Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Cymru And South West England

Well folks, I have returned to Cannock, and what a tale I have to tell you!

Last night it started snowing heavily, but we thought nothing of it. The next morning we had 8-10 inches of snow, the sheer weight of it had brought trees down and we had no power! We were stuck there until early afternoon until we could finally leave. Was the most snow I have ever seen on low ground.

Wow and you were cynical that being the north Somerset coast you wouldn't see any snow!

What a difference a week makes :D

Posted
Maybe they feel so stupid for that boo boo last night they think that its easier to nowcast and just put a warning up once it has arived.

Also if it isnt the south east then your not important enough. :D

Yes and we are still totaly cut of from the outside world but no warning lol.

Here u on that 1, only snow if it's in the SE if u were to go by the news, we're not important enough over here lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Tricky dicky didn't sugest we would see anymore snow sunday in fact the opposite! :D

I hope this changes otherwise we can all kiss our snow goodbye.

Gonna be dam cold tonight. im quite excited about some xtreme lows. If it drops to -10c in places i can't see them making it above freezing really in the day. espec those frost pockets with snow cover

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Forecast shows snow showers for Northwest/West wales tonight, surely there cant be more snow here, thats 5 days of snow!

Posted

Been snowing here so anyone in swansea dont be suprised if you see the flake and its so cold its settling strait brilliant stuff went for a ten minute walk to the beacons from my back garden hadnt been up there at all it was waste depth in drifts and generally knee depth very impressive indeed gruanted ive seen knee depth drifts but not snow cover will post pictures after.

Well I'll be ............ just looked outside and it was snowing steadily AND settling, this at an air temp of 1.8C

Stopped now, it was just a shower from looking at the radar, but more seem to be coming down from the north.

Weird weather - last night with a temp of 1.1C it snowed but didn't settle, but now at a temp of 1.8C it snows AND settles.

Just when you think you understand all the snow mechanics it goes and surprises you!

BTW, I live in the Carmarthen area.

I suppose it all depends on the temperature on the ground the snow falls.................at 1.1c it was maybe settling on 'warm' ground' and then by cooling this ground then by the time it's up to 1.8c it's cool enough for the snow to settle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Just went out and cleared the path and start up my old car, the locks were frozen, the snow had started to melt then froze and where the water had run over the lock it froze it. Sky was very clear.

Posted
I suppose it all depends on the temperature on the ground the snow falls.................at 1.1c it was maybe settling on 'warm' ground' and then by cooling this ground then by the time it's up to 1.8c it's cool enough for the snow to settle

That could well be the case.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
Gonna be dam cold tonight. im quite excited about some xtreme lows. If it drops to -10c in places i can't see them making it above freezing really in the day. espec those frost pockets with snow cover

Certainly. This makes me wonder how it is going to rain on Sunday morning as Saturday night into Sunday is looking equally cold for many. Unless of course it is freezing rain which as I discovered in December can be very interesting indeed.

Posted

Here in Machynlleth we've had a nice snow shower for the past half hour - enough to turn the ground white. 2.4c at the moment, with patchy cloud and areas of crystal clear sky. Looks like it will freeze between showers if we get any more.

Posted

Looks like a large shower in North Wales at the moment hopefully heading this way.

Just been out and can`t see much due to a very thin low level cloud looks like fog higher up,maybe something to do with that last shower which seems to of died out.

-2.3c

Been snowing here so anyone in swansea dont be suprised if you see the flake and its so cold its settling strait brilliant stuff went for a ten minute walk to the beacons from my back garden hadnt been up there at all it was waste depth in drifts and generally knee depth very impressive indeed gruanted ive seen knee depth drifts but not snow cover will post pictures after.

Generally our best snows come from NW winds, so definitely possible, and it looks very icy out there already , a real freeze is going to keep the lying snow for quite a while longer, at least until Sunday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

-0.6c some clouds coming in from the northwest

Posted

Well what a day, heavy snow about 11am :cray: then I left to pick the other half up from work at 12 :doh: After 20min of driving through thick snow the traffic finally ground to a hault on the A35 at puddletown and thats where I stayed for the next 3 hours, watching the heavy snow build up around me :( while the trucks were straighned out and the fallen tree removed.

The whole time my mobile failed whenever trying to call anyone :rolleyes: including a very unhappy missus :D Is this a usuall thing in heavy snow????????

After fighting through all the traffic got home about half 5, thats an hour drive that took over 5 :cray:

Was hard going but sat here thinking about it I think I loved every minute :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's safe to say Iv'e got the bug :D

Posted

Heavy snow showers on and off here. -3.6c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Here are a handful of the pics I took in Nettlecombe, North Somerset.

post-7600-1233953014_thumb.jpg

post-7600-1233953031_thumb.jpg

post-7600-1233953088_thumb.jpg

post-7600-1233953104_thumb.jpg

Posted

If you are sat in your house at the computer with the curtains closed but have snow cover and clear sky, go and check out the effect of the moon shining on the snow, it's beautiful!

Well the end of a long and tiring day - sadly being off work not really an option and although the roads were bad for a few hours they were fine by lunchtime. I now have 25cm of level snow on my garden from the last 3 falls. That isn't going anywhere soon !

Goodness me 25cm and you're only 3ish miles away but probably slightly higher! Not sure what our level cover is tonight as there was a slight thaw late afternoon before it's frozen solid this evening.

Well folks, I have returned to Cannock, and what a tale I have to tell you!

Last night it started snowing heavily, but we thought nothing of it. The next morning we had 8-10 inches of snow, the sheer weight of it had brought trees down and we had no power! We were stuck there until early afternoon until we could finally leave. Was the most snow I have ever seen on low ground.

Glad you're back ok Nick.

Tricky dicky didn't sugest we would see anymore snow sunday in fact the opposite! B)

I hope this changes otherwise we can all kiss our snow goodbye.

'Tricky Dicky' got last night wrong a few hours in advance and the main BBC weather showed more widespread snow for Sunday at 18.30 than at 13.30.

Considering that there have been wrong calls as Andy said within 6 hours of snow events, calling Sunday event is impossible at the moment, certainly the further north you are the more chance there is of getting snow.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

I seem to be in a gap between the lines of showers this evening, some potent little ones near Aberporth. Temp -1c so they should fall as snow.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted
JESUS, this shower is pretty heavy. A lot of thawing earlier left paths and roads CLEAR. Now it's a whiteout with huge flakes.

Where in Wales r u? B)

Posted
Where in Wales r u?

Pontyates, Carmarthenshire.

Gower & Swansea in for some moderate stuff now if this shower keeps it's intensity.

Edited by shaunwales

If you are sat in your house at the computer with the curtains closed but have snow cover and clear sky, go and check out the effect of the moon shining on the snow, it's beautiful!

That's pretty impressive, the back garden which would normally be pitch black, looks almost like its daylight (when it's cloudy!)

Posted

Fresh snow cover in Carmarthen:

Carmarthen Bridge webcam