Cold?
IGNORED

MetO Weather warning watch

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
Warning back again.

There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of eastern England. Heavy showers and thunderstorms will occur during the day in many parts. There are likely to be some very heavy downpours, mainly during the afternoon and evening, giving falls of 20 to 30mm in places.

Issued at: 0130 Sun 31 Aug

Another miss I'm afraid unless something changes in the next few hours.

Posted
Another miss I'm afraid unless something changes in the next few hours.

Well the actual rainfall was 7.7mm one brief heavy shower but mainly light rain. Another miss bringing the success rate down to 40.6%

Posted

Another warning out for South Yorkshire area

Heavy rain will continue to affect many parts of the United Kingdom on Saturday before easing on Sunday. The rain will be most persistent in the eastern side of northern England where totals in excess of 50mm are possible in places, particularly over high ground.

Issued at: 1042 Wed 3 Sep

Going for a lower limit of 40 mm for this one chances. Can they improve the 40% success rate ???? Will update if and when the Met Office update.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I see Derbyshire, along with the remainder of England not already covered by a warning, is now on a 'be aware' advisory.

I expect quite a bit more shuffling of the colours over various counties during the next 48 hours or so.

Posted
I see Derbyshire, along with the remainder of England not already covered by a warning, is now on a 'be aware' advisory.

I expect quite a bit more shuffling of the colours over various counties during the next 48 hours or so.

Strange that the middle bit is missing out. The rain sort of jumps across. I suspect that Met Office will go crazy as will the media and we get 5mm's of rain while the media goes on about the day after tomorrow stuff. Next few hours will be interesting.

Posted

Well no real change for us warning wise so lower limit 40mm can't set a higher limit as they haven't given one.

Posted

Derbyshire has been added to the 'Be prepared' list in the last hour with a warning of heavy thundery showers developing behind the main rain area, possibly giving 20mm in 3 hours.

If these materialise we could end up with a high rainfall total today.

Posted

currently 9.4mm here, so many around here may well be showing 12-15mm already.

quite well shown on the latter stages of the Extra/GFS run, less so further out which is what one might expect, overall looks a good call by the models for this area.

Posted

Yes warning updated to confuse matters somewhat.

Occasionally very heavy rain will continue during the remainder of Friday and through the early hours of Saturday morning. Rain rates of more than 15 mm in 3 hours are expected. The rain will be most persistent in the eastern side of northern England where totals in excess of 50 mm are possible in places, particularly over high ground. The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the 'Highways Agency' for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads, and also to the Environment Agency Floodline and 'Flood Warnings in force'.

Issued at: 1405 Fri 5 Sep

According to the Davis we're up to 29 mm of rain now. This tends to read a little high but certainly over an inch. Been raining since about five. Unless the rain band ceases moving north we'll be out of any heavy stuff in a few hours. Interesting they given rain rates as well. Very brave.

About 30mm here in 1 hour 30 mins according to my rain gauge.

I'm not surprised looking at the Radar for that area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Id say the Met Office have done a good job issuing the advisorys and flash warnings asepcially for parts of Wales where there has been Flooding.

There could be 15-25mm extra in this area, that wouldnt suprise me.

Posted

Ah well 9.6mm to go for the lower limit.

Posted

Funny as soon as they update the warnings the rain stops.

Posted
Funny as soon as they update the warnings the rain stops.

Where are you viewing an updated warning from? The last Yorkshire update on the MetOffice site was 14:05 as far as I can see. The Rother looks to be in trouble around Rotherham from what I have seen too. It has risen significantly this afternoon and is almost certain to flood if heavy rains do come this evening.

Posted
Where are you viewing an updated warning from? The last Yorkshire update on the MetOffice site was 14:05 as far as I can see. The Rother looks to be in trouble around Rotherham from what I have seen too. It has risen significantly this afternoon and is almost certain to flood if heavy rains do come this evening.

That's the one. I was using an earlier one. Whether we get any more heavy rain depends on whether the rain down south survives it's journey northward. Certainly could be a significant rain 24 hr period.

Posted
That's the one. I was using an earlier one. Whether we get any more heavy rain depends on whether the rain down south survives it's journey northward. Certainly could be a significant rain 24 hr period.

The rain belt currently appears to be intensifying as it is moving north - and all the forecasts seem to indicate that it will survive the journey.

Posted

Despite the weather warning for Derbyshire being removed yesterday evening we ended up with another 27 mm of rain overnight, most of it in the space of a couple of hours around midnight.

They should have left the warning in place!

Posted

yes it did seem a bit odd given the area of hefty echoes showing downwind of the area.

total here, is 22.6mm, so I would imagine better exposed raingauges will be showing nearer 30 mm or more in this area, on low ground.

Certainly the Don in this area must be close if not already overtopping in places I would imagine.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

They removed the warning ?????????? oops.

Okay back late from morning respite walk away from my ill Mother and NFH's took some photo's of a rather full River Manifold and around Ashford in the water.

Right rainfall for the 24 hrs came in at 50.1mm Davis came in slightly over and I will adjust honest as soon as it stops raining.

So this one they've got right.

There's a new one out though which is looking on dodgy grounds to be honest. Looking at the radar I can't see any reason at the present time for it. However they may know something.

Rain will be heavy at times this afternoon, giving 15 mm in 3 hours and locally up to 20 mm in places. Rain is expected to ease this evening.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the latest Environment Agency, Floodline and 'Flood Warnings in Force', and also to the Highways Agency for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Posted

Yes, there has been a ' be prepared' warning out for Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire from 1200 but the heavy rain has been much further south, over Warwickshire and the West Midlands.We had a few short heavy showers earlier ( before the warning came into effect ) but only a little light rain and drizzle this afternoon.

Perhaps the Met' Office are/were expecting the heavy rain to move northward over this area but looking at the NW Radar it doesn't seem likely.

Posted
They removed the warning ?????????? oops.

Okay back late from morning respite walk away from my ill Mother and NFH's took some photo's of a rather full River Manifold and around Ashford in the water.

Right rainfall for the 24 hrs came in at 50.1mm Davis came in slightly over and I will adjust honest as soon as it stops raining.

So this one they've got right.

There's a new one out though which is looking on dodgy grounds to be honest. Looking at the radar I can't see any reason at the present time for it. However they may know something.

Rain will be heavy at times this afternoon, giving 15 mm in 3 hours and locally up to 20 mm in places. Rain is expected to ease this evening.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the latest Environment Agency, Floodline and 'Flood Warnings in Force', and also to the Highways Agency for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

pit some hasty looking ecos they near you

Posted

The warning has been updated in the last half hour and now includes West Midlands, Worcestershire, Warwickshire, Leicestershire and Rutland, which is where the heavy rain has been falling in the last few hours.

The warning is still in place for Derbyshire but there's nothing of any note in the county as a whole let alone here, in fact the whole area of heavy rain appears to be pivoting around my postcode area without actually reaching it.

Posted
pit some hasty looking ecos they near you

Nope nothing of interest near me here perhaps a bit more sun then maybe but otherwise dead in the water as it was put up.

Posted

on the 12z Watnall a temperature of 19C should give convection with dewpoints of 12-14 range.

tops with 18-19C around 30,000ft

the trough associated with the surface low, just south of TM, as it tracks about ene may also aid this before the rather lower dewpoint air on its western flank moves in.

Posted
on the 12z Watnall a temperature of 19C should give convection with dewpoints of 12-14 range.

tops with 18-19C around 30,000ft

the trough associated with the surface low, just south of TM, as it tracks about ene may also aid this before the rather lower dewpoint air on its western flank moves in.

We've got convection at 16.2C not tremendous but it's there. We seem to be close to the centre of a vortex so the building showers to the south may swing round towards us. At the present time they're moving away from TM though although he get caught by one moving down from the North. If anyone doesn't belief me about the vortex just play the radar nice little spiral near us. Use s8 as the post code.

Edited by The PIT