Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
Wow small world! Yeh LE3 is Leicester Forest East and Braunstone. I live up the Braunstone way. I was born in 1988 so sadly don't remember the 80's snow events but I do remember a few deep snow events as a small kid in the mid 90's.

Biggest snow event I remember was the 40cm Leeds blizzard of 1995. That's as early as I can remember, but I have memories of wondering where the car had gone!!! Now THAT was snow.

Posted
WOW-- the snow is gushing down, incredibly thick flakes and again it's like a winter wonderland.

Temp 0C exactly and radar looks promising with regard to this continuing for the foreseeable :rolleyes::doh:

What do you reckon i'll be like 6am time? Starting seeing sleet driving home from work outside MK about 6pm, turned to snow properly by 7.30pm and has been settling ever since. Surprised by how little snow has melted today (still over 5 inches undisturbed irrespective of the rain) here compared to around MK, where it was suffering this afternoon (being that bit further north, I don't think we had quite as much rain through the day, particularly this morning/early afternoon - it didn't start raining proper until 3pm in Rushden). Difficult to estimate amounts of fresh snow now as it is drifting signifcantly. Certainly in the region of > 2-3 inches by now.

Just slightly below freezing here, -0.2C at the minute.

Posted

Looking at met office radar and the way the wind is blowing i will be a little surprised if it snows for much longer here, it looks like it wont be that long before it clears to the east here, or am i wrong about that ?

Approx an inch here i think so far

Edited by Frank

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow - or HOT
Wow small world! Yeh LE3 is Leicester Forest East and Braunstone. I live up the Braunstone way. I was born in 1988 so sadly don't remember the 80's snow events but I do remember a few deep snow events as a small kid in the mid 90's.

small world indeed :-) i went over the handle bars of my bike on LFE estate in the 80's in the snow ! fingers crossed for you, with any luck you can get to Weston Park tomorrow for sledging !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I'm starting to think this could be significant here now, 10cm or so is possible.

3-4cm has fell in an hour and looking at the radar it's now stalled and is slowly moving East but theres LOADS of heavy PPN still over Leicestershire, Northants, Nottingham that will slowly move East through the night and theres more out West in Birmingham which we will get in a few hours :rolleyes:

post-2115-1234222770_thumb.jpg

Posted
small world indeed :-) i went over the handle bars of my bike on LFE estate in the 80's in the snow ! fingers crossed for you, with any luck you can get to Weston Park tomorrow for sledging !

Haha Western Park :rolleyes: Thanks! I'm going to take loads of pictures in the morning, this could be deeper than the 4-5 inches of snow I got on Monday! This snow is much heavier and longer lasting.

Posted
:rolleyes::doh::doh::doh: All those who say it snows more in Telford than Shrewsbury because of altitude: How the ****** HELL can it snow and stick in Peterborough while it's rainy sleet here? Peterborough is about 1mm above sea level if you include the foundations :doh::doh:

Posted

Really heavy here now, car are just getting through but are sliding abit, i'm uploading a youtube video to show you what it's like

Posted
I'm starting to think this could be significant here now, 10cm or so is possible.

3-4cm has fell in an hour and looking at the radar it's now stalled and is slowly moving East but theres LOADS of heavy PPN still over Leicestershire, Northants, Nottingham that will slowly move East through the night and theres more out West in Birmingham which we will get in a few hours :rolleyes:

The more the better

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
Places I COULD drive to. Work tomorrow in Pompey and i've apparently demolished 3 cans of london pride while dreaming about living north of the M4.

was a student in Ports through 85-88

So had storm of 87 down there and winters of 86 and 87

Posted

22025-tn.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

3-4cm has fell in an hour and looking at the radar it's now stalled and is slowly moving East but theres LOADS of heavy PPN still over Leicestershire, Northants, Nottingham that will slowly move East through the night and theres more out West in Birmingham which we will get in a few hours :lol:

I'm struggling a little now at CV21.

Posted

imo andy it was moving north to north west, as the low sweeps away south east so will the precip. the heavy stuff will stop in about 30-45mins followed by moderate snow with probably smaller flakes for an hour before all clears away, the slight concern is if it turns back to rain on its back edge as per the bbc forecasts. with -4uppers and temps of 0 it shouldnt do but this fresh snow is very wet wudnt take alot to wash it away. im saying 5cms still anything more and its a bonus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!

Well done andy to be fair you have had many dissapointments since net weather began I am glad you are getting loads of snow! Enjoy!

Posted
What do you reckon i'll be like 6am time? Starting seeing sleet driving home from work outside MK about 6pm, turned to snow properly by 7.30pm and has been settling ever since. Surprised by how little snow has melted today (still over 5 inches undisturbed irrespective of the rain) here compared to around MK, where it was suffering this afternoon (being that bit further north, I don't think we had quite as much rain through the day, particularly this morning/early afternoon - it didn't start raining proper until 3pm in Rushden). Difficult to estimate amounts of fresh snow now as it is drifting signifcantly. Certainly in the region of > 2-3 inches by now.

Just slightly below freezing here, -0.2C at the minute.

Not sure mate. The BBC mentioned Northamptonshire in particular with regard to snowfall on their forecast just now but it did look like it turned to rain on its back edge. Hope that's wrong.

Posted
Biggest snow event I remember was the 40cm Leeds blizzard of 1995. That's as early as I can remember, but I have memories of wondering where the car had gone!!! Now THAT was snow.

OMG i remember that soooooooooooooooooooo well, got to 25cm here with drifting and blizzards, power outages, amazing! drifting up and down the street hehe, thats what im wanting now, not too botherd about the 2-5cm coverings lol :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
:D:D :lol: :D All those who say it snows more in Telford than Shrewsbury because of altitude: How the ****** HELL can it snow and stick in Peterborough while it's rainy sleet here? Peterborough is about 1mm above sea level if you include the foundations :D:doh:

Yes no real explanation for this ? , I think its turning more sleety here

ps I think your including some high foundation there

Heighest point in Peterborough is the 'your now leaving Peterborough' sign :lol:

Posted

Here we go, looking good is it not? :lol:

It's the same here but i'd say it was deeper here :D

Well done andy to be fair you have had many dissapointments since net weather began I am glad you are getting loads of snow! Enjoy!

Cheers mate :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
Really heavy here now, car are just getting through but are sliding abit, i'm uploading a youtube video to show you what it's like

This is amazing now CH.

Much better than i thought at teatime when it was still p*****g down. :lol:

Must have 4cms now.

Posted
:D:D :lol: :D All those who say it snows more in Telford than Shrewsbury because of altitude: How the ****** HELL can it snow and stick in Peterborough while it's rainy sleet here? Peterborough is about 1mm above sea level if you include the foundations :D:doh:

Your not missing out on much believe me.

Only about a 1cm has fallen generally and snow is fizzling out fast :lol: