Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Chase 2010 - Heads Up..

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Hello,

Just introducing myself as Trevor Mitchell, the last member of tour one. Booked up a couple of weeks ago, and i am ridiculously excited about going. I have read the stormchase forums enviously the last couple of years, but i am finally able to afford to go. I very rarely post on here, but lurk on the forums regularly.

I am by no means an expert on thunderstorms or supercells, but i know a bit. I used to be scared of them when i was younger, but i love them now. I am also interested in hurricanes, and snow, of course!

I live and work in Norwich, but i am currently re-taking a-levels with the aim of studying Meteorology at university.

I have already started making plans for this trip. I have not been abroad for eighteen years and have never flown alone, but i am already counting down the days.

I look forward to speaking to you all, and meeting some of you!

Hi Trevor

Nice to have you on board. You will not be flying alone, the plane will be full of people. Only kidding :) ! If you let me know when you are flying out I am sure that someone else will be going out on the same flight. British Airways have a sale on at the moment, so do American Airlines. I must say that the Great Plains is a good lab to study meteorology. I will look forward to meeting up with you. Don't forget your on line Visa and your travel insurance.

Tom Lynch

Posted

Cheers,

I have to apply for a passport soon as i don't want to be worrying about that next year. Sorted travel insurance yesterday with Go Walkabout as someone recommended i think. I have yet to sort my flights out, although i imagine BA are a bit confused as to why people keep booking to fly to Dallas!

Posted

Cheers,

I have to apply for a passport soon as i don't want to be worrying about that next year. Sorted travel insurance yesterday with Go Walkabout as someone recommended i think. I have yet to sort my flights out, although i imagine BA are a bit confused as to why people keep booking to fly to Dallas!

Ok well

I booked with that insurance company and they must be alright because I arrived home safe and sound. However you will need your passport especially when you book your on line visa. As for BA well most of their staff still remember JR Ewing and I am certain you will not know what I am talking about.

Tom

Posted

You will not be flying alone, the plane will be full of people.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Bloody hell, I miss Tom.

Welcome Trevor, looking forward to meeting you over there. You WILL have the time of your life.

Posted

:rolleyes::):)

Bloody hell, I miss Tom.

Welcome Trevor, looking forward to meeting you over there. You WILL have the time of your life.

Hecky thump old chap I couldn't agree more, it is all part of the bigger picture, called storm chasing.

Tom

Posted

Well I have gone and done it. I have my flights booked for next chase season and I am flying the flag, BA. I couldn't resist, BA have a sale on. and I am a sucker for the "Only 3 seats left at this price" trick. I just have to find a way to let my wife know that I have spent some of her hard earned money on my flights. I have to say that BA treated us well this year so have no problem flying with them. I need to find my online visa ref and sort out my insurance.

post-2466-12523591203637_thumb.jpg

Evening supercell in Texas

post-2466-1252359596368_thumb.jpg

After the storm, Childress Texas

Tom

Edited by Tom Lynch

Posted

Just going to check prices now but need to double check, Tour 2 flys out on 8th and returns on the 19th?

How much did your flights cost Tom?

Edited by Smokes

Posted

There you go Arron - All in the Link below

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=other;type=stormchase;sess=

So fly out on 8th May - The tour starts and runs for 10 days from the 9th until 18th May and fly home on the 19th May!

Cheers

Paul S

Posted

Just going to check prices now but need to double check, Tour 2 flys out on 8th and returns on the 19th?

How much did your flights cost Tom?

Hi there

My flights cost me £403, If I had booked a week earlier with Opodo I could have got it for £393 and I think American Airlines were around that price too. However I enjoyed the BA flight the staff were nice and they didn't charge for the drinks, the small bottles of wine at £3.50 each could add more to the cost of the flight. I am told that there could be another sale between Christmas and New Year but i am too impatient to wait until then.

Tom

There you go Arron - All in the Link below

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=other;type=stormchase;sess=

So fly out on 8th May - The tour starts and runs for 10 days from the 9th until 18th May and fly home on the 19th May!

Cheers

Paul S

Why hello Paul

You have been quiet. Have you been back in the Priory. :lol:

Tom

Posted

Cheers Tom, flew with AA this year and hated it, so will be going with BA this year. Think I'll wait till the new year as Laura needs to sort out her stay at Kansas :)

Posted

Cheers Tom, flew with AA this year and hated it, so will be going with BA this year. Think I'll wait till the new year as Laura needs to sort out her stay at Kansas :)

Hi Arron

Wasn't going to say too much about AA in case I ever need to go with them again but the last time I flew with them the pilot was out kicking the tyres on the plane to check the pressure. I said "how long does it take to get to Oklahoma City?" He said " don't know , never made it yet." :blink:

Posted

Updated as of September 10th

Amazingly and Unfortunately another Member has had to drop out of Next Years Tours and this is on Tour 1 - So sad to hear that Karl Mehlhorn (Snowbie) Has had to drop out for Personal Reasons - This now leaves 1 Space again up for grabs

Staff Members in Red!

Tour 1 - 27th April to 8th May - 1 SPACE REMAINING

---------------

Paul Sherman - Driver and Barons Operator

Paul Michaelwhite - Driver and Technical

John Hanrahan - Driver, GPS and Technical

Tom Lynch - Driver, Forecaster and Barons Operator

Andrew Paisley - (AndyP)

Harry Hill - (Harry)

Ian Pickering - (Anyweather)

Stuart Squires - (Stu London)

Trevor Mitchell

Tour 2 - 8th May to 19th May - SOLD OUT

--------------

Ian Cameron - GPS & Technical

Tom Lynch - Driver and Forecaster

Arron Hiscox - (Smokes)

Danny Watson - (wiganweather.com)

David Vicary

Joanna Fulcher - (Clippyjo)

Mark Pritchard - (MCT)

Pat Carter - (dogs32)

Peter Hulbert - (gpspete)

Tour 3 - 19th May to 30th May - SOLD OUT

--------------

Ian Cameron - GPS and Technical

Nick Finnis - Driver and Forecaster

Craig Hough - (craig1uk)

Darren Davies

Pat Carter - (dogs32)

Quentin Hordle - (dorsetbred)

Maxine Hordle

Stewart - (Audmun)

Clare Hudson

Tour 4 - 30th May to 10th June - 2/5 Spaces Left

---------------

Staff - (TBC)

Scott Haynes - (Scott86)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is 1 Space left on Tour 1 as at 10th September 2009.

Tour 4 has 2/5 Spaces left - We may add an additional Car to this tour if more demand becomes apparant over the next 8 months.

If this is the case another Staff member / Driver will be needed also for this tour.

Regards

Paul Sherman

Posted

thx for the update Paul..Realy looking forward to this..

You never know might get lucky and go on the last chase

Going to leave my flights to the last minute...well February like last year..

Last year in Feb it cost me £334 with AA....

Posted

Dont go with AA :blink: Went with them last year and although the cheapest, were pretty awful. Hoping to get flights with ba in Jan for around 350 notes :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Dont go with AA :blink: Went with them last year and although the cheapest, were pretty awful. Hoping to get flights with ba in Jan for around 350 notes :yahoo:

I didn't think AA were that bad, but then again it was my first time flying so I had nothing to compare with.

The plane on the way back seemed old though, and there were no screens in the seats. And we weren't lucky enough to get a free upgrade like a certain someone :blink:

Think i'll wait until January again to book my flights.

This time in 8 months... :blink:

Can't wait!

Dont go with AA blink.gif Went with them last year and although the cheapest, were pretty awful. Hoping to get flights with ba in Jan for around 350 notes yahoo.gif

Sorry about the gap in the last post I was trying to insert utube lightning video.

The cost of flights for next year are high at the moment.

Danny.

Posted

I had AA last year and had no problem...

Dont care about the free booze on the flights with BA..

Im still going to wait until Jan/Feb as the prices can shoot down then

Posted

So sad to hear that Karl Mehlhorn (Snowbie) Has had to drop out for Personal Reasons -

Thats a pity Karl cant come. I know he was realy looking forward to it and would have loved it.

Edited by John Hanrahan

Posted

So sad to hear that Karl Mehlhorn (Snowbie) Has had to drop out for Personal Reasons -

Thats a pity Karl cant come. I know he was realy looking forward to it and would have loved it.

Cheers John and Paul.

Absolutely gutted tbh. :yahoo:

Posted

does anyone know the link where I can find the photo shoot of all participants of tour 1

Taken with dogs and Bertha in the background....

With oil riggs pictures on the fence..

Cant seem to find it but was posted up in the Chase threads...

Anyone know?

Posted

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/54842-report-pictures-day-4/

Pat

Reports and Pictures Chase day 4 which was the start of an eventful day around the Texas Panhandle.

Cheers

Paul S

Posted

excellent Paul...many thanks..

Now I have pic from tour 2 as well from Ross..

That was a real good day as things kicked off big time later...good days :cc_confused:

get over xmas and it will be countdown all over again :yahoo: