Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: North West England

Posted
Persistant light snow here.Still to wet on the ground though for it to settle.

Seems an extra 200 ft could have made the difference tonight i think snowmad79 will be seeing seetleing snow now

Well it's not made the couple of miles journey up Ashton/Oldham Road, because there's not so much as a smidgeon of sleet that's fallen here lol

Edit: How interesting this would have been had the low been just 30/40 miles further north.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.
Anyone want to stick their necks out regarding tomorrow:

TUESDAY:

A north/north-westerly regime will take hold of the region on Tuesday bringing cloud, with perhaps some periods of sunshine. Perhaps some rogue sleet/snow showers will affect parts of the region however they will not cause any disruption. Conditions will continue into the evening and night, bringing perhaps a frost in some areas particuarly over high ground.

Hot*Snow

What you said H*S, with more chance of this for Blackpool than the possible 'event' on the meto's advisory. :Dpost-509-1234216046_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
Well it's not made the couple of miles journey up Ashton/Oldham Road, because there's not so much as a smidgeon of sleet that's fallen here lol

Edit: How interesting this would have been had the low been just 30/40 miles further north.

That's interesting, I noticed there seemed to be a persistant hole in the precip.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)
That's interesting, I noticed there seemed to be a persistant hole in the precip.

haha lol, now thats unlucky

Posted

Can confirm it is snowing here at the top of the hill in Uppermill. The road has disappeared again and we have at least 1cm. Building up fast and has covered up the patches in the slight thaw we had.

Posted
Can confirm it is snowing here at the top of the hill in Uppermill. The road has disappeared again and we have at least 1cm. Building up fast and has covered up the patches in the slight thaw we had.

give it some time to cooldown. midlands have been given blizzard warning, but not until the wee hours like 2/4 am ish..so id have to say give it till that time here..as for the nw lp was watching it from lunchtime..its not really tomorrow that i am interested in, its wednesday's forecast of snow in the north over the entire region incl nw even on low ground. unless the beeb have got caught with their pants down once again.

mind you

the dp needs to drop but i imagine that will happen pretty soonish..and as the low moves away, you never know, cheshire e and manchester on the tail end of this system as moves out

dew point now is 1.1C too borderline.

temp ok at 1.3

post-1982-1234217352_thumb.png

Edited by NorthWest_Snow

Posted

I think a 'hole' round this way was forecast - it looked that way on the BBC graphics earlier.

No precipitation at all here. Some light rain this afternoon, a little windy this evening 2c with some more light rain/sleet earlier on, normal winters evening so far...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

can anyone explain the bright white cloud off the nw coast of scotland? watch the development in last 3-4 hours bright white cloud with an eye in the centre!! polar low???

http://www.sat24.com/

Edited by james12

Posted
give it some time to cooldown. midlands have been given blizzard warning, but not until the wee hours like 2/4 am ish..so id have to say give it till that time here..as for the nw lp was watching it from lunchtime..its not really tomorrow that i am interested in, its wednesday's forecast of snow in the north over the entire region incl nw even on low ground. unless the beeb have got caught with their pants down once again.

what does the 18z say?not had chance to look

Edited by swainclubber

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.
can anyone explain the bright white cloud off the nw coast of scotland? watch the development in last 3-4 hours bright white cloud with an eye in the centre!! polar low???

Does look interesting James - and it grows v quick too. Anything with an 'eye' in that region this time of year is worth watching, and PLs are supposed to be v diff to forecast - just the conditions favourable. Would need someone more knowledgable than me to comment with any confidence though.

Posted
18z says the heaviest ppn keeping clear of the North West as predicted

mind you saying that, the gfs as happily in the past got things wrong for my area..there was no snow, while it was snowing.its happened a number of times. i do think it struggles with the areas like merseyside and cheshire quite badly actually.

Posted
Does look interesting James - and it grows v quick too. Anything with an 'eye' in that region this time of year is worth watching, and PLs are supposed to be v diff to forecast - just the conditions favourable. Would need someone more knowledgable than me to comment with any confidence though.

lol yeah that is one funky cloud haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

It looks like one, would be good if it headed this way but it doesn't seem to be moving to fast atm.

Posted

lol - trust me to be in the middle of the hole of 'nothingness' lol

P.S. There was talk about x3 Polar Lows forming a few days ago, but nothing materialised, or if it did, it only flirted with parts of Scotland.

Posted
you mean this?

yeah that second one..never seen something like that before!

Posted
It looks like one, would be good if it headed this way but it doesn't seem to be moving to fast atm.

to be fair james its only just developed an eye watching the sat..id say certainly keep an eye on it..but it may be pushed out of the way by the lp heading for nw uk it may drag it down towards us if it can maintain itself long enough, its certainly building up though pretty fast once that eye as appeared

Edited by NorthWest_Snow

Don't know about 2 in the morning, the snow has well and truly set in across much of the midlands, covering the motorways around Birmingham and Coventry.

As for us, forget it, the precipitation is moving away now.

Yes, it does look like a polar low, the Met have a warning for it to hit western Scotland tomorrow.

Posted
Don't know about 2 in the morning, the snow has well and truly set in across much of the midlands, covering the motorways around Birmingham and Coventry.

Yes, it does look like a polar low, the Met have a warning for it to hit western Scotland tomorrow.

good bc if that sucker hits good days :) just checked the met where is the warning for this polar low?

Edited by NorthWest_Snow

Posted
to be fair james its only just developed an eye watching the sat..id say certainly keep an eye on it..but it may be pushed out of the way by the lp heading for nw uk it may drag it down towards us if it can maintain itself long enough, its certainly building up though pretty fast once that eye as appeared

Found this - good explanation of a PL and a picture of a fully developed one.

http://schools-wikipedia.org/2006/wp/c/Cyclone.htm

Posted

Southern most parts of the region look best placed (once again) for any snowfall from the 'winter storm'. More so higher ground, very much will depend on the intensity, but it does look a rather short-lived affair.

Further prospects- tomorrow very isolate snow shower possible but not expecting too much, however later on tomorrow and more so Wednesday I think eastern and northern parts could catch a few hefty showers from the NE wind.

Posted

I think its all heading back South East so won't reach here anyway.

Does look like a polar low North West of Scotland, though. Although again I'm not someone who knows anything about them really!

Posted
I think its all heading back South East so won't reach here anyway.

Does look like a polar low North West of Scotland, though. Although again I'm not someone who knows anything about them really!

it is a polar low, but looking at it, its still forming, what we want is for that low pressure system to the nw of the uk to feed it, and drag it down to us pronto..they simply dont last long, but they can produce quite a lot of snow.

expect this to grow very quickly good thing is the lp to nw is very close by to it, and to the uk :cc_confused:

it has grown again the eye is now more distinctive than last photo

post-1982-1234218984_thumb.png

Edited by NorthWest_Snow