Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
Oh, and is the precip moving north along the West mids and wales and then being blown east to properly affect Oxford/Reading/Bucks etc , and THEN moving back to the south east and leaving late Friday afternoon, thats how i work it out from the way it is travelling now.... :rolleyes:

Not looking too far off the mark there mate

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

Well I've just watched the BBC forecast and for it to be correct, the band needs to stop now, and move almost directly E.

Posted
Well my latest study of the radar for both the uk and then from europe as well ,its coming for us , the heavier/bigger band goes west of us , maybe east wales but remember that at some point its gonna be doing 1 of 2, stalling over us cause it will not march into north wales as the artic air is digging in , which is good news for prolonged snowfall, or reaching us then sweeping east like its meant to be doin , sending all the ppn that will be on the western flank of it over us as it moves east , i personaly think its looking rather good for us mad snow lovers!!!!!!!!! maybe its drawn to all the love we have for it haha :rolleyes:

Not a chance Im afraid, I cant see it getting within 50 miles of Brum. Its pretty much stopped going North already, and will just drift Easrwards from now on.

Oh well, at least its something to watch.

Posted

Ok!

Shefali Oza. (BBC Midlands Today)

"Ice the problem, but snow for the south Midlands, Cotswolds, and Gloucestershire - 2 to 5cm and rural areas up to 10cm".

Emma Jesson. (ITV Central News)

Ice, snow flurries pushing into the south of the region at around 05:00am but clearing to leave a dry and sunny day.

I don't trust either of them personally. When Central News said that it could be twice as bad on their late night bulletin on Wednesday. I was full of hope. :rolleyes:

Instead, we get 1 inch!

On Monday afternoon we got 3 inches. in less than 3 hours.

I hate the media!

Phil.

Posted

You know, I'm beginning to become wary of the chances of this front reaching the Mids, I suspect as it hits the more intense Northerly it will stop it in it's tracks, just watched the BBC Weather Forecast and I can not believe they would get this so wrong given there is only a few hours to go?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
Does the metoffice not update their rainfall forecasts? BBC forecast snow right over my area, slap bang in the middle of it, but yet the metoffice are saying sleet AND the precip on the chart is way way south from me, maybe just along the M4 corridor....

The 10.35pm forcast has put all the snow much further west then 12 hrs ago

Afraid a non event for London and the South east

For our locations much better and similar to last night (had 6 inches) just going to arrive a few hours later

Max north extent appear to be cira 30 miles south of Birmingham

I note temp up from 0c to 0.7c here but it flucuates, i think it was -0.7c here this time last night so minor concern

Edited by stewfox

Posted

I dont get what the wind vectors are on the netweather radar.....im guessing it's the 700 and 850hpa we look at? The 700hpa bring the front North and NW and the 850hpa bring the front north westwards ish...?

Posted

the gfs has been showing on every run today that this precipitation will be further north/west than the bbc so for an idea of its track it may be worth a glance. it never really was a snow event for the SE

Posted

I don't think it has quite stalled yet, there no let up in the progress there in the last hour or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather

Flash Warning for Heavy Snow issued for southern counties of the West Midlands. At least someone in Exeter is looking out the window/ at a radar return or the last ECM output.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Might get a flurry or 2 up here, but nowt much me thinks.....Gfs shows the LP centre track slowly north-eastwards for a few hours, then east, and then meander south-eastwards away from the UK into the near continent.....The FAX chart concurs with this.....Gloucestershire/oxfordhsire looks good, maybe parts of worcestshire & northants too....Just an educated guess

Posted
Flash Warning for Heavy Snow issued for southern counties of the West Midlands. At least someone in Exeter is looking out the window/ at a radar return or the last ECM output.

here it comes :crazy:

Posted
Its stalled in the Bristol channel, I fear its over..

I think you may be right (sad to say!) WMW. Hardly budged in the last hour. It's a very fine line looking at the MO radar and combine with the IR satellite images. Is it me or is there some sort of contradiction where PPN is falling (radar) and what the cloud level suggests (IR satellite imagery. The brighter, the more chance of PPN over any given area).

OI BRISTOL!! STOP NICKING OUR SNOW!! :crazy:

That said, current temp here in north Solihull is 1ºc

DP = 0ºc

Humidity = 93%

Seems like a bit of a fine line between snow, or rain, sleet and snow if the DP rises IF the front makes it this far north.

Hmm!

Phil.

Posted

Breaking news on the BBC News channel

100 motorists stuck in "heavy and sudden snow" on A38 near Exeter

Can see it clearly on the radar; some intense looking cells around that area.

Posted
I think you may be right (sad to say!) WMW. Hardly budged in the last hour. It's a very fine line looking at the MO radar and combine with the IR satellite images. Is it me or is there some sort of contradiction where PPN is falling (radar) and what the cloud level suggests (IR satellite imagery. The brighter, the more chance of PPN over any given area).

OI BRISTOL!! STOP NICKING OUR SNOW!! :D

That said, current temp here in north Solihull is 1ºc

DP = 0ºc

Humidity = 93%

Seems like a bit of a fine line between snow, or rain, sleet and snow if the DP rises IF the front makes it this far north.

Hmm!

Phil.

Looks like we may just have to wait..I for one am not staying up! If I have college tomorrow ill be dead as it is!

Phil, you will know wont you..

Are we classed as South or North Midlands?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Its still got some Northerly Movement. :D

Posted
Not sure if im classed as a Southern County of West Midlands..

Im in Walsall, google map search it. We're a difficult one..

Not really. Herefordshire Worcestershire and Warwichshire would be south. We would be Central

Edited by At least it will be mild