Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
The Radar shows precpitation not being light. Moderate to Heavy for much of it at the moment. Obviosuly it will lose a bit of intensity by the time it gets here. This is for the West Midlands. The East Midlands doesnt look likely to get anything at the moment. :lol:

But isn't it meant to turn more easterly and head for London?

Posted
The Radar shows precpitation not being light. Moderate to Heavy for much of it at the moment. Obviosuly it will lose a bit of intensity by the time it gets here. This is for the West Midlands. The East Midlands doesnt look likely to get anything at the moment. :D

i appreciate the fact the precipitation is not light, but i think, as you say, a fair amount of the intensity will be lost. the fact is it is stretching out somewhat and is unlikely to keep on the path we want it to keep on.

Edited by azores92

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
I have been watching this with intrest and Im so convinced at the moment this is not hitting south east but the central wales areas

cher

x

I agree to a point, The western flank is moving northwards, but how far north will it go?.....The LP looks like it slide slowly east, dragging its accluded front with it....So I guess thats it all down to its northern extent ovenight

Posted
Can anyone in the Northampton area help? I am supposed to be taking my daughter to Northampton Uni tomorrow for a "taster" course which starts at 11am. I know the Uni was shut today but what are conditions like now and IF you get no more snow what are the chances of it being open tomorrow? (Their web site merely states it will give an update at 8am tomorrow but i would like to leave Maidstone before then) It may be that the route between Mstne & N'hmptn may be "difficult" anyway.

Thanks

Chris

My wife works at the uni of northampton. it's been shut all day mate.

if we get another heavy snowfall tonight/ tomorrow. i'd would not bother making the journey. it will be shut.

The uni is situated in one of the higher parts of n'pton. no cars could get up the hill this morning.

Edited by Lancs_Northants

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
I have been watching this with intrest and Im so convinced at the moment this is not hitting south east but the central wales areas

cher

x

I agree to a point, The western flank is moving northwards, but how far north will it go?.....The LP looks like it slide slowly east, dragging its accluded front with it....So I guess thats it all down to its northern extent ovenight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

my temp is 1.5oC i feel if i get anything it will be sleet or rain, showers due from the NW after midnight, i may see a further covering but temp is high

Posted
seriously blizzards i wouldnt be holding out too much hope. to me just looks like a cm or two.

Are we looking at the same radar??

On the NW one there's a hell of a lot of activity pouring into the south-western corner, especially around the Somerset area with some very bright radar returns in the mix.

Looking good to me so far :D

Posted

I think this might take us all by surprise to tell you the truth and go a lot further north than expected

cher

x

Posted
Are we looking at the same radar??

On the NW one there's a hell of a lot of activity pouring into the south-western corner, especially around the Somerset area with some very bright radar returns in the mix.

Looking good to me so far :D

yes but you expect it to lose some intenseity and its also stretched out not compacted thats what i think he was trying to explain to you im sorry if im wrong

cher

x

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
Heavy Snow seems to be on its way according to the radar. If it holds it intensity as much as possible it could be Very Heavy.

I can guarantee it will begin to fizzle. Some heavy-ish snow possible, but it is almost certain to lose intensity as it crosses land.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
I can guarantee it will begin to fizzle. Some heavy-ish snow possible, but it is almost certain to lose intensity as it crosses land.

Yep but it should be better than the endless tiny flakes we had most of the day! :D

Posted

cher and yeti have put it perfectly. this band just doesnt have the strength imo.

Posted

Everyone get your hoovers out and face south :D

That should be enough to drag it up.

0.0c here now so if anything reaches here it will settle immediately.

Posted
yes but you expect it to lose some intenseity and its also stretched out not compacted thats what i think he was trying to explain to you im sorry if im wrong

cher

x

Yeah, can't argue with that. It's not going to be a repeat of yesterday sadly!

Snowing in Taunton, Somerset by the looks of it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/somerset/content/webc...ge_webcam.shtml

:)

Posted
Yep but it should be better than the endless tiny flakes we had most of the day! :)

True. You do look to be in quite a good position at the moment Blizzards. It's not often you hear me say that is it. Smoke on Trent also at a high risk.

Posted

Evening snow watchers.

Just thinking about this behemoth coming up from the SW. Looks favourable for the West Midlands and seeing as the PPN over the Irish Sea/West Wales hasn't moved much, if at all but looks to be slowly decaying. Could be another night for snow watchers. (Not me this time. I do need my reasonable hours of Zzzz's but then you never know. :lol: )

If the MO radar isn't as out of sync as it was last night then I think if this is going to take off then I'm looking at around midnight/01:00am before it makes its way into the Solihull/Birmingham area.

And a couple of night-time pics from the snowfall in the early hours this morning I thought I'd throw into the pot. :)

Both views from the front of my home at some stupid hour of the morning. But worth it!

Phil.

post-8209-1233870857_thumb.jpg

post-8209-1233870936_thumb.jpg

Posted

Evening everyone.

For once I'm hoping the snow doesn't arrive because I have to make a return drive to Heathrow - setting off at 6 a.m.

Currently there is snow on the ground - 2-3 inches on grass and slushy rubbish everywhere else.

Temperature has been holding at +0.8 for most of the evening. Dew point has been steadily rising and now sits squarely on 0 degrees.

Posted

Pig sick, teeming with rain here again on the south coast in poole, every time snow is forecast I here those dreaded words snow away from coasts. When ever are we gonna get something for the kids except for the pathetic one inch on Tuesday. Anyway good luck to all north of us who are probably in for a pasting. Not saying im jealous but when you flood down here in the summer to thaw out im gonna make sure your space on the beach is taken lol.

Posted

fingers crossed for a good dose of snow in the midlands, a nice top-up would go down well. :lol:

fingers crossed for a good dose of snow in the midlands, a nice top-up would go down well. :)

i was optimistic, but then gord on ukww said paul blight has been monitoring this bands every step and things look poor from now on in the midlands.

Posted

God love the BBC... last night they said we could get a covering, maybe 5cm (we had nearly 20cm here in Northants) and tonight they say mostly cloudy and maybe a light snow flurry in the early hours... hmm well see :)

Posted
Evening snow watchers.

Just thinking about this behemoth coming up from the SW. Looks favourable for the West Midlands and seeing as the PPN over the Irish Sea/West Wales hasn't moved much, if at all but looks to be slowly decaying. Could be another night for snow watchers. (Not me this time. I do need my reasonable hours of Zzzz's but then you never know. :lol: )

If the MO radar isn't as out of sync as it was last night then I think if this is going to take off then I'm looking at around midnight/01:00am before it makes its way into the Solihull/Birmingham area.

And a couple of night-time pics from the snowfall in the early hours this morning I thought I'd throw into the pot. :)

Both views from the front of my home at some stupid hour of the morning. But worth it!

Phil.

Im near Solihull, you think we could get alot? Or just as dusting, I havent been watching this one so sorry for the questions everyone!