Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted

Well me and my fella just went for a walk and a snow fight :D The snow has stopped now. Its all sliding off the cars and dripping from the trees. The roads are all sludgy!

I dont think it will be there in the morning unless some sort of miracle happens and it snows hard! :) But it was good fun.

Hopefully theres more snow to come this week! :)

Posted
Dave Net Weather love your snow picture on the front page don't they :D

Only just noticed that. :)

I think I took that back in Dec 05.

Latest pic here in Peterborough.

post-1766-1234225719_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Only just noticed that. :lol:

I think I took that back in Dec 05.

Latest pic here in Peterborough.

post-1766-1234225719_thumb.jpg

I remember that event well, I got a bit of snow but you got about double what I did because it was an Easterly! That pic seems to be on there nearly every snow event :D

Nice pic, it's still snowing here and settling, can't wait to take my dog on the park tomorrow morning!

Posted
Hi NorthantsSnow

Do you reckon it will or are we about done for tonight ?

Definitely looks like it'll arch back towards us as the low pulls away.

Keeping an eye on some heavy looking cells towards the Warwick area, perhaps making things more interesting again here shortly? :lol:

Posted
Nice pic, it's still snowing here and settling, can't wait to take my dog on the park tomorrow morning!

Yeah im lazy I just open my bedroom window and click away.

Still hammering down with snow here.

Posted

generally speaking north of a line from oxford to cambridge the precip is dying out now as it heads south east, i expect it may fizzle out before making it to the south east in most parts.

Posted
Definitely looks like it'll arch back towards us as the low pulls away.

Keeping an eye on some heavy looking cells towards the Warwick area, perhaps making things more interesting again here shortly? :lol:

Do you think that will effect leicester if it does and keep us in the snow for longer. That polar low could really beef them showers up due on wednesdat morning

Posted

I tell you what Andy my mother sent me these pics from Wansford Nr Peterborough taken yesterday.

post-1766-1234227051_thumb.jpg

post-1766-1234227062_thumb.jpg

I've printed them off and put them in a frame.

Posted
I tell you what Andy my mother sent me these pics from Wansford Nr Peterborough taken yesterday.

post-1766-1234227051_thumb.jpg

post-1766-1234227062_thumb.jpg

I've printed them off and put them in a frame.

WOW! AMAZING :lol:

Posted

In oxford it is now snowing, but not settling, at least not on areas which aren't still covered with snow (that these areas are still there is a miracle after all the rain). Sadly, it's swivelling and not only is the stuff on the way not particularly heavy but it also won't be around for very long I'd imagine. Once the band has completed its pivot, it will move away quite quickly, though hopefully the ppn might pick up at the same time.

Posted
Do you think that will effect leicester if it does and keep us in the snow for longer. That polar low could really beef them showers up due on wednesdat morning

The snow should die out in the next half an hour for us Chris. The band is fizzling out around the Midlands now but it's been a good event I think. Not quite the 10-20cm and blizzards the BBC said Sunday afternoon but we have got 5cm fresh snow and it was blizzards for a time earlier, was very heavy snow and driving winds about 11:30pm.

Posted
The snow should die out in the next half an hour for us Chris. The band is fizzling out around the Midlands now but it's been a good event I think. Not quite the 10-20cm and blizzards the BBC said Sunday afternoon but we have got 5cm fresh snow and it was blizzards for a time earlier, was very heavy snow and driving winds about 11:30pm.

Yeah but if you watch the radar closer as the low is pulling away it is arching the ppn back over us and pretty soon the ppn will be moving south or south east instead of east as it is now. Might give us an extra hour or two. Must admit flakes are getting smaller. Glenfield has snow upto the doorways I have been told by 2 seperate people.

Posted

There is some more heavier stuff around the Stoke area but it simply doesn't seem to be budging. Honestly if you look back on the radar returns since 9pm it's been there all night but very little movement. Something amiss there, especially with reports of rain and whatnot in that area.

I think you should see an hour or two of light snow yet, perhaps some more heavy stuff but uncertain.

Posted
Yeah but if you watch the radar closer as the low is pulling away it is arching the ppn back over us and pretty soon the ppn will be moving south or south east instead of east as it is now. Might give us an extra hour or two. Must admit flakes are getting smaller. Glenfield has snow upto the doorways I have been told by 2 seperate people.

Maybe, it is fizzling out all over the Midlands now apart from the Eastern side, I think we may get a few more hours of light snow, hope it doesen't turn to light rain though because it could do! The dew point is around 0.3c here even though the ground temp is 0.6c. A bit worrying that is lol.

The snow upto doors in Glenfield must be drifting because of the strong winds, it certainly isn't upto the doors level snow thats for sure lol.

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted
Maybe, it is fizzling out all over the Midlands now apart from the Eastern side, I think we may get a few more hours of light snow, hope it doesen't turn to light rain though because it could do! The dew point is around 0.3c here even though the ground temp is 0.6c. A bit worrying that is lol.

The snow upto doors in Glenfield must be drifting because of the strong winds, it certainly isn't upto the doors level snow thats for sure lol.

Well lets hope so , Lets face it light snow is pointless anyway. I am quite shocked how well we have done , Secretly I did share your view that we might have just missed out on this .. Stoke on trent did. All charts show -6 850's over us by 6am though.

Posted

Ouch- brief broadband outage here in Northants. That hurt. Nearly retreated to bed as normally when Virgin goes down it's down for several hours.

Still snowing light/moderately with that heavier stuff now edging back in.

Posted
Well lets hope so , Lets face it light snow is pointless anyway. I am quite shocked how well we have done , Secretly I did share your view that we might have just missed out on this .. Stoke on trent did. All charts show -6 850's over us by 6am though.

Do you have the N-W radar? the PPN is slowly but surely moving away i'm afraid. Best we can hope for is some heavier bursts later on as the precip clears the UK altogether during the early morning like 5-8am.

Posted
They ramped this one right up!

Just a dusting here really.

3-4cm in North Brum!

Sad to say a complete non even for the west midlands. Last Monday was the only decent snow day for us

Posted

Still snowing heavily.

Im in the zone just SW of the Wash where the precip for the past 3hrs has hardly moved at all.

Very surprised by tonights events because I thought the W Midlands would do better rather than the E. I said in another thread but I wonder if a domino effect has occured here. There is no doubt that locations such as Northants,Cambs,Leicestershire have done very well during this period but is this coincidence is has the lying snow had an effect increasing the chance of snow??

Posted
OMG !! We HAVE A BLIZZARD! CHRIST I JUST WOKE UP:) lol

We have a new layer of snow on the ground too 3-4cms atm

What?! How is that possible? We're 20 minutes north of you on the train max. and as far as I can see out of the window we have nothing settled. According to the radar we've just had a sustained period of heavy snow, while you've been in light stuff. But then again the radar is awful. Outside it is snowing lightly now, much too lightly too settle currently, and there doesn't appear to be any more on the way. Damp squib for us I'm afraid

Posted
Still snowing heavily.

Im in the zone just SW of the Wash where the precip for the past 3hrs has hardly moved at all.

Very surprised by tonights events because I thought the W Midlands would do better rather than the E. I said in another thread but I wonder if a domino effect has occured here. There is no doubt that locations such as Northants,Cambs,Leicestershire have done very well during this period but is this coincidence is has the lying snow had an effect increasing the chance of snow??

Maybe, I think the reason you had more snow than the West Midlands tonight though is because the heavier precip has been over you since 9-10pm when the colder air started to dig in and the heavy precip made evaporative cooling happen. It's all about the luck of where the heaviest PPN falls, some locations get more than others which are 10 miles away. For instance... On friday you saw about 10cm+? All we got was light snow for a few hours which didn't settle and that was it, total non-event. 35 miles East though you got a hammering!

We did do very well in Leicester last Monday though, heaviest precip seemed to come over us when the band came and we already had 3-4cm on the ground from the snow showers the night before! Altogether we had about 8-10cm on pavements and road and about 12cm on the grass.

I still want to see a BIG snow event for us though, i'm not talking 5-10cm i'm talking 20-30cm like the good old days. I have never seen depths of 20-30cm here ever, i'd love just one big snow event like that to enjoy. Who knows maybe this February will still deliver something like that for us, the cold is sticking around for a week or so now and I hope a big Easterly comes in like the GFS F.I has been hinting for a few runs.

Posted
Maybe, I think the reason you had more snow than the West Midlands tonight though is because the heavier precip has been over you since 9-10pm when the colder air started to dig in and the heavy precip made evaporative cooling happen. It's all about the luck of where the heaviest PPN falls, some locations get more than others which are 10 miles away. For instance... On friday you saw about 10cm+? All we got was light snow for a few hours which didn't settle and that was it, total non-event. 35 miles East though you got a hammering!

We did do very well in Leicester last Monday though, heaviest precip seemed to come over us when the band came and we already had 3-4cm on the ground from the snow showers the night before! Altogether we had about 8-10cm on pavements and road and about 12cm on the grass.

I still want to see a BIG snow event for us though, i'm not talking 5-10cm i'm talking 20-30cm like the good old days. I have never seen depths of 20-30cm here ever, i'd love just one big snow event like that to enjoy. Who knows maybe this February will still deliver something like that for us, the cold is sticking around for a week or so now and I hope a big Easterly comes in like the GFS F.I has been hinting for a few runs.

i have here mate, 1991 and 1995, miss them soooo bad :(