Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms/Convective General Discussion ...

Posted
wish I had a bluetooth card on my computer.....Getting some nice cloud formation pics on my mobile.....very disturbed looking sky, there's lots of outflow and it looks like someone took a giant spoon & stirred up the sky!.....havent got a cat, but the seagulls (bloomin' pests!) have stopped making their usual evening racket!

I hope for some skys like that when I come home in six weeks.nNothing better than watching a storm roll in off Lyme bay :lol: :lol:

Posted

Convection picking up here. I can actually witness it as it is happening! Looks like the cloud tops are unravelling before my eyes!

Got some okayish pics. They're not great, but considering only an hour ago there was really no convection in sight, I think it must be a definite sign that conditions are shifting here. They also remind me a little of the beginning of The Neverending Story (ahem...or not, as the case may be):

convection3.jpg

convection1.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

In response to earlier posts, this is why I love Britain's volatile & very unpredictable weather...In just the space of 3 or 4 hours the tough and associated rain/storms approaching the devon coast has grown rapidly from nothing! I would hazard a guess that anywhere from plymouth through to Sussex could feel the effects before dawn... :lol:

Posted

As I feared too far north for anything exciting here now as winds are to stay at east/NE-ly then north as it`s much cooler the further north you go then showers lose the intensity,and all we`ve got here is low cloud/fog with outbreaks of moderate rain.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk

Hopeing the low cloud clears tomorrow but I have my doubts. :lol:

The low is just tracking a little further south than shown yesterday just too far. :lol: if it was winter great.

http://85.214.49.20/pics/brack0.gif

http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/Rmgfs274.gif

Cooler than today even.

South Wales looks good though for thundery showers.

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
It is pouring down here and i mean POURING, yet the radar is clear???

Same here in Milton Keynes, absolutely tipping it down, but met radar shows no or only marginal precipitation. Interestingly too there seems to be more showers developing behind the original heavy band that brought the storms further north in the day. :lol:

Posted
It is pouring down here and i mean POURING, yet the radar is clear???

Are you viewing the Met Office radar which has 21.00 as the latest slide?

NW Extra 5 minute radar shows a few small heavy cells around the London area at 21.20, they have developed quickly and you should see them on the 21.30 Met update.

Edited by Andy Bown

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Still some interesting radar echoes pouring out of Normandy over the Channel, reports of thunder over the Channel Islands earlier, trouble is the storms are usually spent before they make landfall over SE corner, will they maintain this time?

post-1052-1181853139_thumb.png

18z FAX pics up the upper trough behind the sfc cold front over NW France causing the storms:

post-1052-1181853223_thumb.png

Posted
As I feared too far north for anything exciting here now as winds are to stay at east/NE-ly then north as it`s much cooler the further north you go then showers lose the intensity,and all we`ve got here is low cloud/fog with outbreaks of moderate rain.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk

Hopeing the low cloud clears tomorrow but I have my doubts. :lol:

The low is just tracking a little further south than shown yesterday just too far. :lol: if it was winter great.

http://85.214.49.20/pics/brack0.gif

http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/Rmgfs274.gif

Cooler than today even.

South Wales looks good though for thundery showers.

I wouldn't worry too much as Powys is in that strong convergence zone from now until around 0900 tomorrow morning,

acctording to the GFS Chart Viewer Wind speed/Direction charts.

Edited by Thundersquall

Posted

Yes, that wind convergence line is still there running NW of the London area, and is building some discrete cells upward along the line:

post-1052-1181853812_thumb.pngpost-1052-1181853794_thumb.png

... the storms that formed earlier this evening along the convergence line in pretty much the same area have moved North with the upper Southerly steering winds, these will probably do likewise.

Interesting line of convection along a short-wave trough just arriving off the S Devon coast now.

Posted
Are you viewing the Met Office radar which has 21.00 as the latest slide?

NW Extra 5 minute radar shows a few small heavy cells around the London area at 21.20, they have developed quickly and you should see them on the 21.30 Met update.

I need to buy this radar dont I :lol:

I will next payday!!!

Posted

Very heavy rain just about to make landfall over the South Hams district in Devon.

ajpoolshark - that torrential rain should be with you within the hour I reckon (latest 10:30pm).

It looks like it's developed a little between 21:00 and 21:30.

I think I can just about make out some white echoes mixed in with this rain.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Edited by Thundersquall

Posted
... the storms that formed earlier this evening along the convergence line in pretty much the same area have moved North with the upper Southerly steering winds, these will probably do likewise.

Interesting line of convection along a short-wave trough just arriving off the S Devon coast now.

So there is a possibility of another storm for North Kent then?

Noticing the met-o radar (and paul will remind me about nw radar again im sure hehe) had a new cell begining to move into the Channel in roughly the same area as before made me check here wondering if that was another likelyhood to repeat earlier this evenings brief sharp storm.

Even 2 neighbour's had to call the fire service to pump water out of their house. Oh to have a camara! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
Very heavy rain just about to make landfall over the South Hams district in Devon.

ajpoolshark - that torrential rain should be with you within the hour I reckon (latest 10:30pm).

It looks like it's developed a little between 21:00 and 21:30.

I think I can just about make out some white echoes mixed in with this rain.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Not raining here yet but Wow!......i know its getting dark, but I havent seen a sky so angry looking in a long time.....I surprised not to have seen any lightning yet, but i can make out what looks to be something akin to a gust/squall line moving in from the SW.....I'm not too clued up on the technical side of storms but the breeze has suddenly picked up from the SE, is this storm outflow winds??

Posted
So there is a possibility of another storm for North Kent then?

Noticing the met-o radar (and paul will remind me about nw radar again im sure hehe) had a new cell begining to move into the Channel in roughly the same area as before made me check here wondering if that was another likelyhood to repeat earlier this evenings brief sharp storm.

Even 2 neighbour's had to call the fire service to pump water out of their house. Oh to have a camara! :lol:

I think those potent cells which formed over the Medway towns earlier this evening were part of the wind convergence zone stretching NW into the Midlands.

Some heavy showers with the odd rumble of thunder moving NE across Kent from the channel are possible later IMO.

Posted
Great to read all the posts about today's storms.

Eyes to the S/SW for myself as it looks promising, am considering sleeping with the blind open to allow me the best chance to be woken up should a storm occur (it's worked before, lol).

Tomorrow ; are we expecting rapid shower/storm development from mid morning onwards? Or will it be a case of waiting for maximum daytime heating to coincide with the convergence zone(s)?

My understanding is that the atmosphere is very unstable according to the predicted ascents and so will require very little forcing to initiate convection, so mid morning plus a little sea breeze activity should be enough. However there are very slack air movements so it is likely to be pulse type short lived cells rather than anything else (the sort that spring up and then collapse on themselves). The trough in the south west does seem to mildly electrified for to night so maybe a few rumbles later.

Posted
I've got a bloomin exam at 9 a.m! Radio cracking loudly once a minute now! :lol:

Not gonna happen! I'll go switch my SA just incase though

Posted

Some very heavy rain indeed just about to hammer Torbay as I type according to the radar:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/sw/...test_radar.html

White echoes are torrential rain so ajpoolshark

get ready for some dramatic weather.

I reckon it literally should be with you any moment now?

Edited by Thundersquall

Posted
Oh, dear - not much sleep for me tonight then! :lol: :lol:

I like to stay up to watch the storms come in.

The area approaching Devon seems to be steering more NNW now which will take it over West Somerset rather than towards Wiltshire/Bristol - I'll happily be proven wrong.

The other area further East in the channel is heading at present NNE, I wonder if it'll begin to steer too?

My latest prediction is for the first area mentioned to do as I said and the 2nd area will stay East of Salisbury Plain. Still going to sleep with the blind open as anything could pop up once the trough moves through.

(edited for typo)

Edited by Andy Bown