Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Watching The Channel Low

Mondy

Posted

Whatever happened to Crazy Snowfan?

Did he put in an appearance this winter?

Posted
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)

Moderate to heavy rain here for the last 10 hours. Temperature rising rapidly in the last hour - now up to 8.2c !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
The key to snow potential being good in the Midlands and inland southwest tonight is rapidly falling thickness values.

The current run continues to show thickness as high as 546 dm over the snow zone at 18z but by 03z it has fallen to about 531 dm and with the backing wind direction, available cold air source (temp at Leek for example barely above freezing), evaporative cooling, and the nocturnal factor, everything points to a gradual changeover from rain to snow throughout this zone. Amounts could still reach 10-20 cms when the change comes. The change will come later in counties just north and west of London so amounts will be lower there, 3-7 cms perhaps. Some coastal sections of the southeast and south will only see a touch of snow near the end of the precip tomorrow morning.

With the low only arriving now near Cornwall, the whole thing is setting up well for an overnight snowfall event but the process will take 2-3 more hours for most areas that are about to get their snow, thickness will be too high until about 20 or 21h.

There may be an outbreak of thunder in the southeast around then also, as part of the occlusion process, the thickness collapse is fairly rapid. I would think there is fairly high tornadic potential in northern France this evening along the developing cold front which is clearly visible on satellite imagery and radar through western France.

Thanks for that info, i was wondering if the lows only just approaching cornwall , does that mean the ppn will be chucked further north then cause at min it looks to be goin south then origonaly forecast. comments pls??????????????

Posted
Moderate to heavy rain here for the last 10 hours. Temperature rising rapidly in the last hour - now up to 8.2c !

9.4 degrees in portsmouth - positively summer

Posted

Im not sure who watched the BBC forecast but you will of noticed the risk of snow is further S. This is most certainly in response with the BBC expecting the main core of the heavy precip to be further S. So with this in mind anyone who uses the Met O radar you need to see the intense rainfall move further N. If it remains to the S you are more likely to see rain with W Midlands/Wales being the exception.

I also noticed they removed the risk of snow for E counties tomorrow morning as the LP pulls away and this is definately due to the warming effects of the N sea as the upper temps are actually colder!

Posted

Yep Iceberg, not really surprising when you see how potent the front is at the moment, pretty tight gradient, I'm just about to enter the milder air it seems as the rain is easing off as the front lifts just to the north so will be interesting to see how the temps respond.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....

3.5 degrees here and wet, wet, wet. Been raining since 7am this morning but nothing really exciting to report. Roads are starting to get pretty flooded mind...I know they have said all the action will be this evening but I'm not so certain and think they have over hyped this...

Posted

Just got off the phone to my mum in SW France(Charente) wind speed is picking up there rapidly now, 160kph due tonight dropping to 100kph tomorrow morning.

Posted

Moderate snow here now. Regarding temps in the South nudging double figures-this was forecast earlier today by the BBC and it shouldnt last long before the colder air digs back in if i remember correctly.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Strange that there's so little wind about. Just looked on XC weather and nothing of note anywhere. At the moment it's the rain and snow that's the talking point. Maybe the quietest storm ever ????

Also it seems the prec band is pushing further north than expected and being more of snow than thought earlier.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
Strange that there's so little wind about. Just looked on XC weather and nothing of note anywhere. At the moment it's the rain and snow that's the talking point. Maybe the quietest storm ever ????

aren't the winds forecast later tonight?

Posted

Actually, i was thinking exactly the same. I think the original reason why the MO classed it as a winter storm was the PPN and Wind speeds. Its very still where i am now and has been all day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
Rain, rain and more rain here.. Amazing that it's snowing in Luton..

Snowing 25 miles to your north as well

Posted

Snowing moderatley for past 30 minutes :):) Now thats unexpected!!

Posted
9.4 degrees in portsmouth - positively summer

9.4c here as well now. An increase of almost 5 degrees in 90 minutes... and it's stopped raining.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
Whatever happened to Crazy Snowfan?

Did he put in an appearance this winter?

He's been around :)

Posted
9.4c here as well now. An increase of almost 5 degrees in 90 minutes... and it's stopped raining.

Yep the warmest part of the warm sector has arrived over you - illustrated nicely by the NMM tonight (albeit that I think it has the low tracking a little way south of where it actually is):

18:00

post-2-1234208571_thumb.png

20:00

post-2-1234208577_thumb.png

By the early hours it's long gone:

post-2-1234208582_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
Snowing 25 miles to your north as well

Snow grains now , very interesting as its clealry shows against my semi horizontal window, the snow then the snow grains

Edited by stewfox