Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

MetO Weather warning watch

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
No, nothing here, Pit. I went to be just after midnight and there was light rain falling with a temp' of 3.0c and 100% humidity.

Further light rain throughout the early hours, with thick fog, so even though the temp' fell back slowly I doubt if there was even any sleet.

Normal story then thanks for that mate. So far from 16 marks only 7.75 points. Not very good so far. Pity I didn't include Netweathers as a comparison when I started this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Showing how quiet the weather has been the first warning for ages.

Surfaces left wet by occasional drizzly rain, sleet or light snow will lead to icy conditions on untreated roads and pavements. The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice regarding traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 2058 Sun 4 Jan

Posted

MetO have issued updated warnings @ 2113 hrs

Widespread Icy Roads for most of the UK tonight into tomorrow :cold:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_...t_warnings.html

The following was issued as you know earlier today and it is still valid:

There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting southeastern parts of England. Rain and sleet will turn to snow as it moves southwestwards across southeastern England during the early hours of Monday and through Monday morning. This will lead to the formation of widespread ice on roads and pavements. There will be accumulations of a centimetre of snow in places on the lower ground and a couple of centimetres over the hills.

Edited by yamkin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.
how much snow would be needed for a red coloured warning?

Probably a foot of snow i guess

Posted

Well they got it right for once ice now forming as overnight rain/sleet followed by a few short but beefy snow showers clears away.

Posted

we have a warning out for freezing rain!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/he/...t_warnings.html

Flash warnings of severe or extreme weather

These are issued when the Met Office has 80% or greater confidence that severe weather is expected in the next few hours.

Local areas affected

Warning type

Valid from

Valid to

Highlands & Eilean Siar:

Highland

Freezing Rain 0400 Tue 6 1100 Tue 6

Outbreaks of rain are expected to fall onto frozen surfaces later in the night with widespread icy stretches forming on untreated roads and pavements. The public are advised to take extra care and refer to Traffic Scotland for further advice on road conditions.

Issued at: 2140 Mon 5 Jan

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Well another weather warning for MOnday and Tues but not for Sunday. Although the text is the same as the one for issued for Sunday for North Western areas. I guess who ever does the web pages only types with one finger so uses copy in paste instead.

A swathe of severe south to south-westerly winds will affect Northern Ireland, south-west Scotland, Wales and many parts of western England during the afternoon and evening of Saturday. Gusts to 70 to 80 mph are expected. Disruption to transport and power supplies is possible and there may be damage to buildings and trees. This warning will be superseded by FLASH warnings.

Meto seem very good at gettign windspeeds so I expect this one to be fairly accurate.

Netweather have one for us for Saturday and Sunday.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_...ings.html?day=4

"There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting Northern Ireland, central and western Scotland and Cumbria. Frequent snow showers during Sunday has the potential to give moderate accumulations over higher roads and temporary accumulations at low levels."

Monday AND Tuesday "There is a low risk of an extreme weather event affecting all of England and Wales. Periods of snow have the potential to give significant accumulations across many areas."

Edited by i luv snow

Posted
Netweather have one for us for Saturday and Sunday.

really, I issued it and don't remember including Yorkshire in it?

I'll be looking at our Alert a bit later this afternoon and possibly amending it as the low does now look likely to be somewhat closer than any prediction when the Alert was issued.

not sure even then it will include siouth Yorkshire but I'll make that decision at the time.

Posted
really, I issued it and don't remember including Yorkshire in it?

I'll be looking at our Alert a bit later this afternoon and possibly amending it as the low does now look likely to be somewhat closer than any prediction when the Alert was issued.

not sure even then it will include siouth Yorkshire but I'll make that decision at the time.

Well it's one of the problems that net weather tends to cover large areas. Something I believe is being looked into but last time I quiered it I was told I was in Northern England.

Posted

Pit why don't you read what the Alert says, it does NOT (YET) addn in my view will not mention Yorkshire north, west, or south for severe gales for Saturday into Sunday morning, nor does the Met O for that matter. Touch and go for the upper levels in the far west of West Yorks?

Posted
Pit why don't you read what the Alert says, it does NOT (YET) addn in my view will not mention Yorkshire north, west, or south for severe gales for Saturday into Sunday morning, nor does the Met O for that matter. Touch and go for the upper levels in the far west of West Yorks?

John why don't you read my post as well. I said Monday and Tuesday from the Met office for our region. Okay I did mention net weather mistakenly but if you're in whining mood I'll have one back. Why do you include all the same areas for each region. Last time I looked South West England isn't in Scotland.

Also correction to the met office warning. There isn't a warning for South Yorkshire just everywhere around it on Monday and Tuesday. I think this a mistake as they do have trouble locating South Yorkshire at times however they made have spotted the Sheffield Shield. Anyone with a sense humour bypass that last bit of the last sentence was a joke.

Posted

I do apologise young man I mistook your comment for the Saturday into Sunday.

As to what happens after that I'll try and get the first one right then we can look from Sunday onwards.

Posted

70 MPH for the whole of the UK Saturday afternoon-night Scotland can expect 90 mph

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Met Office have issued flash warnings for Severe Gales in Wales, Northern Ireland and SW England:

Edited by nick2702

Posted

For the first time ever (I think) the Met Office have put into action their extreme red warnings:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers
For the first time ever (I think) the Met Office have put into action their extreme red warnings:

Yes this is the first time I have seen it too, everyone in the firing line please take all the warnings seriously and stay safe, this looks like a real humdinger of a storm, not looking forward to it, thinking of going to bed with the earplugs in!!

SS2

Posted
Yes this is the first time I have seen it too, everyone in the firing line please take all the warnings seriously and stay safe, this looks like a real humdinger of a storm, not looking forward to it, thinking of going to bed with the earplugs in!!

SS2

Exactly, those in the red areas be extremely careful, the key from the Met Office makes grim reading:

"Major damage to infrastructure and the environment is likely. Casualties are possible"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Interesting to see a red warning, stay safe up there. I think this is the second time there has been a red warning as I remember one for Heavy Rain in Lincolnshire several months back.

Posted

New advisory out for Monday.

Heavy Snow & Severe Gales Mon 19 Jan

There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting most of Scotland and Wales, Northern Ireland and parts of northern and western England.

Over England and Wales, winds could be more of a significant problem than snow, with gales or severe gales in places. However, there is still the potential for periods of snow to give significant accumulations across areas, mostly in the north and west.

Issued at: 1258 Sat 17 Jan.

Posted

Mondays warning removed. Tuesdays still in place probably will get removed later say Sunday or Monday.

No warnings for Strong winds for the area.

Very concerned to see the latest Met Office Severe Weather watch for Scotland especially, please stay safe out ether.

On a trivial note in comparison, good to see the snow risk remaining for West Wales on Monday and upgraded to a moderate risk.