Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: London, Se England & East Anglia

Posted
Temperatures in the south are starting to fall.

this shows that the temperature in Bournemouth (Hurn) has dropped 4C in one hour!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/sw/...st_weather.html

Must be heading my way soon, as i am only about 40 miles east of Bournemouth

:D:D

Isle of Portland is even better, http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/sw/...st_weather.html

8.0C to 2.9C in an hour!! :lol:

Posted
The 18z GFS shows that a great swathe of warmair is still to cross a large part of the south eastern corner, including suffolk. What is interesting however is that it leaves ppn over suffolk and the south east until around 6pm tomorrow and shows it turning to snow from about 9am - wonder what will happen as presently its just rain and doesnt look remotely like turning to snow anytime soon.

poor old tony adams!

Posted

Its been raining solidly since last night and I am surprised how much lying snow is still there despite the deluge. I wonder how deep it would be by now if had all fallen as snow !

Posted

Absolutly pouring down here, road turning into river quickly,,, if only this was snow :lol:

Posted

As expected, the temp has started to fall.

Temp has gone from 7c to 6c.

Posted
poor old tony adams!

Yeah, I was sad its turned out as it has for him, hes a top bloke and wish him well for the future.

Back to the weather and despite the rapid falls in temps that some have mentioned above, the way that the low is going to move means that we in the S.E and eastern parts of EA will stay with uppers too warm for snow until just before day break.

Posted

is my snow here in cambs due to turn back to rain overnight ?

i currently have white roads again.

soon be time to hit the sack.

Hard work this lampost watching....up and down like a bloody yo-yo

Posted
is my snow here in cambs due to turn back to rain overnight ?

i currently have white roads again.

soon be time to hit the sack.

Hard work this lampost watching....up and down like a bloody yo-yo

Have to be honest im unsure.

The backend of the precip is currently over W Midlands and this is likely to transer E during the night. Now alot depends on the intensity of the precp and whether it weakens as it moves E.

Personally im just enjoying the moment.

Posted
Have to be honest im unsure.

The backend of the precip is currently over W Midlands and this is likely to transer E during the night. Now alot depends on the intensity of the precp and whether it weakens as it moves E.

Personally im just enjoying the moment.

have you still got heavy snow falling ?

Posted
have you still got heavy snow falling ?

Yes and now the wind has increased this is drifting up against the walls.

I reckon around 2inches has fallen this past hr but due to the wind its difficult to be exact because there is 6 inches in some areas that were clear of snow at 10pm!

Posted
Yes and now the wind has increased this is drifting up against the walls.

I reckon around 2inches has fallen this past hr but due to the wind its difficult to be exact because there is 6 inches in some areas that were clear of snow at 10pm!

Impressive i must say. we still have snow coming down, sometimes heavy, but not those amounts.

Looking at the radar we should still get a few more hours of this, hopefully of snow.

Posted
What are the dew points/temps that 'normally' sleet and snow fall at? I'm never sure what I should be looking for and/or how far away i am. Thanks

I tend to look for 0C temp, 0C DP although last night temps were 1C,DP 1C and we had snow.

Speakng of which at the moment there is a very narrow area recording 0C temp, 0C DP including Peterborough and the E Midlands. Ironically these areas are the same locations that were hit hardest during these past few days. Im wondering if I kind of domino effect is occuring here due to the existing lying snow. Although it could just be lucky coincidence but just 20miles to my NE temps are 2C, DP 2C!!

Posted
I tend to look for 0C temp, 0C DP although last night temps were 1C,DP 1C and we had snow.

Speakng of which at the moment there is a very narrow area recording 0C temp, 0C DP including Peterborough and the E Midlands. Ironically these areas are the same locations that were hit hardest during these past few days. Im wondering if I kind of domino effect is occuring here due to the existing lying snow. Although it could just be lucky coincidence but just 20miles to my NE temps are 2C, DP 2C!!

Thanks. So close here then 0.8c and 0.1c dew. Would have assumed that in the heavier rain (currently) that we'd have some signs of sleet though!

Glad to see your snow pics. Always good to get photos from others enjoying snow.

Posted
Impressive i must say. we still have snow coming down, sometimes heavy, but not those amounts.

Looking at the radar we should still get a few more hours of this, hopefully of snow.

Check out RAF Wittering which is the official weather station for Peterborough.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/ukukstdf.htm

Currently 12cm which is amazing considering all that heavy rain at first.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

The low pressure is now centred just south of Brighton according to the latest NW info, which means the Ne?N'ly component is soon going to have an effect.

I have a feeling that the snow may arrive sooner than expected for those lucky souls that are in the firing line.

Posted
Thanks. So close here then 0.8c and 0.1c dew. Would have assumed that in the heavier rain (currently) that we'd have some signs of sleet though!

Glad to see your snow pics. Always good to get photos from others enjoying snow.

Amazing, only a few miles away here its temp 3.2 and DP 2.6. Have you had a sudden drop in temps?

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Think your probably correct about the lying snow having a cooling effect, been snowing here most of the evening, very heavy at times too, grass is under a thick blanket of snow again and people footprints that were on pavements are covered once more. Just down the road in aylesbury it's been raining mostly and they are at a higher elevation i think than here. Just goes do show what influence snow cover has on temperature. You notice alot more on frosty clear nights when theres lying snow, seems to suck the temps down quickly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

temps 2.8c here dewpoints 2c atm. the highest they have been