Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: North West England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)
Same here, this has been a good winter so far for us in Bacup, I've only been here for 5 years and we've had a couple of decent falls each year but this has been the best and stayed around longest. What amazes me is that it rains all summer and then as soon as it could be snow it seems to disappear.

It it chucking down something outside, I think it is sleet, all I know that is extremely cold in that strong wind.

Shadowfax

yeah, when the cold sets in it goes bone dry..the good thing this year is that it hasnt been cold then any snow has turned to rain.that is what normally happens

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Ok fair point James, I should be greatfull of what we have had compaired to what others have had. I guess I just crave a proper snowy winter of old but imo weve had better than this even within the last 10 yrs with 1997 being the last really memorable winter for me.

However in my eyes, dustings or pittyfull snow falls (like yesterday and now) do not register on my snowmoscale lol.

What amazes me is that it rains all summer and then as soon as it could be snow it seems to disappear.

Yep I said yesterday it think that the northwest can be garunteed to get the worst and most of the precip when we least want it, plenty through the year then as soon as winter arrives we more or less get a drought.

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted
Ok fair point James, I should be greatfull of what we have had compaired to what others have had. I guess I just crave a proper snowy winter of old but imo weve had better than this even within the last 10 yrs with 1997 being the last really memorable winter for me.

However in my eyes, dustings or pittyfull snow falls (like yesterday and now) do not register on my snowmoscale lol.

whats it doing there now mate?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!
whats it doing there now mate?

Err hangon a minute my snowmoscale doesnt seem to be picking anything up, ill just have a look out the window.

It looks like fine sleety specs of snow blowing about. :D

Posted
Err hangon a minute my snowmoscale doesnt seem to be picking anything up, ill just have a look out the window.

It looks like fine sleety specs of snow blowing about. :D

lol likewise, cant tell if its drizzle or snizzle

Posted

Looking at the midlands thread, it is still sleet/wet rain in Stoke etc. Should be a while until that reaches here and then turns to snow. A couple of hours at least, I think until we have the snow. We will have lower temps then anyway.

Posted

Snowing here now, sticking too, temp 0.1oC, pretty windy. Can't see it being anything to significant, the heavier precipitation looks much further south & can't see that making its way up here

EDIT......its heavier than I imagined it would be going off the met office radar, but lets wait and see

Edited by Storm Animal

Posted

Snowing nicely on the Birmingham webcam now, it was raining about half an hour ago http://www.itvlocal.com/meridian/live/ Temperature is droping slowly here now at 3.0 with a dew of 1.2 not sure I'll get anything from this now. Good luck to everyone else though :D

Edited by SnowKidding

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Can confirm light snow now falling at Manchester Airport LoL

Posted
Can confirm light snow now falling at Manchester Airport LoL

gawd still looks like sleet here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Glad to see the meto advisory is still there for a couple of areas inc my own tomorrow, but I somehow think it won't materialise. Too many let-downs I guess. Still, you just never know I suppose.

Posted
Snowing here now, wind very strong so its horizontal rather than falling snow!

Shadowfax

are they tiny flakes?the reason i ask is because i cant tell what it is here!

Posted
are they tiny flakes?the reason i ask is because i cant tell what it is here!

No, they were when I went outside earlier, but now they are bigger and look like snow. I think its probably my altitude, it usually about 1 or 2 degrees colder here than Rochdale, when ever we drive home through Rochdale you can see the temp falling as we climb. If you look at the raintoday website, it looks like it's still heading in our direction and getting heavier.

Update - just thought I would check again when I let the dogs in - it's now proper snow flakes.

Shadowfax

Posted
No, they were when I went outside earlier, but now they are bigger and look like snow. I think its probably my altitude, it usually about 1 or 2 degrees colder here than Rochdale, when ever we drive home through Rochdale you can see the temp falling as we climb. If you look at the raintoday website, it looks like it's still heading in our direction and getting heavier.

Update - just thought I would check again when I let the dogs in - it's now proper snow flakes.

Shadowfax

cheers for that, appreciated

Posted

No sign of any snowfall here, just light drizzle.

As for tomorrows snowfall - probably another let-down.

Hot*Snow

Posted

Shadowfax

actually its now proper snow, if not a bit wet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

A nice dusting so far, even sticking to the pavements and roads.

Edited by James M

Posted
A nice dusting so far, even sticking to the pavements and roads.

looks too wet here, and might even be turning back to rain, you just cant tell!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
looks too wet here, and might even be turning back to rain, you just cant tell!

I know what you mean, at first glance you would think it was raining here but it's very fine snow.

Posted

Anyone want to stick their necks out regarding tomorrow:

TUESDAY:

A north/north-westerly regime will take hold of the region on Tuesday bringing cloud, with perhaps some periods of sunshine. Perhaps some rogue sleet/snow showers will affect parts of the region however they will not cause any disruption. Conditions will continue into the evening and night, bringing perhaps a frost in some areas particuarly over high ground.

Hot*Snow