Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: London, Se England & East Anglia

Posted
We've got snow, sleet and rain all at the same time — it's not looking like settling as everything's soaked.

I make a public apology to my NW radar — but snow with a dp of 1–2° C??

Got to hand it to the net-weather radar.. showing snow and chucking down with rain here dewpoint is 3c temp 6c :D

I think that had better be fixed.. otherwise could be showing snow in 27c heat :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Got to hand it to the net-weather radar.. showing snow and chucking down with rain here dewpoint is 3c temp 6c :D

I think that had better be fixed.. otherwise could be showing snow in 27c heat :D

But it did actually start snowing so the radar was correct — eventually.

Posted

Rain, rain, rain here this evening. A far cry from the snow showers forecast on Countryfile for Wednesday onwards! :lol:

What do we have to look forward to? Perhaps a dusting of snow tomorrow evening, but I ain't holding my breath!

Edited by Don

Posted
Flash warnings have now been issued at 0628 for heavy snow this evening and over night for 2 to 5cm of snow with as much as 8cm further north.

Like that met office warning!! :pardon:

Probably won't happen mind you, but we can dream!! :)

Posted
Flash warnings have now been issued at 0628 for heavy snow this evening and over night for 2 to 5cm of snow with as much as 8cm further north.

Warning is now Advisory of severe or extreme weather

The ppn will make it's way to the SE. So far, the upper temps is looking ok for snow.

Posted

I like the fact that there's a threat as much as anything. Snow would be a bonus. The anticipation of expecting snow is up there or close to, seeing snow fall and start to settle.

Albeit briefly, we've had as low as -3 but generally at least -1/-2 the last few nights, why couldn't it snow then. Fingers crossed there's a repeat, but knowing our luck it'll be 2c or something that diminishes our chances.

Posted
I like the fact that there's a threat as much as anything. Snow would be a bonus. The anticipation of expecting snow is up there or close to, seeing snow fall and start to settle.

Albeit briefly, we've had as low as -3 but generally at least -1/-2 the last few nights, why couldn't it snow then. Fingers crossed there's a repeat, but knowing our luck it'll be 2c or something that diminishes our chances.

2c ground temp is still ok for snow. The upper temp will be just fine by the time the ppn arrives later on. The SE will have 2-5 cm of snow.

Edited by yamkin

Posted
There is a moderate risk of severe weather today.

Snow will spread southwards from Scotland into parts of northern, central and eastern England today, probably reaching the southeast, including London and the Home Counties this evening. Some 2 to 5 cm of snow is possible across many parts with perhaps as much as 8 cm on higher ground of the north.

Really? Are they sure? :pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
Really? Are they sure? :pardon:

Tell you what looking at the Radar and snow reports from North of the border this is quite a chunky belt of snowfall and not just some weak thin belt of snow. It also seems to be pepping up as it comes further south.

Was this forecast to happen? 5cm would be great and then this would freeze over night and I have tomorrow off! Fantabidosee!

Posted

Local SE BBC weather forecast this morning made no mention of it going for a cold sunny day, I assume they get their info from the same source.

*goes off to check radar etc*

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
Local SE BBC weather forecast this morning made no mention of it going for a cold sunny day, I assume they get there info from the same source.

*goes off to check radar etc*

To be fair I think this has caught them off guard a bit!

The Meto have only just put up a "be prepared" warning!

The bbc are pants anyway :)

Posted

Interesting developments for later; we had rain yesterday but I think there's a better chance of some wet snow this evening between 6pm and midnight. It should turn to rain though early tomorrow morning.

Posted

There were hints about this earlier in the week but nothing else was mentioned since then, so i guess i thought it wasn't going to happen.

This will keep people happy whilst the models churn out random charts for next week. I haven't looked into it all yet, so I'm going to assume that it could just be rain here. Anything settling will be a nice bonus. Curtain twitching duties resume! :)

Posted

Peter Gibbs on BBC24 weather just said the band of snow will move south over our region and on down to London and could give 1 - 2 inches as it passes through..!

I would be well happy with that. I think a few warnings will be issued later.

It does highlight the fact that the beeb dont make a fuss when it snows up in Scotland, although they will see up to 10cm of snow with the forecasters not even battering an eyelid.

If that was a snow event down here in the south, it would be all over the media and they would be given out severe weather warnings etc. !

It is rather embarressing how wel really hype it up down here.

Having said that, i'll be watching my trusty old lampost this evening..!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Told y'all it would happen.....as soon as Im out of the country it would snow at my house. Im currently in Reykjavik, Iceland where there is snow on the ground and its freezing.. not the same as home snow though. Goodluck to you all this evening, as I said its bound to happen I aint at home! haha :)

i shouldnt moan though, we have snow forecast today, friday evening, saturday and sunday here .. :)

Edited by i luv snow

Posted

Well of course I'd be delighted to see a little more of the white stuff but I'm going to stick my neck out here and say it will stop around the middle of Suffolk and North of London, possibly catching the tip of North Kent. I certainly would be very surprised if it made it all the way down to my location but I'm not eating my hat (or any other woollen garment) if it does.

Does anybody have a link to a snow dance so I can appease the gods?

LOC_20090212_0300.png

Edited by Coast

Posted

Yes, I heard the weather forecast on Radio 4 at 8.00 and they were talking up the possibility of snow for the South East. I was surprised although pleased to hear this.

Of course the media have now moved their radar from "snow chaos" to the "banksters" again - so I doubt we will hear too much about this on the news until anything actually falls!

The good thing for the SE/E Anglia is that the timing is likely to mean that any falls will be near to or after dark, so the possibility of it actually settling will be considerably enhanced.

MM