Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The 'no Storms Club' 2009

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

This weekend is looking good for storms in my area!! :D but I certainly aint holding my breath lol :lol:

Posted

Just showers, maybe sharp ones, Jane.

I've had a thought actually, Jane. If you do get a storm, will you resign from this thread? Like current politics, will you pass the baton on to the next poor unlucky stormless one?

If so, I'm nominating Nigel. (Stormchaser1)

:lol:

Phil.

Posted
Just showers, maybe sharp ones, Jane.

I've had a thought actually, Jane. If you do get a storm, will you resign from this thread? Like current politics, will you pass the baton on to the next poor unlucky stormless one?

If so, I'm nominating Nigel. (Stormchaser1)

:D

Phil.

Aww,and I was really hoping for a storm lol.

Well Phil, I have a feeling I am going to be rrunning this thread for quite a long time yet Lol.. I actually started a 2008 one to! Mind you Last year I only had a couple rumbles of thunder and a few flashes of lightning. To me I would class a storm as being an hour or more long.The best storms were in 2003 here in Glos and it's gone downhill ever since then.

When I lived in Plymouth ( I am a Janner LOL) about 9 years ago we used to get many storms,but I hear they don't get them to much now either.

Good question. What about when almost everyone has had a storm but there is like one other person who hasn't, do they just moan by themselves in a corner :lol: .

Anyway I thought Jane had already got a storm, I mean there was late April and during the middle of May as well. They really are hit and miss :D

Yes, they have to moan in the corner by themselves It will probably be me lol

Storms don't happen here much anymore weather09.

I wouldn't say that I'm in the midlands, as Phil mentioned back along when I asked him where Glos is,he said SW midlands.The Met Office say SW England. So I guess we're sort of stuck in the middle.

I'd like to live in Worcestershire by the Malverns.They always get a good storm there and quite frequent. But here in Cheltenham it has been really bad for storms.We usually have one as early as May 12th,but nothing has happened here so far this year. :(

Posted

got to be honest Im feeling storm starved but feel guilty saying that now :D

if only i could get a flight out to the states :lol:

if..if i could win the lottery

Edited by dogs32

Posted
got to be honest Im feeling storm starved but feel guilty saying that now :(

if only i could get a flight out to the states :lol:

if..if i could win the lottery

Yep know what you mean - Have not seen a Decent Storm since the 30th May :D:D

Posted

I agree, Shermy. You haven't seen a good UK storm since 30th May. :lol:

Phil.

Posted
Yep know what you mean - Have not seen a Decent Storm since the 30th May :lol: :D

you know I was addicted before this year......now all can think about is Supercells :D

its like a drug

Posted

The last prolonged overhead storm here in blackpool was early august 2003, apart from that just a few distant rumbles and faint flashes so im pretty storm starved. GFS not looking too good for me in the near future, still, all could change. I wonder if they have a no storms club thread in Americas mid west. :winky:

Posted
The last prolonged overhead storm here in blackpool was early august 2003, apart from that just a few distant rumbles and faint flashes so im pretty storm starved. GFS not looking too good for me in the near future, still, all could change. I wonder if they have a no storms club thread in Americas mid west. :winky:

Sounds like it here Mark lol

Now, I am pretty sure there is not a 'no storms club' anywhere else in the world except for the UK lol

Posted
I agree, Shermy. You haven't seen a good UK storm since 30th May. :winky:

Phil.

Actually I cant even get into this Club as we got 2 Thunderstorms on the 15th & 16th April. But yes Phil it has been a long time since what I would rate a decent Uk Storm - Namely 6th August 2008!

Grrr

Posted

Now, does anybody know where I can download a good desktop weather or firefox application. I have tried some but they were rubbish lol.My weather station is at home as I'm in the middle of moving soon for the 18th time grrr lol. My wind vane is still stuck on the roof. I would like a program on my laptop to keep an eye on dewpoints,humidity and temps for when a storm is due.

Posted
Actually I cant even get into this Club as we got 2 Thunderstorms on the 15th & 16th April. But yes Phil it has been a long time since what I would rate a decent Uk Storm - Namely 6th August 2008!

Grrr

that was one of the best storms I have ever witnessed, and was the last overhead storm here. Constant fork lightning every few seconds for what seemed like hours (10pm - midnight) and very torrential rain - perfect! :winky:

Posted

Hi Jane Louise.

Closest I can find is...

Cheltenham/Gloucestershire Random Weather Stations

I'm sure that if you look carefully enough, there 'should' be a gadget download, unless this app has been removed.

(Worked for me in 2004 for Solihull anyway!)

Good luck. :winky:

Phil.

Edited by Phil UK

Posted
Hi Jane Louise.

Closest I can find is...

Cheltenham/Gloucestershire Random Weather Stations

I'm sure that if you look carefully enough, there 'should' be a gadget download, unless this app has been removed.

(Worked for me in 2004 for Solihull anyway!)

Good luck. :winky:

Phil.

Thanks Phil :)

I think the only gadget they have is the windows sidebar.It didn't find Cheltenham though.The site is spot on for what I need to know,so Ive now bookmarked it. Thanks again.

It even mentiond on the page chance of a thunderstorm on Saturday!but we will see lol

Posted

This is mainly for the Storm Deprived in the North and North East and shows that we can get that rare beast the Supercell!!

Theses are from 2nd and 3rd July 1968 and is associated with some Supercellular Activity on these days.

Found this info over on Ukww!

http://rememberwhen.gazettelive.co.uk/2008..._july_2_19.html

41 Years ago, a brief very hot (for that period!) spell was associated with unusually severe storms across the west and north of England and Wales.

At the surface, there was a slow moving frontal zone across W Britain, while E to SE winds were advecting hot surface air (33C in London) into SE England. At 500 mbar there were strong SSW winds ahead of a deep upper trough. A shallow surface depression over NW France on 1st drifted north into central England on 2nd, subsequently deepening as it continued N.

A succession of thunderstorms affected western and Northern parts of England and Wales. Storms moved SSW-NNE on 1st and SW-NE on 2nd. For instance an observer at Shrewsbury, having observed seven separate storms during the 1st and the early morning of 2nd commented on his reports “I give up!” Nine hail events reached the severe (H3+) category with four swaths of hail damage over 50km long…..some highlights noted below

On the morning of 1st. West Somerset and South Wales were battered by hailstones over 50mm dia between 10 and 11am. At Exebridge and Dulverton (Somerset) hailstones measured at 50mm diameter; cars were dented and greenhouses smashed.

At Minehead (Somerset) hailstones 50 to 65 mm diameter were measured by the TCO observer. There was extensive damage to greenhouses in the town.

At Cardiff Airport (Glamorgan) hailstones were measured at 75mm by 60mm across

At Pontypridd (Glamorgan), cars were dented and windows broken.

In the Early-mid afternoon of 1st, in Cornwall, at St Dennis and St Stephen (Near St Austell) windows were broken by hailstones the size of billiard balls, up to 50mm across

On the evening of 1st, at Burnley/Colne Valley (Lancashire), hailstones (“golf balls”) smashed greenhouses and dented cars.

On the early am of 2nd

(circa 0100-0115). The Slapton area of Devon was hit by hailstones 50mm across or more, with enormous destruction of glass, The local press reported that the village “looked as if every cricket ball in creation had been hurled at its windows!” Many glasshouses were reduced to wooden frames, walls were pitted, roof tiles broken and corrugated iron pierced. Similar damage was reported from Blackhawton and Torcross.

Circa 0400-0500 on 2nd, Shropshire was hit. In the Telford/Wellington area Golf ball size hailstones totally demolished greenhouses, dented cars and broke windows.

Later on 2nd (Mid-late morning). A severe hailstorm moved from Cheshire and Manchester NE across West and North Yorkshire to Teesside, 125km swath. In Huddersfield and Liversedge, windows were smashed. Great damage to glasshouses occurred in Harrogate, Knaresborough and Nidderdale. At Yeadon, near Leeds, hailstones were piled 45cm deep. At Leeming 41mm of rain was reported in 9 minutes, while Huddersfield recorded 28mm in 20 minutes.

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Grrr

I was a bit of a jammy sod in August 2008. The Met Office's thunder frequency maps show a clearly defined maximum just north of Norwich, with 6 thunder-days at UEA, while almost all other areas had just 1 to 3 days.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
This is mainly for the Storm Deprived in the North and North East and shows that we can get that rare beast the Supercell!!

Theses are from 2nd and 3rd July 1968 and is associated with some Supercellular Activity on these days.

Paul S

Although i was only 4 yrs old i can remember this quite vividly as it was the year we had to be rehoused because the terraced upper flat we lived in was almost completely destroyed by the chimney stack blown down in ferocious winds earlier that year. The thunderstorm turned day into night and the thunder was incredibly loud so much so that the shock i got caused the tomato soup i was enjoying to come flying out of my nose..!!!

Posted

Right,

I do not want to jinx this again lol! but it looks like I may have a storm either Sunday or Tuesday! but as we all know it will most probably change by then grrrrr :D

Posted
Right,

I do not want to jinx this again lol! but it looks like I may have a storm either Sunday or Tuesday! but as we all know it will most probably change by then grrrrr :D

Fingers crossed hey? :D It looks like my area could be seeing lots of rain over the weekend :o

Posted

It's still looking good for tommorow :D (here we go again lol)

Take a look here http://ukasf.co.uk/module-Storm/

Regions Affected

East Anglia, Southeast England, Central Southern England, West Country, South & East Midlands ( Wales, SW England, N England, Northern Ireland and the remaining Midlands are all included in the WATCH

Synopsis

A stationary occlusion continues to affect the UK during Sunday, continuing with the high rainfall totals theme. During the early hours of the morning, steady and heavy rainfall will continue to fall across parts of southern England and south Wales. Showers, heavy and perhaps thundery may clip parts of the Southwest at times. During the day the band of heavy rain will drift slowly northwards across the Midlands and into southern parts of Northern England later in the day, before clearing into the North Sea. In it's wake, scattered showers and thunderstorms are forecast to develop, particularly during the afternoon and first part of the evening. Torrential downpours may accompany any showers, and hail is also quite likely. Conditions for funnels and tornadoes are too marginal with the current available data - this will require close monitoring during Sunday. Showers will be fairly slow moving, accompanied by gusty winds at times. Any showers and thunderstorms are expected to decrease slowly during the evening. Scattered showers are expected to develop over Scotland, Ireland and Northern Ireland, but these currently have a low risk of thundery activity.

Hopefully I may have to resign myself from here tommorow (although of course I will still continue the threadand try and cheer up those without the storms)

But I tell you what!! I probably have now gone and jinxed it again lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Am liking this at the moment! :D

Posted

Well im still in the no storms club :lol: even with all the heavy rain today grrrrrrr nothing... I don't :lol: believe it ..

lol kaz x

Posted

No storms,not even any rain this weekend :) I don't think i'll be ever leaving

this club unless my luck changes :)

Posted
No storms,not even any rain this weekend :D I don't think i'll be ever leaving

this club unless my luck changes :D

I may be in luck! it's looking very promising out there at the moment :D

Posted
I may be in luck! it's looking very promising out there at the moment :(

I hope you get a decent storm today :( It's been a very frustrating few days here :(

It's very dark here but nothing happening :(