Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: East Mids, Lincs And S & E Yorkshire

Posted
Im not expecting anything other than constant rain tonight.

To be honest i agree, it is a 50/50 thing at best, however its still good odds. but i suspect the hands will be revealed later this evening.

LO

Posted

No snow or rain here temp 3c, about 1inch of lying snow this morning but most of that has gone, plenty of snow over the Yorkshire Wolds.

Posted

Temperature of -0.4 here in SE Sheffield at 200m with light snow that has covered all surfaces, including the roads. I didn't think that it was meant to be this cold at this time? ... and aren't the thickness values and 850's supposed to become more favourable from about 9 o'clock too?

The band of intense ppn finally has started moving north eastwards, hopefully I will see some slightly heavier ppn here by around midnight towards the early hours? Is this possible?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
Temperature of -0.4 here in SE Sheffield at 200m with light snow that has covered all surfaces, including the roads. I didn't think that it was meant to be this cold at this time? ... and aren't the thickness values and 850's supposed to become more favourable from about 9 o'clock too?

The band of intense ppn finally has started moving north eastwards, hopefully I will see some slightly heavier ppn here by around midnight towards the early hours? Is this possible?

Doesn't be playing by the book at the mo does it. Snow certainly getting heavier see it quite clearly under the lamp post at the bottom of our garden now.

Netweather extra Showing sleet for us on the radar. Hardly ever right these days but now making up for earlier on this winter when it showed snow when it was rain.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

According to the updated NMM model its meant to get more marginal, then again the dew point is meant to be 2.2c when in actual fact its exactly 0c and is still dropping ever so slowly. Best thing to do now is watch the radar and the all important temp

Edited by mark bayley

Posted
According to the updated NMM model its meant to get more marginal, then again the dew point is meant to be 2.2c when in actual fact its exactly 0c and is still dropping ever so slowly. Best thing to do now is watch the radar and the all important temp

Dewpoint -1c here fell away suddenly just before the wind switched direction. Guess it's colder air feeding down from the North???

Posted
Doesn't be playing by the book at the mo does it. Snow certainly getting heavier see it quite clearly under the lamp post at the bottom of our garden now.

No it does not, I think that perhaps that little low that appeared on the south coast earlier may have reduced the warm air advection brought in by the low and allowing the colder uppers to remain intact. I thought things were a little strange when at 5 o'clock the temperatures hit 0.

Still, lets not get out hopes up too much but things could look good for this evening.

I think our snow shield must be out for repair at the moment ! :)

Posted

I think they're working on version two at the moment.

Posted
No it does not, I think that perhaps that little low that appeared on the south coast earlier may have reduced the warm air advection brought in by the low and allowing the colder uppers to remain intact. I thought things were a little strange when at 5 o'clock the temperatures hit 0.

Still, lets not get out hopes up too much but things could look good for this evening.

Don't jinx it!

Nice dusting everywhere now

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

Just checked the NMM model and it looks to me that the most marginal time for snow has passed, the highest 850's and thicknesses were between about 6pm and 7pm, which has obviously passed, and both the 850's and thicknesses decline from then throughout the night.

Posted

melting now, drip drip drip noise which I hate.

Are we expected to get anything more tonight, also mods, can we have a new topic, we seem to be neglected in the yorkshire one.

Posted
Don't jinx it!

Nice dusting everywhere now

struggling to settle here as its a little more wet. ah well :rolleyes:

Posted
Just checked the NMM model and it looks to me that the most marginal time for snow has passed, the highest 850's and thicknesses were between about 6pm and 7pm, which has obviously passed, and both the 850's and thicknesses decline from then throughout the night.

The updated next 48 hour forecast showed the dew point rising through the night and peaking about midnight. This is taken from the NMM model. As i said though its supposed to be 2.2c dew point now when in actual fact 0c. I'm just hoping we get something a little heavier later as at the moment its just going to be a sugar dust coating. Not complaining though considering i was expecting mostly rain tonight.

Posted
hahaha thats amazing!!!! its 0.5c here!

Raining here, it was snowing but the sugar dusting seems to have melted. I presume there is some warmer air mixing in somewhere along the line

Posted
The updated next 48 hour forecast showed the dew point rising through the night and peaking about midnight. This is taken from the NMM model. As i said though its supposed to be 2.2c dew point now when in actual fact 0c. I'm just hoping we get something a little heavier later as at the moment its just going to be a sugar dust coating. Not complaining though considering i was expecting mostly rain tonight.

Sorry, my mistake, I didn't check the dewpoints ! I'm presuming mine must be around -1 at the moment with a temperature of -0.3. Hopefully because I have a tiny bit of altitude, I might just be able to stave away the effects of the rising dew points, even when they peak.

Do you think that is possible or as the charts are already wrong that it could look a little more hopeful of the dp's staying low enough?

Posted
Sorry, my mistake, I didn't check the dewpoints ! I'm presuming mine must be around -1 at the moment with a temperature of -0.3. Hopefully because I have a tiny bit of altitude, I might just be able to stave away the effects of the rising dew points, even when they peak.

Do you think that is possible or as the charts are already wrong that it could look a little more hopeful of the dp's staying low enough?

I think you should be ok, they might rise a bit however im hopfull that we should be ok tonight. Hight will really help. Will just have to watch the radar and the temps overnight.

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

In Beeston Rylands Nottingham

2 °C

Light Rain

Windchill: -1 °C

Humidity: 90%

Dew Point: 1 °C

Wind: 12 km/hfrom the North

Wind Gust: 17 km/h

Pressure: 987.4 hPa (Steady)

Visibility: 7.0 kilometers