Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Cymru And South West England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!
Must be the worst place in Dorset,all week the really good snowfall has been 10-20 miles to my west,north or east although have been up in the hills where it is pretty thick but for bridport crap,crap,crap :cray:

Repeat, and replace Bridport with Yeovil (apart from Monday night though :) )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
Great piccies there mullender, looks like an awesome amount of snow. There's sure to be loads up on the Mendips at the moment.

The snow is laying around 2 feet thick in field ect where we had snow through the week, we have just never had a thaw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
Repeat, and replace Bridport with Yeovil (apart from Monday night though :) )

Please except my apologies Mark :) Yeovil is usually quite good I thought,my Aunty used to live

there and often phoned when i was a kid to say they had snow when we had rain! GW maybe :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: early spring, warm summers and cold winters

I haven't seen snow like this down here for donkey years, coming down harder than ever........only problem is it sounds like lots of people are getting stranded.

Posted

:D snow? snow? someone mention snow? why has it been snowing? :D .... beautiful sunny day here temps are up to 6c now..

so my next question will be ...................... is that it now? anything on the horizon?

I can see snow over on the moors but all we got was heavy sleet..

lol kaz xx

Posted

Westbury is right on the very tip of the heavier snow affecting South Wiltshire this afternoon with large flakes drifting down for the last hour, I reckon it must be coming down thickly again up on Salisbury Plain.

The morning had a mix of sleet/snow with moderate bursts at heaviest though they were exacerbated by a gusty wind at times. I keep thinking it;s briughtening up but really it's the snow causing the brightness :D as cloud is 8/8 right to the N/W horizon where any clearance will come from .

We had a fresh 3-4 inches last night so there is about 5 inches on the surfaces that didn't thaw right out yesterday, although funnily while it was falling this morning some was thawing too with the temperature haveing been between 0.4c and 1.2c all day.

3 major snow events in 5 days is truly incredible :D and falling snow on the first 6 days of February with maybe snow showers tomorrow! I actually feel like I've moved to a village in the lee of an Alpine resort such is the whiteness that's been there for 5/6 days now.

I notice the main BBC 13.30 forecast was fairly quiet about Sunday's front, while the local BBC forecast said nothing about Sunday!

Mullender, your pics have inspired me to want to know what it's like up on the hills around here, so I'm going to go and find out tomorrow :) .

Posted

From 9am this morning till 1.30pm we've had heavy snow. It didn't start to settle until 10.30am as the ground was so wet due to the rain overnight. This still managed to give us an accumulation of 2 inches. Wow. We've had a lot of road closures and I've had to brave the snow filled roads to pick up our kids from their schools as they were closed early. I offered to pick up quite a few from two schools in two journeys as I've got a 4x4, seeing the cars being towed and sliding all over the shot, I'm glad I had my little bus.

It's stopped for the time being and it's also melting pretty fast.

Posted
:D snow? snow? someone mention snow? why has it been snowing? :) .... beautiful sunny day here temps are up to 6c now..

so my next question will be ...................... is that it now? anything on the horizon?

I can see snow over on the moors but all we got was heavy sleet..

lol kaz xx

I think that is it til sunday which is a way of as yet. just the prospect of some severe frost over deep snow fields. i think i could see -10 over the 2 foot of snow cover?

Westbury is right on the very tip of the heavier snow affecting South Wiltshire this afternoon with large flakes drifting down for the last hour, I reckon it must be coming down thickly again up on Salisbury Plain.

The morning had a mix of sleet/snow with moderate bursts at heaviest though they were exacerbated by a gusty wind at times. I keep thinking it;s briughtening up but really it's the snow causing the brightness :D as cloud is 8/8 right to the N/W horizon where any clearance will come from .

We had a fresh 3-4 inches last night so there is about 5 inches on the surfaces that didn't thaw right out yesterday, although funnily while it was falling this morning some was thawing too with the temperature haveing been between 0.4c and 1.2c all day.

3 major snow events in 5 days is truly incredible :) and falling snow on the first 6 days of February with maybe snow showers tomorrow! I actually feel like I've moved to a village in the lee of an Alpine resort such is the whiteness that's been there for 5/6 days now.

I notice the main BBC 13.30 forecast was fairly quiet about Sunday's front, while the local BBC forecast said nothing about Sunday!

Mullender, your pics have inspired me to want to know what it's like up on the hills around here, so I'm going to go and find out tomorrow :) .

However i don't know bout anyone else but all this snow has not satified me i am greedy and would love to see/expect to see more sunday.

Posted

Well that's more like it!

Just picked up boy from school which has had to close early. Haven't seen snow like this for years down here on the coast. It's wet snow but it settling well. Been snowing hard now for over 2 hours. Already built a snowman as I would imagine when it stops it will melt quiet quick.

BTW it's absolute chaos out there at the mo, the roads are jammed and all you can here is the sound of police sirens.

Right, back out into the garden again! :D

Posted

Damit, that ppn is close. I can almost smell it.... almost!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Sun breaking thru down here, but no melt as yet, just the wind blowing large clumps of snow off the trees. Temperature is going to drop like a stone tonight!

Posted
Sun breaking thru down here, but no melt as yet, just the wind blowing large clumps of snow off the trees. Temperature is going to drop like a stone tonight!

Yes thats the next interesting thing. -10 i think could be quite possible on snow covered high ground. i shall keep updating temperature this evening

If we get more snow on sunday it could well fall on top of this lot because it wont thaw fast if we get some hard frosts

Posted
You got a radar image of that ppn?

Sssshhh, don't tell the mods.... :D

post-892-1233930598_thumb.jpg

It's not quite going to make it though. I've been in the white bits more than any other colour today :shok:

Posted

all clear now on most roads at low level..........Im sure country roads still impassible

that was a nice round 3....

Edited by dogs32

Posted
Sssshhh, don't tell the mods.... :D

post-892-1233930598_thumb.jpg

It's not quite going to make it though. I've been in the white bits more than any other colour today :shok:

Moving away from us now...<<<waiting on Sunday and Mondays events now... :D

Posted

Yes thats the next interesting thing. -10 i think could be quite possible on snow covered high ground. i shall keep updating temperature this evening

If we get more snow on sunday it could well fall on top of this lot because it wont thaw fast if we get some hard frosts

Posted

I'm absolutely amazed that the met office haven't got a severe weather warning out, conditions are horrendous if you're travelling.

Posted
I'm absolutely amazed that the met office haven't got a severe weather warning out, conditions are horrendous if you're travelling.

Maybe they feel so stupid for that boo boo last night they think that its easier to nowcast and just put a warning up once it has arived.

Also if it isnt the south east then your not important enough. :shok:

Yes and we are still totaly cut of from the outside world but no warning lol.

Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Where are you exactly if you dont mind me asking?

Posted

This front that's lingering bringing heavy snow to S.Wilts and Dorset is as a direct result of the whole system being 100-150 miles further West at the start last night.

By now, according to forecasts yesterday, it should have been clearing the far SE but it is still 100-150 miles further West!

Agonisingly close for further snowfall here, but I've a theory that the Slaisbury Plain is having a 'local climate' effect and preventing the fronts' clearance happening.

Posted

They have now. Updated about 7 minutes ago.

Posted
Where are you exactly if you dont mind me asking?

I'm between weymouth and bridport.