Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Cymru And South West England

Posted

Wales & the Southwest are sat directly underneath a low pressure system so it's expected that the anticlockwise spiralling movements of ppn will continue.

Personally, I didn't expect the ppn to be so long-lasting and persistent.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Not spirally much here either, infact from the meteox rainfall radar Devon appears to be clear, with ppn all around us... go figure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!
It seems like that system is spiralling round the south west!?

Yeah, it's spiralling right around my house at the moment. :lol:

Posted
Are the showers not really light there at the moment? You could see some more later but the main lot just passed you

No they are quire heavy, not meaga heavy but certainly not as light as they were this afternoon. I have a bit of elevation so this may help but the mountain behind me is still engulfed in dark clouds so it dont look like passing anytime soon.

Posted

nope it is just not making it across Exmoor and it seems to have shifted a bit so nothing reaching me at all now. It all around me but its not pushing down over me like i say due to the moors. So dont think im going to get anymoor here tonight ... Flipping hope im wrong though. :lol:

kaz x

Posted

If the latest 18z GFS charts are to be believed... There are plenty of marginal rain/sleet/snow events to come in the near future for Wales & the Southwest corner. Later Thurs into Friday. Then Saturday. And again later Sunday perhaps.

With each run the cold-spell seems to be dragged out a bit further.

But GFS does have a cold bias to it. Worth keeping an eye on what the FAX charts & UKMO come out with tomorrow morning.

Posted
Any news??

Yep WW, look as if you have some more to come, possibly an inch or two.

Lived in Cwnbran for a while when I worked at Glascoed. Had a great snowfall there, think it was 1987 - was booked in to going to nearby ski slope for a practice and couldn't make it because of the snow!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

dl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I noticed Wednesday showing as quite a mild day on the BBC forecast with 5-6C here in the southwest and rain pushing up from the south. However, Thursday, by the time the precipitation had got north the temp. would only be 2C and Rob McElwee said a wintry mix with some snowy graphics. Is this an upgrade or downgrade?

nice amount of snow here now, locally neally an inch. Wheres JACKONE this evening?

Just having a break for the computer this evening.

It stills seems to be snowing, with a complete covering on all surfaces difficult to tell depths but probably around 1 inch on paths, 2-3 inches on grass.

Could be a fair bit more according to the radar and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere any time soon either.

Posted

Michael Prys-Roberts...

I think it's just a neutral-grade; neither down or up.

Weds was always expected to be a couple of degrees milder - aiding a thaw, certainly in low-lying places. Again prone spots inland will hover near zero as always. I was quite surprised by the forecast night-time temps midweek.

The Meto aren't putting any huge detail on the developments for Thursday/Friday yet because they probably want to get all of today's & tomorrow's headaches out of the way first.

Warmer upper air is pushed further north on Weds and into Thurs with the low coming up from the South, soon met by a tasty northerly blasting it back down - so who knows what could happen on the northern edge of the weather fronts - or where that northern edge will be! Central Eng & Wales & hillier parts probably!

Edited by Rlt122

Posted

Snow has pepped up here as that dry slot has filled up :lol: ,very fine moderate snow now temps are creeping though -0.9c just as GFS progged.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Still snowing here, albeit very small flakes. Just taken a few pics in the garden

post-6280-1233615810_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1233615849_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1233615876_thumb.jpg

Posted

It's just started snowing again here (north-west Devon between Hatherleigh and Holsworthy). As this wrap around crosses back into north Devon and north Cornwall there could be some further big accumulations as the front stalls. PPN will have pepped up off the sea too, so looking quite good right now (fingers crossed).

Not sure how far inland this is going to make it though. It may stall at the foothills of Dartmoor on the north side.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
Michael Prys-Roberts...

I think it's just a neutral-grade; neither down or up.

Weds was always expected to be a couple of degrees milder - aiding a thaw, certainly in low-lying places. Again prone spots inland will hover near zero as always. I was quite surprised by the forecast night-time temps midweek.

The Meto aren't putting any huge detail on the developments for Thursday/Friday yet because they probably want to get all of today's & tomorrow's headaches out of the way first.

Colder upper air is pushed further north on Weds and into Thurs with the low coming up from the South, soon met by a tasty northerly blasting it back down - so who knows what could happen on the northern edge of the weather fronts - or where that northern edge will be! Central Eng & Wales & hillier parts probably!

Ye I guess so. Certainly very interesting and knife-edge over the next few days. I still can't believe 4C will be the minimum on Tuesday night after -4C tonight. The skies are clear as well so surely that is wrong. As you say though, one snow event is enough let alone trying to get to grips with the next potential one coming along.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

wow great pics there jethro

Posted
It's just started snowing again here (north-west Devon between Hatherleigh and Holsworthy). As this wrap around crosses back into north Devon and north Cornwall there could be some further big accumulations as the front stalls. PPN will have pepped up off the sea too, so looking quite good right now (fingers crossed).

Not sure how far inland this is going to make it though. It may stall at the foothills of Dartmoor on the north side.

i'm on earlies tomorrow in work and it is going to be fun driving to work tomorrow if at all lol

heavy snow here in cardiff, bring it on B) B) :lol: :lol:

taken the car out already playing it is like a icerink , got stuck earlier but got out

cheers

The Viking

Posted

I wouldn't envy being a Met Office forecaster this week.

It was anticipated just 36-48 hours ago that the cold spell would be leaving us later Fri into the weekend; then it was slowly extended through to Sat and Sun with a cold northerly. Now GFS is throwing up something a bit more snowy.

I think I'll trust the UKMO charts tomorrow morning over tonight's GFS. They *were* going for some biting temperatures across what would have been left of the snowfields on the weekend nights... down widely to -5/-6, locally minus double figures in Scotland.