Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms/Convective General Discussion ...

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Interesting differances between the Net Weather Radar and the Met O. I know which one I trust and it's Net weather Extra.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
Funny you say that! I'm trying to get my man to hoover now!!!

Not sure I hold out much for that stuff in France ... Or my man using the hoover! LOLOL

You gotta be more firm LOL. My wife threatened to turn the internet off if I didn't help hoover! :) I couldn't imagine being without NW for more than 5 minutes :lol: :lol: :)

Mammatus

Still raining moderately here, no thunder for a while now, although a new cell just popped up NE London.

Edited by Mammatus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
Nice big mass of rain moving N/NNE towards Plymouth and South Hams districts, Devon.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

No lightning showing up on the site detectors, but I've just popped outside for a look, and there is a big anvil stretching right the across the sky to my south..It must be big as its its only just over the horizon!.....On a side note, down 'ere in Devon we normally get night time storms, my question being, how to they keep their intensity when there is no heating from the sun...? (apologies in advance if that is a dumb question!)

Posted

does anyone know why the wetterzentral lightning map does not show any sferics over the uk through to the latest at 18:00, despite the fact there has been

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Maybe worth keeping an eye on the stoms over NW France currently, upper long-wave trough to the SW and dry air intrusion spreading aloft with it is helping storms develop and drift NE towards the Channel, may clip SE later on:

Upper long-wave trough to SW seen on 300hPa relative vorticity charts advancing NE around low pressure system - creating forced ascent of wam moist air over NW France to form lines of storms:

post-1052-1181848103_thumb.png

WV and airmass imagery suggest dry air intrusion spreading aloft of these storms helping their development:

post-1052-1181848313_thumb.jpg post-1052-1181848330_thumb.jpg

Posted
No lightning showing up on the site detectors, but I've just popped outside for a look, and there is a big anvil stretching right the across the sky to my south..It must be big as its its only just over the horizon!.....On a side note, down 'ere in Devon we normally get night time storms, my question being, how to they keep their intensity when there is no heating from the sun...? (apologies in advance if that is a dumb question!)

I think it's because there's a greater temperature difference between the base and tops of Cumulo-Nimbus

clouds at night-time (and more especially just after sunset) than during the afternoon.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I think the top of the troposphere cools down much more quickly than near the surface

after dusk has fallen.

post-1052-1181848330_thumb.jpg

Wow, look at that monster over southern France! Oh, it didn't work but never mind.

It seems the upper trough coincides quite nicely with that

heavy rain area that's approaching Devon.

Edited by Thundersquall

Posted

The radio has gone very quiet now, all activity diminished in the last 30 mins or so. Oh well, maybe some more drizzle to look forward to tonight. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
I think it's because there's a greater temperature difference between the base and tops of Cumulo-Nimbus

clouds at night-time (and more especially just after sunset) than during the afternoon.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I think the top of the troposphere cools down much more quickly than near the surface

after dusk has fallen.

Wow, look at that monster over southern France! Oh, it didn't work but never mind.

It seems the upper trough coincides quite nicely with that

heavy rain area that's approaching Devon.

Thanks for that, you learn something new every day! :lol:

Posted

Forget all your high tech radar images etc ....... I am presently looking at the sky here in Devon (we used to predict weather in this way!) and it clearly tells me that some interesting weather is on the way for some folk in these parts.

dl

Posted
Forget all your high tech radar images etc ....... I am presently looking at the sky here in Devon (we used to predict weather in this way!) and it clearly tells me that some interesting weather is on the way for some folk in these parts.

dl

I agree, I'm right here on the S Devon coast and its now clouded over to the south (large cirrus veil/anvil), the breeze has dropped off and it has that 'thundery' feel about it...The veil is slow moving so it'll be a while before anything happens, Just hope it cranks up a bit in the lightning dept :lol:

Posted

dl

I think you're right.

But on the subject of the radar, there is a trough forming in the western English Channel.

The very edge of the rain has just scraped the south coast of Cornwall, as it moves northwards

ever closer to South Hams district.

Tomorrow will be very interesting indeed, particularly if these all pan out:

post-3528-1181850494_thumb.png post-3528-1181850498_thumb.png

post-3528-1181850620_thumb.png post-3528-1181850627_thumb.png

post-3528-1181850568_thumb.png post-3528-1181850638_thumb.png

Edited by Thundersquall

Posted

dl

Well according to the MetO radar we're having a downpour at the moment.

Infact it's falling at an uninmpressive at 1.2mm an hour now up to 3.4mm.

Posted

Great to read all the posts about today's storms.

Eyes to the S/SW for myself as it looks promising, am considering sleeping with the blind open to allow me the best chance to be woken up should a storm occur (it's worked before, lol).

Tomorrow ; are we expecting rapid shower/storm development from mid morning onwards? Or will it be a case of waiting for maximum daytime heating to coincide with the convergence zone(s)?

Posted

Rushden has had an impressive storm forcefield this afternoon, to rival PPs in Durham (yes I know it got breached the other day). The radar was remarkable - storms both 5 miles to the east and west. I drove home from Leicester earlier about 4.30pm and hit torrential rain between Market Harborough and Kettering, droplets the size of fists with at least 5 strikes. Soon as I was off the A14 back on the A6, about 2 mile south of Kettering (and I live about 8 miles from Kettering) dry as a bone. Had a few heavyish bursts of rain here since 6pm, but just manky outside now. Rather misty. The rainfall radar from about 4pm would upset the hardest of storm lovers. Just type in NN10 into the postcode zoom and see how impressive the forcefield was.

Posted
The EUCLID charts confirm storm activity over the Brest Peninsula.

Wetterzentrale chart is clearly on the blink, as no storms are shown over UK.

The I.O.W detector is picking up lightning in the western english channel

http://www.isleofwightweather.co.uk/live_storm_data.htm

Posted

Not only the look of the sky now but my cat has gone crazy .......... something definatelly brewing.

dl

PS: will check the seaweed in a minute!

Posted

LOL MS a force field to rivel Sheffields. Can it split huge storms right down the middle like Sheffields???

Posted
Not only the look of the sky now but my cat has gone crazy .......... something definatelly brewing.

dl

We all know that cats are to storm forecasting what grebes are to snow forecasting :lol:

Posted

Evening all!

Another day and some more storm development... not for here again but never mind there might be the odd surprise in store overnight..

Been trawling through the posts and some radar images and found this one that is quite indicative of how things developed:

viewimage.pl.png

This is the 4 hour accumulation from the Euro radar on NetWeather Xtra. Interesting how there are some gaps where the storms missed, but they are few and far between and you would have been unlucky to miss out... even Southend looks like it has received a drenching LOL :lol:

Posted
We all know that cats are to storm forecasting what grebes are to snow forecasting :lol:

My Nanna's dog barked and whined as if it was in terrible pain for at least an hour-and-a-half

before a thunderstorm passed over Clacton-on-Sea many years ago so yes,

animals can detect storms approaching many miles away.

My Nan's dog must have first heard it at least 15 miles away, and that's with all windows closed!

Posted

dl

wish I had a bluetooth card on my computer.....Getting some nice cloud formation pics on my mobile.....very disturbed looking sky, there's lots of outflow and it looks like someone took a giant spoon & stirred up the sky!.....havent got a cat, but the seagulls (bloomin' pests!) have stopped making their usual evening racket!

Posted
wish I had a bluetooth card on my computer.....Getting some nice cloud formation pics on my mobile.....very disturbed looking sky, there's lots of outflow and it looks like someone took a giant spoon & stirred up the sky!.....havent got a cat, but the seagulls (bloomin' pests!) have stopped making their usual evening racket!

So even if you don't get thunder and lightning at least from the sound of things

in consolation you have been treated to a nice cloud show instead.

Edited by Thundersquall