Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Perseids 2007

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

ive been in flamborough this weekend and ive seen some great meteors. ive never seen the sky so clear. Hope for more tonight.

Posted

I'm looking forward to tonight. This is the first time it really does seem like all the right things are in place for a great show (except the fact I'm in Manchester's suburbs) but I'm heading to a golf course round the corner, which will provide some darkness :pardon: Oh and an east facing hill :hi:

Daz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Think i'm going to head up to some wind turbines on a hill close by. Its really dark up there, and spooky with the sound of the turbines.

I'm going to try to take some pics too.

Quite looking forward to it :pardon:

Posted

Sounds like a good plan MCT :pardon: I really can't wait, just hope it's not all a big let down what with weather/light.

Daz

Posted

Biiig shower just about to hit me, hope it clears before nightfall!

Daz

Posted

It's going totally clear again from the west. Wooooo!

:pardon:

EDIT: BTW how do you pronounce it? I have been saying Per-sy-des, but I heard Sir Patrick Moore say Per-see-ids. I'm guessing he is right??

Edited by Dazmaster75

Posted

Don't forget to look for the ISS too, passing over the Southern half of the UK just after 10pm from W to SSE :lol:

Edited by simon1

Posted
What time is it?

A quarter past 9 :lol:

I take it you mean the shower! Any time now is good ,with the display after midnight the best apparently.

Edited by simon1

Posted
I take it you mean the shower! Any time now is good ,with the display after midnight the best apparently.

Ahh ok, I'll get my telescope out, put some clothes on and go out in the back garden and have a look. That's if I can get around the light pollution.

Thanks.

Posted

I read somewhere there could be 3 peaks, one about 11pm, one about 5am and another about 8am, so really just watch all night :lol:

Daz

Posted
Ahh ok, I'll get my telescope out, put some clothes on and go out in the back garden and have a look. That's if I can get around the light pollution.

Thanks.

The "experts" have been recommending viewing with the naked eye as being the best. Certainly looking nice and clear anyway!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

The best time is the dark hours just before dawn, whoever she is :lol:

If its still clear I'll have a go at pictures around 2ish, if they turn out I'll put them on here. (he says thinking he will get more than one attempt!!!)

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
The "experts" have been recommending viewing with the naked eye as being the best.

I see what you mean, it would be quite difficult looking through a telescope at them while trying to get it into focus each time.

I'd like to take some camera shots, do you think they're going to be bright enough? The ones I saw last night by Frensham Pond were small and didn't really make much of a mark in the atmosphere and or not large enough to get any Photos off.

Are they going to be bigger tonight do you think?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Just saw a shooting star!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted
I see what you mean, it would be quite difficult looking through a telescope at them while trying to get it into focus each time.

I'd like to take some camera shots, do you think they're going to be bright enough? The ones I saw last night by Frensham Pond were small and didn't really make much of a mark in the atmosphere and or not large enough to get any Photos off.

Are they going to be bigger tonight do you think?

They should be brighter tonight but not sure about pics. I am going to give it a go anyway on a long exposure.

Posted

Excellent, so we know they are about :lol: Ive been looking before all the street lights come on. I can also see some high level cloud rolling in, hope its not loads though.

:o

PS Optimus, there are likely to be some fireballs, but not loads, they will be good for pics/videos :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

If you dont believe me it was Bright and lasted about 2 seconds.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
PS Optimus, there are likely to be some fireballs, but not loads, they will be good for pics/videos :lol:

Sounds good.

My camera tends to eat through Batteries so I only buy cheap ones, with only Tesco Value ones left so don't think I'll get many snaps in. Got to try and work out how to disable the flash, if the camera flashes it'll disorientate the natural colors in the sky creating a big blurry mess? I don't think Google Picasso will be able to sort that out.

Nice night, not a cloud in the sky and chilly. Feels a bit like bonfier night, should be good!

Posted

I do believe you, it's just that in the past they have been forecast, then been a no show (think 1914 was one year, and 2000 was poor too)

Daz

Posted
I do believe you, it's just that in the past they have been forecast, then been a no show (think 1914 was one year, and 2000 was poor too)

Daz

Well they are correct now!