Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

July CET

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

15.4c. Another poor Month

Posted

The Azores High to dominate the pattern during the first half of the month, but sitting to the south-west of Ireland, so temps never better than average, with several cool nights possible. If high pressure does break away east (unlikely) and give us a hot spell, I think it'll be around mid-month and brief, so soon breaking down into thunderstorms.

The second half of the month sees a gradual decline of the Azores High allowing low pressure to bring a particularly cool and wet final week or ten days.

CET 15.0 Rainfall 100%. Sunshine 120%.

Edited by Gavin P

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

In regards to my very low prediction, i am still confident of a below average month, though i may up it slightly on the 28th (not sure yet).

In regards to the modeling of early July, i have been monitering the ensembles in recent days and the CET for the first seven days of July currently looks likely to be between 16.5C and 17C, slightly above average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Slightly below average at 16.1C please.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

I reckon that we will have another year ending in an 8 where the July CET doesn't get above 16ºC. I'll go for 15.7ºC.

c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer, easy really!!

It's sunny and I'm in a cheerful mood so I'll try 17.5

Posted
15.4C a very wet, northerly dominated month with some frosts around in the north.

Blimey , did you smile whils't typing that ...............................

im going for 21 degrees hot and sunny ...how it should be ,given the state of the sea ice up north

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
forgive my N00Bness ... but ... CET?

It stands for the Central England Temperature averages - a measure of the average temperatures in England taken from the mean of three different stations said to be representative of the temperatures in central England.

The monthly CET mean that we try and guess can be confusing because it involves three different layers of averaging: the mean of each day's maximum and minimum for each station; the mean of the three stations for each day; and then the average of all the daily figures for each month. At least I think that's how it works - please correct me someone if I'm wrong.

The advantage of the measure over any other is that this monthly mean figure has been calculated and recorded since the year 1659 - the longest such series in the world. There are arguments about how comparable the older figures are since, amongst other problems, the stations used have changed: it's a long and complex discussion which I won't go into here!

You can find further info and links to the statistics here: http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet

And the following site shows the more recent figures (since 1900), together with yet another layer of averaging - the mean of each month's figure over the 30-year periods 1961-1990 and 1971-200: http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley...av_temperat.htm

im going for 21 degrees hot and sunny ...how it should be ,given the state of the sea ice up north

Vince, you can't mean that - a CET av of 21.0 would be over a degree warmer than any other recorded month ever. See my reply above for what we try and guess if you're confused - it's a measure of the daily average figures, i.e. halfway between the day's max and min.

Edited by osmposm

Posted

osmposm, fantastic, thank you for the detailed description! So eaxactly which are the three stations involved and how is the "mean of the three stations for the day" calculated, is based on hourly observations or every observation made by the station?

Edited by opplevelse

Posted

You're very kind, James. I don't know exactly where they are - though there are people on here who do, and who I hope will see this - but the triangular area covered has points in the North West of England (Lancashire), the South West (?near Bristol) and the South East (?near London). And I believe adjustments are made to the raw data by comparison with other sites, though I've no idea how or why.

The daily means are, I think, very simple - calculated by adding the maximum and minimum values recorded for each day and dividing by two.

Edited by osmposm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
You're very kind, James. I don't know exactly where they are - though there are people on here who do, and who I hope will see this - but the triangular area covered has points in the North West of England (Lancashire), the South West (?near Bristol) and the South East (?near London). And I believe adjustments are made to the raw data by comparison with other sites, though I've no idea how or why.

The daily means are, I think, very simple - calculated by adding the maximum and minimum values recorded for each day and dividing by two.

I looked this up some time ago. The 3 sites are Rothamsted, Malvern and Stoneyhurst all equally weighted.

Further info:

http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/ParkerH...T_IJOC_2005.pdf

c

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

I'll go for 17.8°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

19.8C - A very hot and sunny July. Sweltering!!! PPHhhhheewww :doh:

Edited by Tornado Alley

Posted
I looked this up some time ago. The 3 sites are Rothamsted, Malvern and Stoneyhurst all equally weighted.

Further info:

Thanks very much for that, chiono, gives the very full picture.

There's also info here - some of it slightly confusing - about the stations, but the website allows you to find the precise location of each: http://badc.nerc.ac.uk/data/cet

Relative to the supposed representative triangle - see here: http://badc.nerc.ac.uk/data/cet/map.html - Rothamsted is near Harpenden, Herts, and about 23 miles NNW of Central London. Malvern is a full 47 miles NNE of Bristol - in fact it's it's 2/3 of the way to Birmingham! And Stonyhurst is near Clitheroe, and about 27 miles N of Manchester. So there's a good spread, probably fairly indicative of Central England......but I don't understand why they still show the bottom two points of the triangle as London & Bristol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Blimey , did you smile whils't typing that ...............................

With the weather at the moment there isnt much the smile at.

I'd be expecting to see some very obvious signs on the models now if 21C were to be reached by the end of July ;)

Posted

Phwaaooooor - what a scorcher.

17.7C

Posted

Further info:

c

Of course, not all the stations operate all the time!

stations2min_2008.gif

stations2max_2008.gif

stations2mean_2008.gif

So they must guesstimate some of the data!

I would frankly be concerned about some of the variability in these records, and how representative the current data can be of the Central England Temperatures! I hope their weighting is thorough. :wallbash: