking at just cloudy skies with light or no precipitation falling.

Which is exactly what I have got. Grrrrrrr :)

Posted
Even if you only get very heavy rain, for me personally that can actully be quite exciting. Its better than looking at just cloudy skies with light or no precipitation falling.

I agree, I enjoyed driving to work in the heavy rain this morning.

It's horrible now though just drizzle. Some more heavy rain would be nicer.