Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch London, Se England & E Anglia

Posted
Report from Central London

15-20cm of level snow - drifts of 30-45cm in side streets just off Tottenham Court Road.

This event is threatening to surpass February 1991 for this location - still snowing very hard.

The only thing that amazes me more is that I actually managed to drive to work without a crash!

I stayed up all night and was worth it.

Just to watch the snow fall and build to a handsome 40cm - over one foot is simply amazing :wub:

Our cars are snowed in as well as the our residents.

Wife is off work, kids off school/college.

Snow s getting heavier again.

It snowed non stop last night to now :doh:

What we are having now is just a starter. The main course is on it's way from France. I could be looking at 60cm + later on.

There could be more snow for the SE tomorrow, late Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun :doh:

Temp is -1.5c

Edited by yamkin

Posted

I think what the current synoptics show is that easterlies can deliver far more in terms of widespread snow than northerlies etc of course though they don't always have all the factors perfectly coming together.

Posted
Still cant quite explain why Paul S. and others in the Southend/Leigh area have done so badly overnight. :(

Regards,

Tom.

:blush:

Thinking about giving Up looking at Synoptics and Set-Ups from now on Tom, well pleased for others but my Kids are safely at school, no major problems on the roads around here, just looks like a Wet Miserable Road Surface after some Overnight Rain. I have to stay at home today as C2C Are screwed with heavy Snow Nearer to London and not out in Essex :doh: Never heard it that way round before, A127 Down between Basildon and Upminster is a Nightmare, and C London sounds like a Mare, so will have to write this day off LOL

Paul S

Posted

Had about 3 inches so far and it's still snowing..... both the school I work at and my son's upper school shut, daughters middle school is open - she's gone to school but is not happy, understandably, I am hoping they will send them home again soon because of the forecast for this afternoon... I hope so or she will make my life hell later!!! Teenagers eh!!!!

Posted

No major issues on Isle of Wight - roads are clear from Ryde to Cowes although some minor roads remain gritted but passable with care - bit of a non-event really - colleagues on mainland report Portsmouth fine and several have driven in from outskirts of Southampton with no drama - sun is now shining here!

Not so much snow as a very hard frost

Posted

What do you rate my chances of seeing some of the snow in that mass over france?? Am hoping its good for some reason even though i dont normally like snow!!

Posted

Stayed up all night here as well, ended up with 2 inches which has made it worth it but the main reason is these historic events (which is what this will end up being I suspect for the London region) don't come about all that often even in the cold winters of the past.

I'd fully expect the front to dump yet another 3-5 inches of snow so some areas will be pushing 20 inches when all is said and done, which is amazing!

Posted

Thinking about giving Up looking at Synoptics and Set-Ups from now on Tom, well pleased for others but my Kids are safely at school, no major problems on the roads around here, just looks like a Wet Miserable Road Surface after some Overnight Rain. I have to stay at home today as C2C Are screwed with heavy Snow Nearer to London and not out in Essex :doh: Never heard it that way round before, A127 Down between Basildon and Upminster is a Nightmare, and C London sounds like a Mare, so will have to write this day off LOL

Paul S

I'm still finding it hard to believe, with so many heavy snow showers you not getting one that at least gave a good covering, I really hope this band coming up from France delivers otherwise you might lose it completely!

Posted

Started snowing again about half an hour ago, to add to the 3 inches we had overnight. People ringing in saying that can't get to work from Brighton to Crawley, so I should imagine the A23 is pretty bad! :blush:

Posted

Paul S

Yeah I can imagine it would be terrible in western essex right now, whats more amazing is I've probably ended up with more snow overnight then you despite a powerful thames snow streamer!

Posted

Quick note from Epping just inside SW Essex at the eastern end of the central line.

Still heavy snow ongoing at the moment, about 6 inches at the moment. Completely unprecedented overnight and ongoing conditions.

Posted

Its still snowing here in Guildford and we have about a foot it is absolutley incredible and just think theres more to come!!

Edited by PhilM

Posted

The snow in the SE is just intensifying.........simply amazing :blush:

Posted
I'm still finding it hard to believe, with so many heavy snow showers you not getting one that at least gave a good covering, I really hope this band coming up from France delivers otherwise you might lose it completely!

Like I said Nick I really am never going to expect things to go to plan ever again, and I am fully expecting Rain in a few hours, oh and it has just started snowing...........................Wait for It Polystyrine Friggin Balls Again :doh: :blush:

Paul S

Posted
Hope all of us in the east get to see the levels seen in London and the SE...8inches would be nice :blush:

i'd even like to see half the amounts,, my kids were so disappointed this morning ater seeing the grass still green- but their school has still closed ,as presumably the teachers couldn't get in !!!

Posted
The more technical will give you a better answer. Basically when winds become ENE in the Thames Estuary allied to very cold air moving over this area, of the sort we've had overnight, deep convection occurs. I also think the local topography of the Essex and Kent coastline gives additional lift to the air. If you look at a map of this area you'll note that the Essex coastline alligns NE to SW and the Kent coastline, more or less east/west. The coastlines narrow to about Southend over to Sheerness and this helps to funnel the snow showers WSW towards London, at the same time keeping the bitter air in contact with a source of moisture, i.e The Thames. This is why areas along the Thames corridor right into the heart of London have received such heavy snowfall and on over the West Kent and Surrey Downs. If the wind stays in this direction for any length of time the showers keep on coming and snow totals increase. The convection can become so deep that reports of thunder start coming in from those areas, as happened overnight.

I have received some of my best snowfall from these set-ups, as I have lived on the SE.London/NW.Kent borders all my life.

This certainly ranks up there as one of the best examples of a Thames Streamer that I've seen.

Still cant quite explain why Paul S. and others in the Southend/Leigh area have done so badly overnight. :D

Regards,

Tom.

thanks for the insightful response, loving the weather

Edited by sco77harris