Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch London, Se England & E Anglia

Posted
Not many people posting from Norwich last night and today. I would say the reason is: we've only had about half an inch! Main roads totally clear with a slight covering on the side roads.

Does anybody know why Eastern Norfolk is not having snow reach it? There is plenty of North Sea around us (is it that: we stick out into the relatively warm North Sea? Prob not otherwise we would be getting rain). Places just North of us seem to be catching it, places West getting something like a 'Wash Streamer', places South getting what look like good 'lake effect' type showers moving in from the North Sea, and London and S.E. getting battered by the Thames Streamer. But Norwich - the merest hint! We've got loads of distance across the North Sea from Holland / Denmark so why (next to) no snow?! :)

Mind you I suspect that within 5 hours or so we will be catching that blob moving up from France pretty bad! :)

By the way, been a lurker for about 3 years and love this site: learned so much from it. Well done to all experts, mods and support people that run this site!

Agree. A CM or two at most. Considering where we are, easterly etc I had expected more! Some people (me) are never pleased!

Can anyone alay our fears and confirm the best is to come for us Norfolk people who love snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

having to work from home here in ruislip west london snowed in...cant get out of the car park..hey ho :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
can someone explain to me how the thames streamer works?

The more technical will give you a better answer. Basically when winds become ENE in the Thames Estuary allied to very cold air moving over this area, of the sort we've had overnight, deep convection occurs. I also think the local topography of the Essex and Kent coastline gives additional lift to the air. If you look at a map of this area you'll note that the Essex coastline alligns NE to SW and the Kent coastline, more or less east/west. The coastlines narrow to about Southend over to Sheerness and this helps to funnel the snow showers WSW towards London, at the same time keeping the bitter air in contact with a source of moisture, i.e The Thames. This is why areas along the Thames corridor right into the heart of London have received such heavy snowfall and on over the West Kent and Surrey Downs. If the wind stays in this direction for any length of time the showers keep on coming and snow totals increase. The convection can become so deep that reports of thunder start coming in from those areas, as happened overnight.

I have received some of my best snowfall from these set-ups, as I have lived on the SE.London/NW.Kent borders all my life.

This certainly ranks up there as one of the best examples of a Thames Streamer that I've seen.

Still cant quite explain why Paul S. and others in the Southend/Leigh area have done so badly overnight. :)

Regards,

Tom.

Posted
wowwww

maybe another 15cm more on top of that later!!!

Sizzling is this low coming up from France likely to affect our area here in Poole. Im in Parkstone lol.

Posted
It just goes to show what can happen with the right synoptics and with more snow to come today this could go down as even better than 1991 in terms of snow depths. :)

Its already getting close to 91 levels here, i believe. if it breaks the 8 inch mark in the centre of town later today, it will be the most snow in London since 1963. :) when i believe they had 14 inches.

Posted
Sizzling is this low coming up from France likely to affect our area here in Poole. Im in Parkstone lol.

hope so but cant really see it unfortunately. was nice to see a cm or 2 this morning though unexpected!

Posted

Here are the latest pics. That Garden table has a flat surface...snow still falling

DSCF0216.jpg

DSCF0217.jpg

Posted

Huge flakes in Bushey and getting heavier. Snow on the steps in my garden must be pushing 30cm - I'll take some photos. The sky is extremely heavy and white, we are getting an absolute spanking here in Hertfordshire. Does anyone know what the likelihood is of even heavier snow for Herts when the main event kicks in later today?

Posted

Will the front moving up from france this afternoon be mainly snow or rain? where do you think the cut off line will be with regards to the warm sector?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

Well as the low, south over france is approaching i can say that it certainly is starting to produce more snow on the south coast, here in eastbourne there was no snow after about 9pm but started a few hours ago and you can clearly see on the radar an area of snow getting larger, and this is before the man area of precipitation due to hit in a few hours.

Posted
Will the front moving up from france this afternoon be mainly snow or rain? where do you think the cut off line will be with regards to the warm sector?

Away from the coasts the front will start, and remain as snow for the most part. Risk of turning sleety into Tuesday.

Posted

The first time in my working life snow has stopped me getting to my workplace!!! Many major routes now closed in Sussex and unfortunately that includes the ones that I could use! :doh:

www.bbc.co.uk/southerncounties/travel/daily reports sussex

Posted
Away from the coasts the front will start, and remain as snow for the most part. Risk of turning sleety into Tuesday.

Think you will find on the south coast it will stay as snow, the milder sector now far to the east and mainly 'mixed out' thankfully. looks like it will turn more sleety from tommorow tho.

Posted

Yeah away from the coast the frontal system should be all snow I'd have to imagine, very impressive set-up indeed, fair chance it will beat 1991 now, no doubts this is a memorable snowfall!

First signs of the front on the net weather radar now as well...

Posted
Gone over the 12" mark here in Ewell. Been under that streamer all night. Pics below were taken 90mins ago and it been snowing since and is still coming down now. Will go out and record depths later before the French lot arrives.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn261/j...os/DSCF0210.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn261/j...os/DSCF0212.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn261/j...os/DSCF0213.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn261/j...os/DSCF0214.jpg

Fantastic pictures, thank you. I'm in Tonbridge West Kent, unfortunately this time we have missed most of the heavy snow streamers, only ended-up with about 2 inches.

However, I remember January 1987, I lived in Westerham, Kent and we caught a spectacular snow streamer off the Thames estuary, we had virtually non-stop heavy snow all night long and accumulated about 18 inches of level powdery snow, some drifts were about 6 feet deep! I never thought we would see the same in this area again because of all global warming!

Posted
Its certainly going to match 1991 Nick thats for sure, heavy snow still falling in the London/Home Counties region, just waiting to see whether the small region of snow in Kent can spread westwards.

Thats good news, I'm really happy to see my old neck of the woods finally get a snow event to remember. :doh: The real interest will be now on how much can fall out of that band coming out of France.

Posted

Looks like we missed the best of the snow overnight here in Horsham with approx 1 - 2 inches laying at present. Snowing lightly again now, but all eyes to the SE for the main event. Looks like we should be in the firing line for that one and it will absolutely cripple the travel networks which are already on their knees this morning judging by the news and reports on here...!

:doh:

Posted
Think you will find on the south coast it will stay as snow, the milder sector now far to the east and mainly 'mixed out' thankfully. looks like it will turn more sleety from tommorow tho.

Just seen ya, hello coasty!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

TEITS, great to hear from you mate.

I'm sure you're get a good dumping later on.The scenes in the London area are amazing this morning. Yes, I think we should start an appreciation Society for the easterly/ Scandinavan High. Also, I hope people understand why some of us go on about the Thames Streamer so much, certainly was a beauty last night.

Regards,

Tom.