Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
This is bizzare isn't it, I have had light snow for about 2 hours or so and the radar looks like it's still light but for some reason it's turned moderate with proper flakes falling now. It must be pepping up but the radar doesen't suggest it is lol.

Sounds good to me :) (as in I agree with what you said)

I agree. Still snowing here quite heavily (although smaller flakes) but still when cars go along the roads and make tracks, they get covered again. Radar isn't really showing much, except for the odd flurries for me so im sure it must be doing something wrong.

Posted
What you are seeing is correct, it is pivoting but it will stay in that sort of area in Wales pretty much all night, it's highly unlikely that it will come back on itself and reach Birmingham, it might reach Gloucestershire but not as far West as Brum.

Yes looks like like the borders is where it`ll be reaching to into shropshire,with the wrap around.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/brack0.gif

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_12_UTC/24_30.gif

Snow is still hanging on here as that dry slot comes closer on the radar.

There must be another band of snow coming west with that low as there doesn`t look to be much further east of here at the moment.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
What the hell?

Local radios are still saying the worst snow is to come through the night?!

Do they know something we dont or are they talking rubbish? :)

Maybe something like this gonna happen lol:

"Occasionally, cyclogenesis will re-occur with occluded cyclones. When this happens a new low center will form on the triple-point (the point where the cold front, warm front, and occluded front meet). During triple-point cyclogenesis, the occluded parent low will fill as the secondary low deepens into the main weathermaker."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclogenesis

I got excited by the comma shape at 21:30 at

http://www.meteociel.fr/accueil/radar.php

but 21:45 not so good. Anyway, who knows? (Not me lol!)

Posted

Hey guys does anybody think there will be any snow over shropshire tonight. I work in a college in Telford and would like to no if i might have the day off tomorrow? lol :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

definitely a streamer of precip heading up from the SE circulating around the low, also wraparound snow over somerset is slowly gaining intensity..

post-4149-1233609208_thumb.png

GFS is progging it as sleet, as dewpoints are rising a point or two

post-4149-1233609153_thumb.png

Posted

i cant quite make out what is falling here! thought it was snow at first! i have no thermometer but it is very wet out here and i think it is sleet maybe rain? :doh::wallbash:

Posted
Hey guys does anybody think there will be any snow over shropshire tonight. I work in a college in Telford and would like to no if i might have the day off tomorrow? lol :D

College staff usually have to go in unless its very bad. So I can tell you youll probably be there sadly.

i cant quite make out what is falling here! thought it was snow at first! i have no thermometer but it is very wet out here and i think it is sleet maybe rain? :doh::wallbash:

Yep, looks like sleet/rain here too!

Edited by WestMidlandsWeather

Posted
Hey guys does anybody think there will be any snow over shropshire tonight. I work in a college in Telford and would like to no if i might have the day off tomorrow? lol :D

There must be some more to come I would`ve thought perhaps it`ll pep up as the low comes west.

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_12_UTC/06_30.gif

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_12_UTC/12_30.gif

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_12_UTC/18_30.gif

Temps here are higher than they`ve been all day at -1.2c still with light snow.

Upper air temps are rising to -5/-6c then dropping to -9c later in the night coming back in from the south as the N england are -4 -3c right by the east coast.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Check out http://www.meteociel.fr/accueil/radar.php the little area of PPN to east of us has turned into a monster shape at 22:00 CET lol!

It's -1.7C with 100% humidity here. If only the winds were to spin the right way, this air over us could produce huge amounts of snow, with no need to import any more PPN from France.

Tiny snow grains here at the moment, probably "under the radar"...... could this be building up to something special lol

Posted
Check out http://www.meteociel.fr/accueil/radar.php the little area of PPN to east of us has turned into a monster shape at 22:00 CET lol!

It's -1.7C with 100% humidity here. If only the winds were to spin the right way, this air over us could produce huge amounts of snow, with no need to import any more PPN from France.

Tiny snow grains here at the moment, probably "under the radar"...... could this be building up to something special lol

possibly, but probably not.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
College staff usually have to go in unless its very bad. So I can tell you youll probably be there sadly.

Yep, looks like sleet/rain here too!

Light drizzle here now...temps are 0.6C with a dewpoint of 0.5C, this is not good on two fronts...firstly no snow (obviously...lol) and secondly a slow thaw, as per whats currently happening at my location, this is bad as ground temps will drop off below freezing later on in the night, thus ice and trecherous roads by morning :D

Posted
Still snow here.

poor show from rob. snow on thursday? very unlikely, just messy in the southeast. looks like thats our lot folks. id love nothing more than to be proved wrong, but rob didnt seem too excited.

Posted

Is it possible for the snow currently SW of Oxford to pivot up back into the midlands to give more accumulation? B)

Edited by JamieUK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
poor show from rob. snow on thursday? very unlikely, just messy in the southeast. looks like thats our lot folks. id love nothing more than to be proved wrong, but rob didnt seem too excited.

im just not on to thursdays snow at all wont happen sadly

Posted

all i can say is, im highly grateful for what i had today. snow on and off, school cancelled halfway through day, then sledging this afternoon and a snowball fight with friends. sadly though, the biscay low on thursday and friday just doesnt want to push far enough north, and looks restricted to the south, with probably only sleet there. sadly, thats the british weather for you, and in a way it makes you grateful for what you get, because if it occurred more, schools would adapt, and you'd probably be sick of sledging after a while. i think many prefer it this way.

Posted
Light drizzle here now

Still proper snowing here.

I wish it would thaw, as I had to leave my car in the road,

as when I tried to park on the driveway it just slid off by itself when all the brakes were on due to the ice and snow.

Posted
all i can say is, im highly grateful for what i had today. snow on and off, school cancelled halfway through day, then sledging this afternoon and a snowball fight with friends. sadly though, the biscay low on thursday and friday just doesnt want to push far enough north, and looks restricted to the south, with probably only sleet there. sadly, thats the british weather for you, and in a way it makes you grateful for what you get, because if it occurred more, schools would adapt, and you'd probably be sick of sledging after a while. i think many prefer it this way.

Hit the nail on the head there lol, i love the changes of British Weather :rolleyes:

Could do with more THUNDERSTORMS during summer though.

How come alot of the precipotation has turned to sleet, wasn't forecast that way was it??

Edited by JamieUK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Yep this looks like our lot. What looked great for the rest of the week has suddenly gone but today was great. :rolleyes:

Posted

Good evening snow lovers everywhere. :D

A very interesting day but was a bit disappointed with the main snow band which lasted all of about 3 hours here in Solihull. Still snowing even now as I type but it's that kind of super fine snow that would take 3 continuous months of falling to put down even a centimetre.

A couple of pics from today...

Front and rear views respectively from my home. :D

{Edit} : Had about 3 inches of snow in all.

Phil.

post-8209-1233611710_thumb.jpg

post-8209-1233611735_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil UK

Posted
hi everyone any chance of snow in brum tonight?

no chance im afraid! it's thawing now as temperature is rising!

we r getting sleet/rain around the area now sadly :D