Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Watching The Channel Low

Mondy

Posted
How unusual are these temperature gradients, they seem huge to me over such a small area??

Tonights weather all feels very surreal to me and quite spooky!

I know what you mean!

Whilst the rain is heavy, it is also dead quiet, with a gentle breeze. The type of weather you get before a good evening storm in the summer. Here's hoping :D 8.9C

Posted

South Coast still nice and warm lol

Air Temperature 8.7°C

Surface Temperature 7.8°C

Humidity 93%

Dewpoint 7.7°C

Wind SSW at 12.0 mph

Barometer 975.7 hPa & Falling Rapidly

Today's Rain 54.6 mm

Rain Rate 0.0 mm/hr

Storm Total 57.4 mm

Monthly Rain 85.9 mm

Posted

From a purely selfish point of view, Roger, wouldn't mind your thoughts on the possible developing polar low way further north and west of the UK. LINK

Edited by Delta X-Ray

Posted

Hmmm Wow , I was saying earlier nothing was settleing , have been on facebook for the last hour , just looked out the window and we have at least 3 inches , cant even tell the road from the curb , and the road was flooded earlier. They are massive flakes though.

Posted
Tonights weather all feels very surreal to me and quite spooky!

Yes it`s different alright not know a low quite like this before,wind has really picked up now from the north strongest of this cold spell,and still snowing moderate temps are not impressive gone back up 0.5c :(

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

rain has cleared from me now so no chance of snow, still will prob get windy later on but no more ppn it did clear sooner than i thought it would. which is a shame as if i had of been able to hang onto the ppn for a while im sure it would have turned to snow

kaz x

Edited by kaz

Posted

Evening all,

This may be one off the last posts i make for a while im afraid just had a knock on the door and the river behind my house is about to burst its banks which is very worrying any idea if the worst is yet to come or has the main area off precip passed? would be very greatfull :rolleyes:

Posted

Does anybody know if the ppn is just going to keep moving east , or is it going to get pushed back abit as the low exits. At this rate there will be no ppn over midlands by 2am , gfd still has us in the thick of it at 6am ??

Posted

good luck LLWA... I hope you and your house will be safe come the morning...

I'm off to bed now, though I doubt I will get any sleep til the winds abate in France, the wife is giving me a running commentary by text because the storm is keeping her awake....

Cheers

FC

Posted

Come over to the north-west board where we have been discussing a polar low that has been spotted in the Atlantic. Unlikley to pull off but its well worth a look at.

Hot*Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Just been outside for a cigarette in my garden. The garden faces East but I have a North and South view with the North view incorporating the local incinerator tower. It is virtually calm in the garden but I noticed the smoke coming from the incinerator was blowing due West and virtually horizontal. The tower is approximately 200ft tall but even when I went out the front into the main part of the estate that faces West, the wind is still very light...totally bizarre... :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Its getting windy up here in North Oxfordshire, not many people are mentioning the wind ?

Still sleet/rain at 1c , snow several hours ago but as per post 401 Im hoping

Posted
Evening all,

This may be one off the last posts i make for a while im afraid just had a knock on the door and the river behind my house is about to burst its banks which is very worrying any idea if the worst is yet to come or has the main area off precip passed? would be very greatfull :D

stay safe and hope the situation doesn't become to bad.

Posted

Oh crap, The rain keeps tipping it down here and i just put as many sand bags as i can to prevent the water comeing through but no luck its starting to flood at the bottom off the garden. I really enjoy a good storm but this one seems to keep going and going tbh getting a little concerned im not to sure if worse is yet to come and if the winds are going to pick up so far only a gentle breeze but its really weird rain i have my bedroom window open where i am writeing from now. And whenever we have heavy rain you can really here it and i cant here this one kind off a silent but violent one. Anyway i will continue to keep posting as long as i can but may have to switch off all eletric at some point guys. :D

stay safe and hope the situation doesn't become to bad.

Thanks cookie all the best mate.

Posted
This one looks a flop overall, can't win 'em all! Light precipitation, air too mild, Dps too high, Low too far south, etc, etc. Not what I would classify as a 'Winter Storm', unless you live in France! What a load of nonsense they spout!

I did suspect the UKMO were overdoing this one slightly, though after last week they can be forgiven that given their broader remit. The assessment of track, coverage, intensity and magnitude of precipitation has actually all been very good. All that's been lacking is about another degree of cooling to turn widespread rain into more widespread snow. In addition I'm not sure that winds have been quite as strong as they might have been.

Overall I'd say they err'd on the cautious side of the corridor of possibility, not quite the same as getting it completely wrong.

Posted

Largely depends on your location because for me i've seen far more snow than forecasted.

Posted
Largely depends on your location because for me i've seen far more snow than forecasted.

Detail with snow is never going to be bang on, even with the best of forecasts. Overall I think the MO did ok with this. I don't think snow has been quite as widespread as forecast, nor has there been as much snow where it was forecast. Out of interest, how much is "far more"? I've had "far more" too, but then I wasn't forecast to get any; as it is I got the dusting to end all dustings.

Edited by Stratos Ferric

Posted

Right guys and girls this is getting a little to serious now. the last time i sent my post was about 40 minuites ago and the flood water was at the bottom off the garden now its just about a few inches from comeing over the step and its about 2 foot deep so going to cut off power and see what devlopes does anyone know if the worst is over becouse over the past 5 minuites rain has slowed but still have not had any high winds tonight if someone could answer my question as soon as possible i would really be greatfull.

Edited by LLWA

Posted

Morning Folks

I hope LLWA is OK and the water did stop at the back step.. but somehow I think the odds may have been against that...

I got a report from my wife who in our house near Cognac, looks like I will be out with the chainsaw at the weekend with a tree down in the garden. Luckily the power is back on but it is still prone to comings and goings. It can't be too bad though, my daughter's school is open today (she slept through the whole thing) and the wife who did not go to bed last night is going back to bed after delivering her to school.

Never a dull moment this winter, but I always seem to be in the wrong place, missed the snowfall in France, missed 2 dumpings in the UK, now missed the storm in the Charente. So I still have not seen more than a couple snow flakes falling this winter.

Cheers

FC

Edited by frozencanals

Posted

Good morning from the Isles of Sussex!

It took nearly two hours to get home last night as many of the major roads from Lewes to Eastbourne were either just, or completely impassable due to flooding. Fire Service looked like they were doing fine work and apparently responded to around 220 incidents through the night, mostly flooding and accidents associated with the weather conditions.

The main A27 was down to one lane this morning as the carriageway has collapsed due to the rain and the potholes have made an interesting drive in. The Cuckmere is overflowing to the edge of the road at Drusilla's but is passable.

The wind was nowhere near as bad as expected in Eastbourne with a peak gust only registering at 25 mph overnight but with another 7.8mm of rain to add to yesterdays deluge and all the run off from the hills I think we could see more trouble this morning. The temp only got down to 1.7 DgC at around 4.00am, hovering around 6 to 7 DgC for the rest of the night.

Posted

Forgot to add, we didn't even smell a whiff of snow! :rolleyes:

Edited by Coast