Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
20:00 Radar update looks like I, in North Birmingham, may be in for some prolonged snowfall :D

Its been moderate for about 10 minutes so far. Im just in the right place I think!

why are so many schools closed tomorrow? the forecast is for mainly dry weather. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Its still snowing slightly but the dewpoints are getting dangerously close to positive figures...getting rather marginal......dewponts will drop again in the early hours, by that time though, any snowfall would have probably passed to the north of our region

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
why are so many schools closed tomorrow? the forecast is for mainly dry weather. :D

Probably due to the shear amount that is on the ground and ice expected to form tonight.

I would expect schools to be open on Wednesday but Thursday could see things shut again due to more Heavy Snow expected.

Posted

As they said, its mainly because of the amount on the ground and because alot of it is turning to ice which will make driving conditions VERY unsafe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Probably because yesterday the teachers took one look at the media weather forecasts and buggered off to the saychelles for a week of 'teacher training'.....lol

Posted

ok aj or andy can you explain something to me please as you know im still learning, on the netweather radar the precip at the s/w well that looks like its privoting and the main band that went through us looks like its meeting the one in wales and comming back up am i reading this wrong

thank you in advance

cher

x

Posted
Probably because yesterday the teachers took one look at the media weather forecasts and buggered off to the saychelles for a week of 'teacher training'.....lol

true, no warning from the met office though. mind you, it usually seems to be the case that its always worse when theres no warning out. sure, look at how light the precipitation is over the pennines tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
ok aj or andy can you explain something to me please as you know im still learning, on the netweather radar the precip at the s/w well that looks like its privoting and the main band that went through us looks like its meeting the one in wales and comming back up am i reading this wrong

thank you in advance

cher

x

What you are seeing is correct, it is pivoting but it will stay in that sort of area in Wales pretty much all night, it's highly unlikely that it will come back on itself and reach Birmingham, it might reach Gloucestershire but not as far West as Brum.

Posted

thank you in advance

cher

x

I understand where your coming from, I suppose we will have to wait. Maybe thats what the radio ment by later in the night we could expect 30cm? Who knows! Not that I expect 30cm.. But yes, I certainly see where your coming from.

My guess is itll be dragged down through South England and out again, but im no expert at all!!! This is just guessing by me.

Posted
What you are seeing is correct, it is pivoting but it will stay in that sort of area in Wales pretty much all night, it's highly unlikely that it will come back on itself and reach Birmingham, it might reach Gloucestershire but not as far West as Brum.

wow i feel proud of myself for figuring it out lol thank you for repling so quick

cher

x

Posted
I understand where your coming from, I suppose we will have to wait. Maybe thats what the radio ment by later in the night we could expect 30cm? Who knows! Not that I expect 30cm.. But yes, I certainly see where your coming from.

My guess is itll be dragged down through South England and out again, but im no expert at all!!! This is just guessing by me.

highly unlikely. thats ridiculous, 30cm is out of the question mate.

Posted

thank you for replying so quick with you as teachers i will be well away lol

cher

x

Posted

Phew what a day! Went out to build a snowman at around 4.30 pm it it was snowing heavily until 6.30 pm when it finally stopped. I have now got between 3 and 3.5 inches on the grass and a drift against the wall is something like 7 inches! Snowing lightly again now but temps are creeping up! :( currently -0.3C but no sign of a thaw as yet.

When are the temps going to go down. The bbc was talking about -3 C tonight?

Anyway a few pics...

post-8119-1233607315_thumb.jpgpost-8119-1233607438_thumb.jpgpost-8119-1233607508_thumb.jpgpost-8119-1233607620_thumb.jpg

Edited by Albion Snowman

Posted

I'd given up on more snow for tonight, but just returned for another check on radars just in case. And it's interesting. There's something about the way the PPN is pepping up to SE of us - I wouldn't rule out a little bit more after all..............

http://www.meteociel.fr/accueil/radar.php (scroll down to animation)

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Posted

Andy's answer is bang on the mark....he's more knowledgable than me, but I try and interpret what he's seeing

.....Winds blow anti-clockwise around a LP centre so as the LP centre tracks NW'erly its dragging precip around its periphary in a anti clockwise direction...The LP has gained a bit of energy as it passed over the English Channel, but I should imagine it will fill a bit as it moves NNW...Whats over the Blackdown Hills in Somerset presently will probably pivot to the east, north east and then eventually North westerly, fizzling out as it does.........erm, I think!

I did try posting a still from the NW radar showing presuure gradients, lower and upper winds to illustrate this, but my computers having none of it!

post-4149-1233607818_thumb.png

post-4149-1233608143_thumb.png

Posted
Andy's answer is bang on the mark....he's more knowledgable than me, but I try and interpret what he's seeing

.....Winds blow anti-clockwise around a LP centre so as the LP centre tracks NW'erly its dragging precip around its periphary in a anti clockwise direction...The LP has gained a bit of energy as it passed over the English Channel, but I should imagine it will fill a bit as it moves NNW...Whats over the Blackdown Hills in Somerset presently will probably pivot to the east, north east and then eventually North westerly, fizzling out as it does.........erm, I think!

I did try posting a still from the NW radar showing presuure gradients, lower and upper winds to illustrate this, but my computers having none of it!

thank you so much for replying

cher

x

Posted
I'd given up on more snow for tonight, but just returned for another check on radars just in case. And it's interesting. There's something about the way the PPN is pepping up to SE of us - I wouldn't rule out a little bit more after all..............

http://www.meteociel.fr/accueil/radar.php (scroll down to animation)

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Well done, looks like it may bring something, not sure on North Birmingham though where I am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Still snowing here in Rugby.

Seems to be getting heavier.

This is bizzare isn't it, I have had light snow for about 2 hours or so and the radar looks like it's still light but for some reason it's turned moderate with proper flakes falling now. It must be pepping up but the radar doesen't suggest it is lol.

Sounds good to me :lol: (as in I agree with what you said)

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted
still snowing but temp getting higher 0.5C now, maybe that sleet is on the way

no ramp from rob about thursday, maybe we're ahead of the game, but he thinks a bit of sleet for the southeast. ill check up on weatherview.