Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Risk Discussion Part 3

Posted

ok

Their is a browse tab below the field where you write a message, then once you have the photo you require, click the upload button next to the browse button

Job done.

The shower that just passed through few minits ago.

post-9173-1243347747_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

A few fairly potent cells being blown along on a strong westerly wind now effecting my part of the country.

Ignore the huge Anaprop which ive circled.

Edited by NL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
lightning strikes plotted onto a map:

http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/

Thanks - detected, I assume, like this:

Wikipedia link

Posted
Does anyone remember Sun. 31st Aug 2008? Yesterday reminds me very much of that day. An unforecast MCS, extra cloud cover, lower temps than forecast and what was originally forecast to be widespread, locally severe, storms became a few flashes of lightning over Norfolk. And of course the MetO and BBC overhyped it for several days beforehand 8)

Yes I remember that date. Thunderstorms were actually approaching here in the early hours of the morning a lot further west than forecast and there were some flashes over the channel and distant thunder audible from here before they died out to just give a short spell of light - moderate rain as they came over us... It almost gave the first decent 'summer plume type' thunderstorm here since 2006!

I actually happend to save a Net Weather Extra radar image for some reason..

post-7593-1243349229_thumb.png

(Hope Paul doesn't mind)

Reading the storm chase threads this year and last year ive seen its not just us that can sometimes get problems with forecasting an MCS and extra cloud cover.

Edited by StormMad26

Posted
Does anyone remember Sun. 31st Aug 2008? Yesterday reminds me very much of that day. An unforecast MCS, extra cloud cover, lower temps than forecast and what was originally forecast to be widespread, locally severe, storms became a few flashes of lightning over Norfolk. And of course the MetO and BBC overhyped it for several days beforehand 8)

I should be able to remember that, but I can't.

Posted

The MetO radar suggests that's it for you, weathercoxy. Looks like there are some heavy showers west of London ATM?

Posted
A few fairly potent cells being blown along on a strong westerly wind now effecting my part of the country.

Ignore the huge Anaprop which ive circled.

One of those showers cells hit us around 20mins ago, pretty heavy with quite large hail mixed in aswell, last just around 5 mins though sadly.

Posted
The MetO radar suggests that's it for you, weathercoxy. Looks like there are some heavy showers west of London ATM?

There looks like we could get 1 more as the www.raintoday.co.uk radar suggests and getting dark to the west again!

Posted
There looks like we could get 1 more as the www.raintoday.co.uk radar suggests and getting dark to the west again!

Ooh, that site's new to me - thanks! 8)

Posted

Heavy shower number 4 has arrived and heavyest one so far!

OMG its a v blustery one

Posted
One of those showers cells hit us around 20mins ago, pretty heavy with quite large hail mixed in aswell, last just around 5 mins though sadly.

Yes, i went onto the hills and got a few photos of those cells, pretty impressive stuff and fantastic mammatus to boot..!! No

thunder/lightning though......again..!!! Will post them up after a hot cup of coffee, damn cold when those cells went overhead and bombarded with hail on my motorbike, was'nt fun either..!!! Stormchasing on motorcycles...not a good idea... 8)

Posted

A very possibly torriential downpour just passed giving alot or rain in seconds and its gone v windy now and its starting to get heavy again.

Posted

The shower that gave torriential rain blustery winds and some hail mixed in.

post-9173-1243354812_thumb.jpg

post-9173-1243354858_thumb.jpg

post-9173-1243354932_thumb.jpg

post-9173-1243355159_thumb.jpg

Edited by weathercoxy

Posted

Very nice images Sir! Looks like there has been a fairly hefty shower passing along the North Norfolk coast in the last half hour.

Again I'm at work in the Irish Sea, off the coast near Ross Bay in SW Scotland.

Some heavy showers with haill up tp 1/2 inch with gusting winds up to 40 knots, winds speeds taken from the bridges odometer around 1330 BST.

As I type another heavy shower is looming, cloud structure and heights look nothing like the earlier ones.

Posted
Again I'm at work in the Irish Sea, off the coast near Ross Bay in SW Scotland.

Some heavy showers with haill up tp 1/2 inch with gusting winds up to 40 knots, winds speeds taken from the bridges odometer around 1330 BST.

As I type another heavy shower is looming, cloud structure and heights look nothing like the earlier ones.

Is Ross Bay anywhere near Stranraer? If so, I can see the showers on the radar.

Posted

Some neat pics there. Very typical post cold front day for our region with a brisk, gusty WNW wind, plenty of sunshine and fast moving sharp showers developing near the Bristol Channel and heading across the Mendips/Bath/down the M4 corridor.

Posted

Disappointing here with regards to any storm activity in the past 24 hours... the first multi-cell yesterday evening that was initially electrical over Kent and Essex spoilt the evening sunshine with all the high and medium level cloud. Then you just knew you would get the dregs of the imports and a wet night, which it turned out to be. That killed off the prospects for proper home grown storms. The dregs of the heaviest stuff passed through about 9am today and overcast until about lunchtime, followed by a few hit and miss small showers late afternoon. Most noticable has been the return of the breeze, which i'm growing tiresome of - having just redone the shed roof after it blew off earlier this month. Despite the drop in temperature it would have been a pleasant afternoon otherwise.

However, i'm much more optimistic of the 3-4 fine days followed by a storm pattern setting in this summer with high pressure never far away and the odd Spanish plume.