Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Welcome To The Netweather USA Storm Chase Group

Paul Sherman

Posted

Its all down to wattage Nathan. Most inverters I've come accross are 300 Watt RMS max. A laptop, mobile phone charger and a few other low amp periphials shoulf be fine.

Posted

Choose your power inverter carefully and test it well before you leave. I blew my power unit on my laptop on the firsty day last year and had to buy a new laptop out there. Unknown to me the inverter was set to reverse polarity.

This year I have got a standard plug in 12 volt 75 W adapter which processes 220 volts to my laptop. A bit more safe.

PS. I hate dragging around the big breeze block type inverters which are much too bulky. Worth giving this one some consideration. Me thinks

Edited by Tony Gilbert

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Thanks Tony, what I was considering is similar to that. I'll use the 4 way converter for everything else. I guess I can always test in my own car here, and if I blow the laptop up, I'll probably be able to return it as it's new :)

Posted
Thanks Tony, what I was considering is similar to that. I'll use the 4 way converter for everything else. I guess I can always test in my own car here, and if I blow the laptop up, I'll probably be able to return it as it's new :)

Hi Gorky,

Most US hire cars or vans have atleast 3 cigar lighter sockets. The last van I was on had about 5!

Another mistake I made years ago was using a multi socket extension lead from one lighter socket. They just can't take the load and pretty much melt. I do prefer to make that effort to charge all my electrical gear overnight in the hotel room. In fact it is the first thing I usually do when I open the door! Only got to worry about the Baron and laptops on the road then. :)

Posted
I've just spent the last 2 hrs looking for cheaper Insurance than WalkAbout's

With no such luck!!!

so WalkAbout it is :)

Hi mate, direct line offer storm chasing insurance if you haven't already bought it from walkabout!

Posted

cheers Ross.....will check it out..thx

edit..Ross this maybe a stupid Q...but will this cover you for Extreme events like Storm Chasing

remember Paul's leaving me in a Kansas field with a EF3 :)

SO i NEED TO BE COVERED..LOL

Edited by dogs32

Posted
cheers Ross.....will check it out..thx

edit..Ross this maybe a stupid Q...but will this cover you for Extreme events like Storm Chasing

remember Paul's leaving me in a Kansas field with a EF3 :)

SO i NEED TO BE COVERED..LOL

Yep, we have an existing yearly policy with them and we just phoned them up. The girl didn't know what storm chasing was :) She checked on the under-writing database thing and it is listed as storm chasing cover. As long as reasonable precautions are taken e.g dont buy the TIV and drive into it :)

(Not sure exactly which policy it is, it also covers skiing)

Posted

Tony

We have already paid our Subs for the Baron :lol: So all we do is phone Up Xm and they send the signal when we get there, no messing around with 1 Hour Phone calls and them trying to process the Uk Card!

Paul S

Posted

Good idea Paul. I'll get it sorted. :lol:

PS. What did you pay for activation and how much was the monthly cost for XM this year?

Edited by Tony Gilbert

Posted

Tony if you tell em you are a Uk Visitor and Seasonal Subscriber they Should waive the Activation Fee (They did for Us) and just charge you the Months Fee, which has NOT Gone Up!

Hope this helps

Paul S

Posted

I fly out Friday May 8th, and Fly back Saturday 30th, with 1 extra day travel either side of that so a good 3 weeks for me!

Posted
Yep, we have an existing yearly policy with them and we just phoned them up. The girl didn't know what storm chasing was :lol:

:lol: !

btw I didn't realize how much was involved planning wise etc!

Posted

yes your right Cookie........Was a bit of a shock for me also..

The good thing is most of the equipment you buy only once.

Cards,camera..ect..ect...

Cost a fortune :o

I think you cant avoid the insurance...best to be safe than sorry as the USA hospital bills are not cheap places.

Well its nail biting time for me now as its only 2 weeks this Saturday :lol:

Gorky or Tony we might see you out there...

I'm sure Paul passes you by at some point.

Cant wait to see the TIV :lol:

The Red One!!!

Only got my Coach ticket left now to buy and then I'm all set.

Posted
Hi Tony and Gorky....

When do you two guys fly out there...

And how long are you planning on staying in the States. :lol:

Hi Dog,

18th May-3rd June! :lol:

PS. Regarding Travel Insurance; My bank account supplies me with free all year travel insurance as a bonus!...I decree for insurance purposes; I am going touring across the USA as my vacation. Though alas this period tends to be rather stormy across that part of the USA. You should then be covered for any stated eventuality, including weather related. Why complicate things? :o

Edited by Tony Gilbert

Posted

Hi all,

2 weeks to go - can't wait to get going, I am ridiculously excited :) I have packed and repacked a couple of times - just need to get my insurance and then I am done (I think!) Thanks for the info about Direct Line, I'll give them a call.

See you in the airport/plane/US!!

Tammy

Posted

Thx Tony and Gorky.....we might bump into eacthother :D

I Get your meaning Tony about Tornado Insurance...

Will book it today...I cant help it if my vacation is going to be bad weather :)

Aunt Sall we are nearly there :)

Ive packed and unpacked about 5 times so far :lol:

On the Plane look out for someone who looks terrified...that will be me :lol:

Going last minute shopping this week for odds and ends...

Still havent got enough shorts or T shirts yet...

I think Aunt Sally your not far from the Comandering in Cheif(Paul Sherman) on the plane...

Im somewhere towards the back I think...Cant remember what Paul said

Edited by dogs32

Posted
Thx Tony and Gorky.....we might bump into eacthother :D

I Get your meaning Tony about Tornado Insurance...

Will book it today...I cant help it if my vacation is going to be bad weather :)

Aunt Sall we are nearly there :)

Ive packed and unpacked about 5 times so far :lol:

On the Plane look out for someone who looks terrified...that will be me :lol:

Going last minute shopping this week for odds and ends...

Still havent got enough shorts or T shirts yet...

I think Aunt Sally your not far from the Comandering in Cheif(Paul Sherman) on the plane...

Im somewhere towards the back I think...Cant remember what Paul said

Hi Dogs,

I'll look out for you on the plane - I'll be the one attempting to sleep up right which I can never do!! I understand that Mr Sherman is sat in front of me and I have been told to "tweek his ears and kick his seat" by someone in the Netweather office!! Obviously I am a nice person and would never do that - and don't want to run the risk of being abandoned somewhere remote in Texas :)

I am also heading for the shops this week-end as I need some more memory cards for camera. I think that I have enough clothes and am covered for all eventualities!!

See you on the plane

Tammy

Posted

Just wondering if any of the guys on the NetWeather Tour might share a flight out with me? I'm flying out an AA51 May 8th at 10:25am and flying back on AA80 May 30th at 9:05pm. I know this coincides with Tour 2 flying out and Tour 3 returning so I may well bump into a few people at the airports :)

Posted

as anyone had any problems with the US concerning hand luggage full of electrical equipment and batteries...

Dont fancy putting all of my equpment into the suitcase to be thrown around..

Posted
Just wondering if any of the guys on the NetWeather Tour might share a flight out with me? I'm flying out an AA51 May 8th at 10:25am and flying back on AA80 May 30th at 9:05pm. I know this coincides with Tour 2 flying out and Tour 3 returning so I may well bump into a few people at the airports :)

Hi mate, i think my borther and I are on the same flight out, i'm not 100% sure though!

as anyone had any problems with the US concerning hand luggage full of electrical equipment and batteries...

I've always been fine with my hand luggage. Usually i have my laptop/camera/3 lenses/ my phone as well as a load of cables and memory cards when i go out to the USA pretty regularly. I only ever get asked to take my laptop out, everything else is fine. Not a chance i would put them in the hold!

I have once been asked to turn my PSP/Laptop on to show there were no bombs in them soon after 9/11 but i haven't had anything like that for a while.

Also, has anyone read the horror stories about US customs searching for pirated software/music on laptops and confiscating them? Not that i will have anything to worry about :)

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Never had a problem with the laptop, camera/camcorder and associated cables that I have put in my hand luggage when I've past through Dallas last few years. More likely to be searched this end before you board.

I wouldn't recommend putting valuable stuff like laptop and cameras in luggage hold though, you never know what may happen to it!

Posted
Tony if you tell em you are a Uk Visitor and Seasonal Subscriber they Should waive the Activation Fee (They did for Us) and just charge you the Months Fee, which has NOT Gone Up!

Hope this helps

Paul S

Called XM radio today. Sadly they were not willing to waive the activation fee and were not willing to allow me to pay for my usage fee upfront? :) Blimey Paul did you flutter your eyelids at them or something? :)

Posted

cheers Nick/Ross.was quite worried to be honest....

They are a very unhappy bunch in customs..

I know from previouse trips my bags have been searched but I only had a few camera bits...

This time with all the batteries and cables and the Lightning Trigger box I was worried it would get taken......

Nick Im going to keep my bag on me at all times Im not going to put it in the hold........

Should fit down by my feet

Edited by dogs32