Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The 'no Storms Club' 2009

Posted
I may be in luck! it's looking very promising out there at the moment :lol:

Any luck then Jane?, must say i'm surprised you havant got a storm yet considering you live in an inland spot and therefore any convective days we had, the likely hood of you seeing some lightning must be pretty good i would of thought.

No storms here, looks like i'm going to be one of those who will see one good storm this year if i'm lucky.

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

I second that one

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D
Any luck then Jane?, must say i'm surprised you havant got a storm yet considering you live in an inland spot and therefore any convective days we had, the likely hood of you seeing some lightning must be pretty good i would of thought.

No storms here, looks like i'm going to be one of those who will see one good storm this year if i'm lucky.

Hi Geordie,

No such luck! I can hardly believe it myself.Storms around here usually start as early as May and still nothing has happened! seems very strange.The sky looked just right today and it felt so stormy,but all we ended up with is light rain :D

All I can say if anybody knows why this is happening I'd be very curious to know.

Posted
Hi Geordie,

No such luck! I can hardly believe it myself.Storms around here usually start as early as May and still nothing has happened! seems very strange.The sky looked just right today and it felt so stormy,but all we ended up with is light rain :huh:

All I can say if anybody knows why this is happening I'd be very curious to know.

You must have the Cheltenham storm shield over your location then, you have my sympathies as i know the feeling of storms failing to deliver.

Still i prefer to be down there than up here, storms have got the Durham storm shield and the Tyne and Wear storm shield befora any storms can break out here.

Far to early to say of course but could i see more lightning in winter this year than summer(recorded 2 lightning strikes in winter during snow showers)? If so, that will tell you how bad it is up here.

Posted

No storms here yet this year either. Its quite unusual to get to June without any, but the wind has been easterly so often that its not suprising.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
You must have the Cheltenham storm shield over your location then, you have my sympathies as i know the feeling of storms failing to deliver.

Still i prefer to be down there than up here, storms have got the Durham storm shield and the Tyne and Wear storm shield befora any storms can break out here.

Far to early to say of course but could i see more lightning in winter this year than summer(recorded 2 lightning strikes in winter during snow showers)? If so, that will tell you how bad it is up here.

I don't think I've seen that achieved in Cleadon in a calendar year, but I think the 12-month period December 2000 to November 2001 might have just managed it. There was one lightning strike in a snowstorm on 29 December 2000 and several of them in a dramatic hail/sleet shower early on the 8th November 2001. Otherwise the only two storms were on 16 May 2001 (1 strike) and 15 August (several strikes, but distant as opposed to the overhead ones of November 2001).

That said it is rare for an entire summer to pass without thunderstorms in Tyne & Wear and August is probably the thunderiest month on average.

Posted

I think the last proper thunderstorm I had here was last summer during that warm period, so far this year everything has missed me and I heard that there was a storm in Manchester less than an hour before I went down there on Friday, a storm which missed my current area..

Posted

im under a dome i tell e.. i have heavy rain to the left right above but nothing even near me thought i was in for a good chance today but sadly still going to be a member of this club for a while yet :p

kaz x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Another let down day!

Our chances don't look great until the Jet stream gets its act together and rockets North to allow us some of the warm/humid air!

As it stands, I find temperatures in the mid teens for June offensive lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Still in the no storms club, really hoped today was the day.

Posted

Only light rain today and a couple rumbles of thunder.Didn't see no lightning tho!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Look at my signature and you can see that for the last few years I have been really lucky thunderstorm wise. I'm well and truly still a member of the club this year though!

Posted

Hardly any rain here in the last few weeks, and everywhere is very dry :)

forget the storm shield there must be a rain shield here :) :lol: :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Today, 10th June - Another letdown.

Today's forecast - widespread showers with a good chance of thunder. Like Sunday 7th - another day of large cumulus with signs of development but all the action quickly dying off as another area of rain moves up the English Channel and misses this area (and much of the extreme S.E., for which it was forecast). Convection is killed off with the veil of altostratus from this area of rain. Verdict - no storms, again.

Tomorrow's forecast - the showers will be less widespread and less thundery than today. Any hope of anything dashed yet again and more waiting no doubt.

Summer 2009, as has much of the spring, has been thoroughly boring and uneventful - rain always seems to be in small quantities yet the heavier showers always seem to pass by just to the north and any prolonged potentially thundery rain always seems to clip the Kent area.

Today is yet another example of this as has been the last few days - I am getting a constant feeling of deja vu as this boring pattern keeps repeating.

Summer last year was cr*p for thunder as well and was the first year that I did not witness any decent storm in the whole year.

However, summer 2008 had been preceded by a reasonably good winter and April for thunder so one may have expected a compensatory quiet summer to follow.

In the last 9 months I have only heard thunder on 1 day, Wednesday 15th April (this was not severe or especially remarkable). There being no thunder at all in the precedeing autumn or winter followed by a quiet spring should surely lead to a bit more excitement in the summer?

The way things are going, despite summer being "unsettled", with this part of S.E. / Southern England missing the action every time - it looks like I will be a member of this club for quite a while yet.

Posted
i would like to join. my forcefield travels with me!

I think we will be stuck in this club for a long time :)

Posted
Still in the no storms club, really hoped today was the day.

Well, I'm with you up here in Bristol! All we had yesterday was a heavy shower with no thunder :( .

This is my very first post, so I hope to be a bit more upbeat in future! :(

Posted
Well, I'm with you up here in Bristol! All we had yesterday was a heavy shower with no thunder :) .

This is my very first post, so I hope to be a bit more upbeat in future! :)

Welcome wildrover. :) Let's hope you don't remain in the NSC all summer, like the rest of us so far!

Posted

I'm still here. Promised all for the Midlands yesterday, delivered nothing. (Apart from a short spell of moderate rain at 3pm then again just after dark).

Much more of this then I'll have to consider requesting a lifetime membership.

Phil.