Snow Watch: Cymru And South West England

Ross B

Posted
if you go by BBC 24 YES

It has changed a bit we arn't going to get that much

Hi james its tom from msn

Posted

trickey great pic............mate truly

look im not going to ramp anymore....people plz watch news 24 and you will see what im on about

does anyone know what 2-3inch rain can give you in snow depth

Posted

Didnt like the Bbc at all wata downgrade for Wales in my opinion :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter
trickey great pic............mate truly

look im not going to ramp anymore....people plz watch news 24 and you will see what im on about

does anyone know what 2-3inch rain can give you in snow depth

I think Steve Murr posted about how to work this out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Hi Tom - thought it might be you :-) Hoping for more snow but I'm not sure how it will turn out at the moment (I am trying not to expect anything to save being disappointed). I've got to go now but hopefully will be on here again tomorrow night reporting these possible blizzards :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Chepstow - Where The Wye Meets The Severn ... about 0m asl
  • Location: Chepstow - Where The Wye Meets The Severn ... about 0m asl
bbc 24 now

I've always had a think for laura :Lhhaaha

yes just watched her and jay look very promising

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
bbc 24 now

Hey you need to calm down and get some sleep because if your anything like me (grown man) then your gonna be up all night tomoro if it snows and thur day i could barely keep my eyes open with the headaches from being so tired.

Other half says im obsessive. I tend to agree but can't change :lol:

Posted

The way i see this storm

Some upgrades andsome downgrades with different models and to be honest the 12z tomorrow will still not get this bang on for where the Snow will be. There is just too many factors.

Alot depends on how deep the low gets and its exact track. The models will have a good idea but the small differences will have huge effect.

It looks at this time like very good around the Brecon Beacons area for wales and pretty good for hills in the Southwest. But apart from a 2 hour snow event after midnight places closer to the coast and in the southwest England look like having a wet and windy evening.

Here in Cardiff it could be a normal winters night, but with a slight shift all this can change.

There will be a snow event for some.

Positive side is as we know last weeks event had the 528 dam even further north and still we all saw what happened in exeter. Right near the coast there was snow and infact it surprised me in the fact places had snow where i expected rain and vice verse.

BBC seemed to show more rain and sleet in Cardiff / Newport areas ( but please someone do tell them about that wandering hand that they love to put right over us)

Some will prob be dissapointed in 36 hours time where others will be overjoyed as things will change.

Nowcasting is the only way, what we want to see is sleet early in the far southwest and then snow before 3pm in North Devon mixed with the rain.

As winds turn easterly and northerly there is more and chance of it turning to snow, i just hope nearer the coast that although wet that its cold enough to stick.

This has all the potential for best winter storm since the early eighties, but potential is what it is.

Expect hill roads to be closed due to Snow ie a470 Brecon Beacons But 2nd severn crossing can handle winds, its the ice that formed that caused problems a few days ago.

Going to be a long night tomorrow, watching for the possible amazing snow event and yes i do hope we get it in Cardiff and other Costal areas but i am being realistic and looking for signs in the models for it to come off.

Posted
Hey you need to calm down and get some sleep because if your anything like me (grown man) then your gonna be up all night tomoro if it snows and thur day i could barely keep my eyes open with the headaches from being so tired.

Other half says im obsessive. I tend to agree but can't change :lol:

lol i told you...its getting better all the time............last week didnt sleep for many days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

1 inch of rain is 10 inches of snow (although this can vary)

and whats all this about snow in Devon? I won't hear it! This is the tropics don't ya know!

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted
1 inch of rain is 10 inches of snow (although this can vary)

and whats all this about snow in Devon? I won't hear it! This is the tropics don't ya know!

lets not be greedy..on earlier she said the system is carrying 3 inches of rain...........lets say worse is 2 inches of rain first then 1 inch of equivalent snow.......10 inches :lol:

thx for info

Posted
lol i told you...its getting better all the time............last week didnt sleep for many days

yes i lived on power naps for around 4 days. last night was my first good night sleep in a week.

However if it is still rain at 12 mid night tomoro im gonna give up because it would do more damage to current snow cover than good.

If it comes to pass though i shall be making that snowman i showed earlier a monster. :lol:

Posted
Looks like a downgrade for South Wales. :lol:

Yes....BBC looked like rain to me, but sky on the other hand is a diff story. Wait and hope I guess :lol:

BBC seemed to show more rain and sleet in Cardiff / Newport areas ( but please someone do tell them about that wandering hand that they love to put right over us)

Some will prob be dissapointed in 36 hours time where others will be overjoyed as things will change.

The hand over Wales is rather annoying.

Indeed, today was more snowy than forecast, and with even more marginal conditions forecast for tomorrow night.

One thing with GFS is that the event seems to last longer to clear the UK to the east, this will give more chance for the rain to turn to snow.

Posted

I say we leave it up to the nowcasting and be done with it! If I get another 25 cm of snow on top of my current foot (at last check) I might as well order me a snowmobile ... now _that_ would be fun!

new update...............oh my god..........................MASSIVE UPGRADE

bbc laura tobin....snow heavy..just like the above chart....3 inches of rain turning tto snow

extending just like chart to devon south and north..more white on map than before.

its on SNOW STORM 2009 OF THE DECAADE

did anyone just SEE THIS ON the BEEB

I wouldn't get excited...

Posted
I say we leave it up to the nowcasting and be done with it! If I get another 25 cm of snow on top of my current foot (at last check) I might as well order me a snowmobile ... now _that_ would be fun!

Yes our snow has been reduced to around a foot now-alot more melted than first thought although its rock hard now. harsh times...

Posted

With this nowcast is the only way - but hell we waited along time to ramp on about a storm and winter like this so thats what this forum is for so to the hell with it lets enjoy ramping and hope!

Tomorrow we can sort the serious stuff as we all start adding our condition reports as this storm rushes in.

THATS BEFORE HEAVY SNOW AND HIGH WINDS PUTS INTERNET OFF AND POWER SUPPLIES GO DOWN .......

Posted

Pq1DWGi9.jpg

that sort of storm?

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted

Not good enough, must be further south! :)

Or how will my house look like this again? :)

Pq1DYA10.jpg

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt