IGNORED

Welcome To The Netweather USA Storm Chase Group

Paul Sherman

Posted

Ross that seems like a long time for me mate :rolleyes:

Its only 3 weeks here this Sat

It will go quick now :doh:

Nearly got all my stuff together now...Just a few bits of odd ends to get

Looking forward to the trip to the Hotel on the 25th with the guys...

Still need to get my Coach ticket yet

Edited by dogs32

Posted
Ross that seems like a long time for me mate :rolleyes:

It will go quick now :doh:

lol, it will go pretty quick as i dont have much time to get stuff finished.

I can't even get properly excited yet as i still have loads of coursework to hand in before i go. Plus, i have my honours project presentation the day before i leave (if not the day i leave depending on flights!) :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!
torngraph-2.png

nice :yahoo:

hopefully this will keep going straight up for us

Where do you find those graphs dogs?

I tried the NOAA website but I couldn't see them.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
Where do you find those graphs dogs?

I tried the NOAA website but I couldn't see them.

Heres the link Mark,

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/wcm/

Posted
Heres the link Mark,

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/wcm/

Thanks for that, there's some fascinating stuff on there, bookmarked :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9
Ross that seems like a long time for me mate :)

It will go quick now :)

Looking forward to the trip to the Hotel on the 25th with the guys...

Still need to get my Coach ticket yet

This might prove to a surprise to all those people who know me I HAVE NOT PACKED A THING ,yet. I normally start packing 1st June, when I get home from the chase tip. Will buy my train ticket on the 25th when I am setting off. I try to travel light. Last year because I had expected to chase alone for a week I packed lots of equipment e.g. Garmin GPS, power invertors, two way radio, CB radio, lots of cables and connectors, two storm alert radios, lightning detector, two digital cameras, lots of spare batteries , lap top and Sony camcorder etc etc. In addition I throw in two repair kits, small screw driver set (a new one because I mistakingly left imy old one in my camera case and security relieved me of it at the airport) I also always take asprin, Imodium, travel sickness tablets, hay fever medicine , bite cream and plasters, you have to be prepared.

Oh and suncream which I hopefully never have to use.

I need to do myself a check list.

Tom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

I have a holdall and my camera rucksack which I take for 3 weeks of solo chasing. The camera rucksack at a stretch gets the camera, lenses, inverters, windscreen clamp, laptop, webcam, tapes, cards, batteries, my documentation, tickets and the tripod attached to it. It barely fits in AA's overhead storage but somehow I manage it. The main problem is getting through security when they ask for all electircal items to be taken out of the backpack :/ This year I have an extra Telephoto lens to fit in so that's going to be problematic... My holdall usually has 2 weeks worth of clothes, and I'll either do a wash at a hotel on a down day, or just buy more clothes and ditch some old ones whilst I'm over there. I usually take a few old shirts (with holes in) to wear on days when nothing is happening and don't mind leaving them behind and replacing them with some cheap new clothing whilst out there! I also fit the weather radio, some books and software, and possibly a second tripod in the holdall.

Posted

Just wanted to let everyone know the £ - $ Rate is the best it has been for 7 months today, closing just below $1.49

Just in case anyone was thinking of changing up some reddies soon!

Paul S

Posted

I'm not looking forward to the packing at all, but if you can pack for 3 weeks then surely I can manage for 10 days! :)

Paul S, I don't have my own laptop, should I try to borrow one or will there be one available for posting photos/reports on here? I'll have enough photo storage on cards so I won't be needing it for that.

Posted
I'm not looking forward to the packing at all, but if you can pack for 3 weeks then surely I can manage for 10 days! :)

Paul S, I don't have my own laptop, should I try to borrow one or will there be one available for posting photos/reports on here? I'll have enough photo storage on cards so I won't be needing it for that.

How much on memory cards do you have? The RAW files from taking lightning pictures at night will take up a lot of space. I have 2x8GB cards because they were on special offer, but i'm still taking the laptop just in case. I'm planning on editing them anyway in the car when we are travelling to our next destination, if the software works well enough on my old laptop :)

Posted

Mark

It is probably advisable to Take/Borrow a Laptop for whilst you are out there as when we are all done with Chasing we get back to the Hotel Rooms and plug in our Laptops and get the Free Wifi at the Hotels and then Upload Pictures to the Days Chase Report! This can take a few hours, esp if you have some Video that needs editing as well.

With regards to the Cars and Power points - This as Follows

The Front 2 Cigarette Lighter Sockets are used Solely for the Barons (Has To Have It's own Unique Power Source or It Conflicts) and My Laptop to Run It From.

The Socket Under The Drinks Dispenser is for The GPS Mans Laptop.

There are 2 Extra Sockets at the back right hand side of the Car near the Boot, from these we can run a 2 More things that need Power (Eg Laptop, Mobile Phone Chargers) Wont be able to Split them as this sometimes overloads the Car and things start to blow fuses.

But the Backup is to travel in Car 2, This will be running a Laptop from one of the front sockets for GRLevel3 and one for the Live Streaming, this leaves 4 Power Sources for people to run Laptops quite easily, If you want to Edit photos qhilst on the move etc

We are having 3 Microsoft GPS Receivers in Action this year as well, one attached to the Barons, One attached to GRLevel3 and One attached to Delorme Streets 2008!

Gonna be Cables everywhere

Paul S

Posted
may I just add there needs to be a socket free in each car for the radios that will be in the cars also :)

Hi Ian

i think that answers Paul question

TOM

Posted

Oops Yes There does indeed need to be a Socket free for the Base Units of the Inter Car Radios.

So that means the freebie Sockets are the Double Sockets at the back right of both Cars, from which you can put Inverters into to get Power Supply.

Not a problem for Tour 3 as we only have 1 Big Car and hence the In Car Radios are not needed.

Paul S

Posted
Oops Yes There does indeed need to be a Socket free for the Base Units of the Inter Car Radios.

So that means the freebie Sockets are the Double Sockets at the back right of both Cars, from which you can put Inverters into to get Power Supply.

Not a problem for Tour 3 as we only have 1 Big Car and hence the In Car Radios are not needed.

Paul S

Paul you will have to let me know if you need splitters or power inverters bringing.

TOM

Posted

You might as well Tom, I think I have about 5 Power Inverters, some are double Splitters, but cannot remember if any have fuses blown etc, only really take what I need. But some more would not go amiss!

**Also Ian have you sorted out your Power adaptor for your Computer yet ?? Remember none of my adaptors fitted your Laptop

Paul S

Posted
You might as well Tom, I think I have about 5 Power Inverters, some are double Splitters, but cannot remember if any have fuses blown etc, only really take what I need. But some more would not go amiss!

Paul S

Might throw what have in my case and leave my Des O'Connor cd behind

Tom

Posted

no paul not had the time yet to sort that problem out though it is on my list of things to do along with a few other things though should sort most of them in the next week or so is PC world the best place to go?

Posted
no paul not had the time yet to sort that problem out though it is on my list of things to do along with a few other things though should sort most of them in the next week or so is PC world the best place to go?

Just go to where you bought the Lappy, and ask them if they sell the Power lead that fits the Power adaptor on your Laptop into a Power Supply/Cigarette Socket

Paul S

**Tom just sent you Last years Pics Via Email**

Posted

Its luck of the draw Paul really...

Post Office today offering 1.43 to the £....Might see what its like Monday and if its any good I will change my money.

I keep thinking maybe I should hold on a bit longer to see if it gets any better.

So this week I might exchange all my money..

3 weeks today :lol:

Posted
may I just add there needs to be a socket free in each car for the radios that will be in the cars also :lol:

Jez,very important!

Ian, let me know what type of PSU you need for your laptop and I'll sort it out for you for the RS.

Edited by Christ I don't know

Posted

This is a Long Range forecast..

Dont know how accurate they are but an interesting read.

For the MidWest

LONG-RANGE FORECASTS

Zone #3:THE PRAIRIE PROVINCES OF CANADA, THE NORTHERN U.S.

GREAT PLAINS AND THE MIDWEST CORN AND SOYBEAN BELT

Storms will increase across this region through the end of April. Overall, conditions should be wetter and cooler than usual. Tornadic activity will be likely from late April into at least early June, especially from I-70 southward. The cool and wet pattern should persist into mid-June before turning much hotter and drier than normal.

For the S/Central

Zone #4: THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN GREAT PLAINS

Drier than normal weather is expected between now and the end of March. April and May should see increases in thunderstorm, and even tornadic activity. Vital moisture should fall in the Texas and Oklahoma regions. By June, however, it looks drier and hotter, especially late in the month.

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Regarding laptop power supplies, I have I laptop power converter which I used to power my sis's Samsung Laptop last year. This was the type with multiple connectors for different makes, similar to Paul's if I remmeber rightly. My new laptop connector is different however. I do have a dedicated Cigarette Lighter to British Plug socket and wondered if simply plugging the entire laptop AC adaptor into this would be fine? I could then run battery chargers and other smaller things off the the 4way adaptor I have. I won't have a problem with the number of sockets available owing to being on my own, but I don't want to overload my AC adaptor and blow it, if at all possibly. Any ideas, anyone?