Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms/Convective General Discussion ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Radio Derby just said thunderstorms this evening then more storms moving up from France overnight. Add to this i am storm chasing tomorrow - i should see something!!!

Posted

Right im going to clutch at my one straw here! That little cell to the right of the channel Islands. Does that have my name on it??

Posted

OK, any knowledgeable experts on here know if the setup is right to give showers for us southern coastal areas tonight? GFS has a few in the channel around midnight, but I don't know if anything lightnin-wise is likely? Most probably not as usual.

Posted
Tell you what guys, I am thinking about Chasing tomorrow, have been looking at the Models and another day of Convergence type storms is possible but a little bit further North this time, could be some great chase country over the East Mids/East Anglia and Lincs tomorrow.

Paul S

Been thinking about this for the past hour or so ...

My "problems" are thus:

* Money - but sod it thats what a credit card is for!

* Having to use prublic transport to get to where ever

* And as it will no doubt be later - accomodation (And that I couldn't book unless I knew where! LOL)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
Wow that sounds absolutely fantastic Gav, I wish I was there mate. Just horrid drizzle here

Been very lucky the last two days Brian. :unknw: Just been out in the car and there's loads of flooding again, lots of roads under water completely, although only a few inches deep.

Anglia news just showed some of the flooding across Essex. Some roads closed. We've had enough rain to last all summer I suspect.

No lightning for the last 15 minutes.

Mammatus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Latest Forecast by Paul Damari-BBC Hereford and Worcester: Storms Intensefing as they Reach Northern part of Our Region and Very Slow Moving. Some Storms are Just on their Way to Kidderminster and another Batch is Starting Near Worcester. Storms Continuing this Evening and Overnight and Continuing Tomorrow.

Extremely Promising for Here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

INCREDIBLE Guys! Lightning out of knowhere massive ball lightning has just hit somewhere close! Huge boom of thunder that lasted a few seconds. My wife just shouted up and said she was scared! Quite scary, that came out of knowhere.

Would have liked to have caught that on camara! :unknw:

mammatus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
Blizzards.. Do you think I'll get any thunderstorms?

post-1669-1181842481_thumb.png

Im Not Sure if The Storms will get up to your area. Nothing has really been up there today. Id say not Today but id say you have a Chance tomorrow.

Posted
Tell you what guys, I am thinking about Chasing tomorrow, have been looking at the Models and another day of Convergence type storms is possible but a little bit further North this time, could be some great chase country over the East Mids/East Anglia and Lincs tomorrow.

Paul S

I will be chasing tomorrow but can't get away until about 11am. I'm concerned over the area you are predicting though. GFS suggests convergence further S than today and with most of the CAPE over Southern counties - i.e. Avon through Wiltshire across to Berkshire to London. I was planning to head that direction but you are more experienced than me so will i be heading in the wrong direction if i headed SW?

Posted
INCREDIBLE Guys! Lightning out of knowhere massive ball lightning has just hit somewhere close! Huge boom of thunder that lasted a few seconds. My wife just shouted up and said she was scared! Quite scary, that came out of knowhere.

Would have liked to have caught that on camara! :unknw:

mammatus

You sure about ball lightning?? That's a very rare phenomenon you know?

Posted

Proper nasty storm developing to my west, south west. Feel for those people under that one! Thunder and lightning started crashing away out in that direction - towards Great Yeldom way.

Mammatus

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
Blizzards.. Do you think I'll get any thunderstorms?

post-1669-1181842481_thumb.png

I think we'll just get the heavy rain. According to the Beeb tomorrow will just miss out as well. Ah well never mind.

Posted

Has all the lightning in Midlands cell died. Just that Lightning detectors aren't showing anything and i was thinking of dropping down to Birmingham (only half hour from here).

Posted
OK, any knowledgeable experts on here know if the setup is right to give showers for us southern coastal areas tonight? GFS has a few in the channel around midnight, but I don't know if anything lightnin-wise is likely? Most probably not as usual.

Great minds think alike!! Or so they say! Do you have msn messenger so we can converse? If so add the email thats in my profile :unknw:

Posted

Certainly a giood idea to report it to TORRO Mammatus if it was ball lightning. I was lucky enough to have seen one myself about a year ago and they are rather rare, in my case I believe it was probably attracted to the rail tracks that are about 300M to my west and boy it moved fast riin a fast horizontal line about 200M above roughly where the track lines are.

Edited by kold weather

Posted

The chance of storms reaches its peak at midday tomorrow. The afternoon prospects are still good,

although the storm risk is eroded away from the north.

post-3528-1181843003_thumb.pngpost-3528-1181843009_thumb.png

The West Country and indeed possibly Bristol is at the epicentre.

CAPE of 800-900 and LI just below -3 and storm risk around 50-55%.

Edited by Thundersquall

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous
Has all the lightning in Midlands cell died. Just that Lightning detectors aren't showing anything and i was thinking of dropping down to Birmingham (only half hour from here).

Just moderate rain here. Similar situation to yesterday. Promising early afternoon development doesn't quite have the fuel to sustain thunderstorms or, even, electrify them.

Posted
Certainly a giood idea to report it to TORRO Mammatus if it was ball lightning. I was lucky enough to have seen one myself about a year ago and they are rather rare, in my case I believe it was probably attracted to the rail tracks that are about 100M to my south and boy it moved fast riin a fast horizontal line about 30M above roughly where the track lines are.

I saw ball lightning as a kid only now do I know what it was!! I was looking over the front gate and saw a huge ball of white light that tore through the sky so fast had to turn my head quickly to see it. It just disappeared as quick as it appeared! Certainly scared me as a kid!

Posted

I have now further investigated tomorrow's thunder prospects and found this corker for 2100 tomorrow evening.

post-3528-1181843435_thumb.png

Wow, if the wind convergence is as strong as this suggests, then some expect evening fireworks over

parts of Southern England and SE Wales, from The Wash to the Bristol Channel.

Edited by Thundersquall

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Just looked at eh 1830 met-office radar...wow!...Thats an impressive arc of storms over the midlands & S/E......There are more individual cells firing up over the channel Islands & Normandy...I'll be very interested if these cells hold together whilst crossing the channel...There might be hope for the west country yet!

Posted

turned incredibly dark to my south south west now and it hasn't stopped raining here for the last hour. going by the radar heavy rain should come along shortly but anyone know if these are still active? (i'm not far west of the wash)