Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted
Genius :clap:

In reply to glideslope... I don't think theres much CAPE around at all for those storms to continue going over the next few hours, I think they will start to lose intensity.

Many thanks Andy :clap: was looking at cape overlay on the NW radar.

Steve

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
why would the moon appear orange at this time of night? most unusual.

Its down to either high levels of pollution in the stagnant humid air, or there are microscopic sand particles in the atmospere that have come from northern africa / sahara. If it rains and then everything has a thin coating of dust it'll be sand particles.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.
Can confirm thunder to the SE of my position...it's on its way to you Paul.

Happy days. It can't be that far from you Carl can it? The radar 15 mins ago had it only a few miles away from Wrexham.

Posted
That'll be to your ESE. There's a cell moving North Westwards that's heading my way. Should be here in half an hour or so.

Is it worth staying up then? how are you tracking this cell?

Posted
Nice shot.

Thanks! Glad I took it when I did, it's just disappeared. It was pretty low but nowhere near setting, so I guess the tops of the incoming front must have obscured it. What height do you think these storms are hitting right now?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder & Lightning, Snow, Wind

Wow, some impressive noise on the radio (AM) really loud clear pops almost constantly!

Happy days!!!

Posted

lol i just noticed it's gone midnight and theres 211 people viewing this thread. Nothing like the prospect of a good MCS to keep people up XD

Posted
That'll be to your ESE. There's a cell moving North Westwards that's heading my way. Should be here in half an hour or so.

Is that cell electrified paul. May stay up if it is.

Posted
is it just me or has the IOW weather detector stopped updating, showing a flat line and all of the strikes stalled!

It's updating now, always seems to do that at midnight for some reason :D

Posted
Can confirm thunder to the SE of my position...it's on its way to you Paul.

I'm not far from Wrexham town centre and haven't heard any thunder at all, or seen any flashes. I was all set for bed a couple hours ago but may end up staying awake all night now lol

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Have occasional sheet lightning flashing to the S of Tunbridge Wells, very still and humid out there, classic calm before the storm?

post-1052-1246576506_thumb.png

Posted
Genius :D

In reply to glideslope... I don't think theres much CAPE around at all for those storms to continue going over the next few hours, I think they will start to lose intensity.

Hey andy, enough upper level instability for these storms I would think, they should be alright hopefully. They can't be surface based so they will be alright. Depends on the extent of upper level instability

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
Its down to either high levels of pollution in the stagnant humid air, or there are microscopic sand particles in the atmospere that have come from northern africa / sahara. If it rains and then everything has a thin coating of dust it'll be sand particles.

Could he orange colour be something to do with the recent eruption in russia, is aparantly been giving nice sunsets around the world.

I realy hope i see something sometime, Im looking forward to more unsetelled weather though, i think i have a greater chance of storms then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Thanks Nick, you have more charts to look at which you understand to see that the storms will track further north. When looking at no cape and + li ahead of the MCS then I feel negative about them moving too much further.

Posted
Wow, some impressive noise on the radio (AM) really loud clear pops almost constantly!

Happy days!!!

do you need to tune to specific frequencies?

Posted
Could he orange colour be something to do with the recent eruption in russia, is aparantly been giving nice sunsets around the world.

I realy hope i see something sometime, Im looking forward to more unsetelled weather though, i think i have a greater chance of storms then.

I realy need to stop playing world of warcraft so much, didn't even know there'd been a volcanic eruption :D

Posted
Thanks! Glad I took it when I did, it's just disappeared. It was pretty low but nowhere near setting, so I guess the tops of the incoming front must have obscured it. What height do you think these storms are hitting right now?

Well id say they are probably between 30-35,000ft at a rough guess. High based, with positively charged tops id imagine.

Posted
IC lightning here, no thunder or rain yet though.

first lightning o the year though! :D

I'd better go and have a look, falling asleep waiting for this storm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Hey andy, enough upper level instability for these storms I would think, they should be alright hopefully. They can't be surface based so they will be alright. Depends on the extent of upper level instability

Ah ok thanks :D See I don't know much about forecasting storms lol, I just thought that if CAPE and LI index was bad then storms would be unlikely to last once they hit that atmosphere where there is little CAPE and a lifted index that is over 1.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder & Lightning, Snow, Wind
It's updating now, always seems to do that at midnight for some reason :D

Noticed the UKStorms storms one stalled too, my guess is some kind of logging or reset going on at midnight!!!

I just hoping my HD Camera can catch it if it dont veer off from crawley (nothing comes to crawley, not even weather lol)