Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Welcome To The Netweather USA Storm Chase Group

Paul Sherman

Posted

Anyone have any idea what's going on even though there are great predictions this year the graph shows that so far we are falling short of recent years

when is this La Nina going to take effect

torngraph.png

opinions greatly appreciated

Edited by dogs32

Posted
Anyone have any idea what's going on even though there are great predictions this year the graph shows that so far we are falling short of recent years

when is this La Nina going to take effect

torngraph.png

opinions greatly appreciated

Lol

Chill Out Pat ! :)

Last year was a Strong La Nina which trended to Moderate La Nina, which means more Outbreaks earlier in the Gulf States, this has no bearing on the Plains whatsoever. There was a big Outbreak in Florida last Jan and March, the huge Outbreak in February across Alabama, Kentucky etc and big Outbreaks in Dixi Alley throughout March and Early April which bumped the number up considerably. This Season could be like a 2003/2004 which started off very similary. I am still expecting Tornado Outbreaks to be most active for 2nd half of April until the 1st Week of June, with a Very Early Summer "Ridge" setting in early to mid June as the La Nina goes Neutral.

Receding La Nina years also favour swarms of Tornado Families so "2 Day Outbreaks" etc should occur with back to back Moderate Risks etc etc

Paul S

Posted

cheers Paul

:)

Im just waching this every step of the way now...

Sometimes you can anylise things to much...which seems to be me at present.... :)

I will have a nice fag and a beer and chill

thx for the info

Edited by dogs32

Posted
cheers Paul

:blush:

Im just waching this every step of the way now...

Sometimes you can anylise things to much...which seems to be me at present.... :D

I will have a nice fag and a beer and chill

thx for the info

im just fed up of waiting for things to happen!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

GFS shows a much more active couple of weeks coming up if you look into FI. There's the chance of severe weather at the weekend, Central KS/OK/TX into AR/MO. Another round comes through on the 10th this time further south, with a really nice system progged for the 15th back in Central and Eastern KS/OK/TX (this is getting well into FI of course!). Certainly something to keep an eye on. Central TX could do with some rain to add some moisture to the ground. Western TX needs it even more but there nothing progged for this area for a while.

Posted

I was just thinking are all the cars in the USA Automatic?

also do you think this suction pad will be OK for a digital camera which also acts like a Video HD camera,

just until next year when I will get a decent one

http://www.b-hague.co.uk/ball_head_with_su...n_foot_sm10.htm

Posted
I was just thinking are all the cars in the USA Automatic?

Not all but the vast majority, i'm not surprised though as the roads are all long, straight and boring!

Posted

Never driven a Automatic...I take it they are easy........

just ordered a real good suction mount for video and cameras.....from Fast Film..

Was going to get a cheapy one but thought my cameras are to expensive so ended up buying one at £95.00 :good:

better to be safe than sorry as I wouldnt like my camera flying off on Route 66 :)

getting very excited now :)

I have the capacity to capture 1,200 RAW shots of lightning with CF cards and around 28GB SHDC EXTREME III

HD for video

I just hope this is enough....Would use FHD but eats the gigs up to quickly

latest trend in Tornados are going vertical on the latest chart

edit

and thx Paul.S for all your advice

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!
Never driven a Automatic...I take it they are easy........

just ordered a real good suction mount for video and cameras.....from Fast Film..

Was going to get a cheapy one but thought my cameras are to expensive so ended up buying one at £95.00 :lol:

better to be safe than sorry as I wouldnt like my camera flying off on Route 66 :D

getting very excited now :)

I have the capacity to capture 1,200 RAW shots of lightning with CF cards and around 28GB SHDC EXTREME III

HD for video

I just hope this is enough....Would use FHD but eats the gigs up to quickly

latest trend in Tornados are going vertical on the latest chart

edit

and thx Paul.S for all your advice

I'm going to get another couple of CF cards too.

I'm also thinking of buying a good HD camcorder off Ebay used, then selling it again when I get home, shouldn't make much of a loss :)

Posted
I'm going to get another couple of CF cards too.

I'm also thinking of buying a good HD camcorder off Ebay used, then selling it again when I get home, shouldn't make much of a loss :lol:

Just had a real good idea with cards...........Would be cheaper to buy an external HD at say 400gb at around £45.Then just move all vids and pics every night over to drive........would work out cheaper than buying many cards

Posted
Just had a real good idea with cards...........Would be cheaper to buy an external HD at say 400gb at around £45.Then just move all vids and pics every night over to drive........would work out cheaper than buying many cards

Would defo work out cheaper Dogs. Thats what I'll be doing. One little thing about external HDD's though is that if your copying all your photo's / video to one drive and then formatting your camera media, pretty much all your eggs in one basket. Ext HDD's aren't so good with shock either, where as solid state media such as SD or CF are much better in that regard. I'll be backing up my data to external HDD and I'll also make sure I'll have ample space on my notebook HDD to store a seperate copy of same until I get home. I'll try and make sure both travel seperatlely :rolleyes:

Posted
Would defo work out cheaper Dogs. Thats what I'll be doing. One little thing about external HDD's though is that if your copying all your photo's / video to one drive and then formatting your camera media, pretty much all your eggs in one basket. Ext HDD's aren't so good with shock either, where as solid state media such as SD or CF are much better in that regard. I'll be backing up my data to external HDD and I'll also make sure I'll have ample space on my notebook HDD to store a seperate copy of same until I get home. I'll try and make sure both travel seperatlely :angry:

you have summed it up exactly my plan.....And yes hopefully the HDD doesnt get lost.....

I also have Eee storage on-line as it came with notebook,depending on the speed in these Hotels I will post up on there.....I here someone as built a Lightning Trigger is it you.....

Another good way to test it is to use a Plasma light....This is how I got my camera setting for my lightning shots.

Capturing the plasma at 1/4 at F11..PERFECT IN DAYTIME :(

Im not going to put my lightning trigger in my bag with me on the plane just in my case...

As customs kept it for 2 weeks last time and I had to pay £40 to get it back....

They must of thought it was some sort of bomb :rolleyes:

How I have struggled to get anything done over the last 3 weeks because of the excitment :angry:

Posted

LOL. Cant keep anything quiet here Yeah, I've converted a one of the portable StrikeAlert thingies into a trigger for a Canon 450D. But proof will be in the puddin. In Early tests I've been able to photograph the electronic ignition for a gas hob in daylight. I think it might be a bit sensetive for over there, but we will see. If it works well I'll publish some build instructions.

God I'm in bad need of a storm now!!

Roll on April!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

05-3409wp.jpg

04-1951wp.jpg

HOLY COW :)

The loveliest clouds on the planet

04-1430wp.jpg

double click on pics.

your see the true beauty of these clouds enlarged and how frightening they are

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Those pictures have done the rounds in many of those chain/send them on emails. I think they might even be from Australia? Awesome stuff though!

All the same, if i get something close to that in May i'll be amazed :winky:

I'm on tour 2 now as well mate :)

Posted

They are all from the Very Place you guys are going too LOL

Check out Mike Hollingsheads Site ( www.extremeinstability.com ) and you will see most of them, Mike is from Blair (Nebraska)

Is your brother going yet Ross, itching to update the Chase Page! :winky:

Paul S

Posted
They are all from the Very Place you guys are going too LOL

Check out Mike Hollingsheads Site ( www.extremeinstability.com ) and you will see most of them, Mike is from Blair (Nebraska)

Is your brother going yet Ross, itching to update the Chase Page! :)

Paul S

Darn! I knew they were stolen from somewhere but thought they may have been Oz. Oh well, must have been another set of pics that were Oz :winky:

Not sure yet, he didn't sound confident earlier. Somebody will be coming though i think, so you can just put +1 if you want. lol.

Posted
Darn! I knew they were stolen from somewhere but thought they may have been Oz. Oh well, must have been another set of pics that were Oz :winky:

Not sure yet, he didn't sound confident earlier. Somebody will be coming though i think, so you can just put +1 if you want. lol.

Okey Dokey, BTW I need a Chase Biography from you and your +1 LOL

We do this every year, just a bit about yourself, age, hobbies, what you want out of the trip etc, just Pm it to me before the 31st March and it will go into the Storm Chase Forum in Early April.

Have been watching the Storms of 2008 tonight (Ahh Heaven) It only arrived today after having it on order from February. Lots of great memories from last years Chases. I now have all the Storms Of Series from 2001 in my Collection. And they are guarded away from the Kids LOL

Paul S

Posted
Okey Dokey, BTW I need a Chase Biography from you and your +1 LOL

We do this every year, just a bit about yourself, age, hobbies, what you want out of the trip etc, just Pm it to me before the 31st March and it will go into the Storm Chase Forum in Early April.

Have been watching the Storms of 2008 tonight (Ahh Heaven) It only arrived today after having it on order from February. Lots of great memories from last years Chases. I now have all the Storms Of Series from 2001 in my Collection. And they are guarded away from the Kids LOL

Paul S

I've got enough coursework as it is thanks, lol. I'll try to get something to you when i get a chance. For the +1 i may just write about my dog for now... although she hates storms :winky:

What is it that you ordered?

Posted

The Storms of 2008.

It is a Compilation of the Years Chases which is put together by Stormtrack, Chasers Submit their footage and it gets put together on a 2 Hour Dvd, Most of the Footage has not been seen before, all the proceeds go to Charity, Last years was Pitcher (Ok) and the year before put towards the Disaster Relief for Greensburg. Bit gutted I did not Submit our Aurora or Ellis Footage as that was not on the Dvd so they would have used it and I would have had my name up in Lights, ah well there is always this year!

Paul S

BTW You can order the Dvd's and pay via Paypal or Visa/Mastercard, google Stormtrack and there is a Link on the Site from who to order from, think they do a package for the Storms of 2004-2007 for about $30