Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The 'no Storms Club' 2009

I heard a few rumbles a few months ago, but i might have just been hungry.

Absolutely nowt up here but then a decent thunderstorm is a rarity in these parts.

When was the last time you saw lightning up there?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow
I've been waiting for a storm since around September last year, I really thought I would get one over the weekend, the 'Will it thunder?' page said like 56% for my area. And I was forecast 500-600j/kg of CAPE and -3 LI.

But nothing, the clouds came in dark, but there was only light rain, nothing else interesting <_<

Over the past 9 months I have had a few hail showers, but that is about it :)

But since it is June, does that mean I'm garaunteed to get a storm? I'm in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne.

I can't wait until I can leave this club :)

Where about in Newcastle are you? I witnessed a cracking storm yesterday (it wasn't overhead but there a was a brilliant display in the distance and this was enough to satisfy me! :) )

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
Where about in Newcastle are you? I witnessed a cracking storm yesterday (it wasn't overhead but there a was a brilliant display in the distance and this was enough to satisfy me! <_< )

The majority of the storms around the North East yesterday, were mainly situated towards Consett area, and Northumberland, and also high on the North Pennines, personally i think the rumbles i heard was from those storms, i think we was right on the very edge

I am disappointed, that nothing developed overhead, here in Newcastle, {typical North East]

Posted
Yesterdays clouds were beautiful especially later on when the twilight sun was shining on them,but not much rain fell out of them which were also some very reasonable CBs indeed.

I agree, and although the Bristol storm-shield is keeping me in the club for this year so far, I was rewarded for venturing out by some lovely views across the Severn estuary.

post-10001-1245168324_thumb.jpg

I agree, and although the Bristol storm-shield is keeping me in the club for this year so far, I was rewarded for venturing out by some lovely views across the Severn estuary.

post-10001-1245168324_thumb.jpg

At least the day wasn't a complete loss <_<

Posted
The majority of the storms around the North East yesterday, were mainly situated towards Consett area, and Northumberland, and also high on the North Pennines, personally i think the rumbles i heard was from those storms, i think we was right on the very edge

I am disappointed, that nothing developed overhead, here in Newcastle, {typical North East]

Cooler, drier air being wafted in from the coast basically stabilised conditions ahead of the storms causing rapid dissipation and downdraughts ahead of them. This resulted in a lot of them just raining themselves out before reaching this far east, and in my case - only light rain falling here. This is to be expected when we have an easterly, ENE or NE sea-breeze bringing in cooler air into the coastal regions up to 5-10 miles inland. If the low level wind-convergence zone was oriented NW-SE it would've been more conducive, I think.

A better synoptic setup would be just to have a strong cold-front moving in to an unstable subtopical airmass bringing in explosive thunderstorms for all of the coastal regions. The more organised, rapidly moving storms from such systems (e.g. 31st August 2005?) tend to penetrate into the North Sea and rain themselves out just off the coast (since they are not dependent purely on a slack upper trough and solar heating fuelling convection induced by low-level wind convergence zones).

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yes, 31st August 2005 was a classic "Spanish plume" event and delivered thunderstorms to most of the country, with Tyne & Wear/Durham being one of the heaviest hit areas. Leeds (where I was at the time) also got hit full-on. The Atlantic front moving east coincides with storms moving in off the continent and/or homegrown storms over the UK.

Posted
Yes, 31st August 2005 was a classic "Spanish plume" event and delivered thunderstorms to most of the country, with Tyne & Wear/Durham being one of the heaviest hit areas. Leeds (where I was at the time) also got hit full-on. The Atlantic front moving east coincides with storms moving in off the continent and/or homegrown storms over the UK.

The Tyne&Wear coastal strip witnessed some very nice lightning displays and some torrential rain on the coast. Interestingly however, the storm was very tame indeed as it passed over Durham City with only two flashes of overhead lightning and intermittant moderate rain. It always seems to be that Durham City helps to attract weakening-points in precipitation bands regardless of their convective origin. I'm not sure whether its the bowl-shaped morphology of the area, combining with wind-field interactions that draw warm-moist air away from encoraching bands at the periphery. Will probably require some thorough research.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

For the storm-starved (which i must say I am as my storm was nothing like this one!) here's a 16 minute video of a storm in Essex yesterday evening:

http://withamwx.com/storm150609_0001.wmv

Shut the curtains, close your eyes, sit back and listen to those rumbles :D

Posted

Sorry if this has already been asked, but i don't have enough time to read the whole thread. Is there anything on the way that looks a little promising?? I'm fed up of seeing these storms breed here, only to show somewhere else the finished product. It's great to hear about them, but would be even better to witness one.

Posted
For the storm-starved (which i must say I am as my storm was nothing like this one!) here's a 16 minute video of a storm in Essex yesterday evening:

Shut the curtains, close your eyes, sit back and listen to those rumbles :D

great vid, liked the CG at 14.12 and loud crack of thunder shortly after, could hear kids screaming in the distance :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Shut the curtains, close your eyes, sit back and listen to those rumbles :)

Great shots of lightning in this one.Thanks for sharing MW :)

Sorry if this has already been asked, but i don't have enough time to read the whole thread. Is there anything on the way that looks a little promising?? I'm fed up of seeing these storms breed here, only to show somewhere else the finished product. It's great to hear about them, but would be even better to witness one.

Hi jo,

I am not sure when the next lot of storms are due! but I hope it's soon.It seems Cheltenham also happens to be a breeding ground for storms to hit further East. :)

Posted

It looks like the rain shield will be broken here very soon :) all thats left then

is the storm shield :lol: :rolleyes:

Posted
It looks like the rain shield will be broken here very soon :) all thats left then

is the storm shield :lol: :rolleyes:

Don't give up yet! we may get some storms next Tuesday :)

Posted
Don't give up yet! we may get some storms next Tuesday :D

Hopefully :D some much needed rain here currently for the garden :shok:

Posted
Where about in Newcastle are you? I witnessed a cracking storm yesterday (it wasn't overhead but there a was a brilliant display in the distance and this was enough to satisfy me! :D )

EH!??!? I live in South Gosforth, that is like 1 mile away, how did that happen?!?!? I'm sure storms just avoid me on purpose!!!

I used to live in High Heaton, on Holystone Crescent, where abouts in High Heaton are you?

Oh, and here is proof that stuff avoids me:

post-9267-1245278744_thumb.png

Posted
EH!??!? I live in South Gosforth, that is like 1 mile away, how did that happen?!?!? I'm sure storms just avoid me on purpose!!!

I used to live in High Heaton, on Holystone Crescent, where abouts in High Heaton are you?

Oh, and here is proof that stuff avoids me:

I know the feeling, I live just up the road from you, and we was on the edge of the Consett storm,

I live up in North Kenton , not a million miles away from the Jubilee pub, My daughter lives on Killingworth road in South Gosforth

Its a very small world!

nigel

Posted

Ah, I drive(I'm not the driver btw <_< ) past that pub every Sunday. Its annoying how much the weather can change in just a couple of miles :)

Posted

Hey!!! everybody in the No Storms Club :)

I know it's early yet to say...but we could have storms on Friday :D

Please don't blame me if I've jinxed it now lol :D

Posted
Hey!!! everybody in the No Storms Club :)

I know it's early yet to say...but we could have storms on Friday :)

Please don't blame me if I've jinxed it now lol :D

yes its looking pretty good for your area but not mine :D yet again! lol, are you still in the no storms club then? if so have you at least heard distant rumbles or seen distant flashes? ive not heard a dickie bird all year grrrr lol.

Posted
yes its looking pretty good for your area but not mine :D yet again! lol, are you still in the no storms club then? if so have you at least heard distant rumbles or seen distant flashes? ive not heard a dickie bird all year grrrr lol.

Hi Mark, :)

I will still be managing the NSC but I sadly have to say that I still have not experienced a proper storm yet.I have heard faint distant thunder but nothing that close :)

Poor you :) Your time will come and I bet it'll be out of the blue :) Those storms are the best :D

Posted
I know it's early yet to say...but we could have storms on Friday :yahoo:

Please don't blame me if I've jinxed it now lol :whistling:

I'll blame you :whistling: Were due a good storm, so hopefully it's sooner rather than later :good:

Posted
I'll blame you :whistling: Were due a good storm, so hopefully it's sooner rather than later :yahoo:

Who me :whistling: lol

Let's hope it's sooner. :good:

Edited by Jane Louise